Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2011 ETEC Bombardier engine..  (Read 19401 times)

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 ETEC Bombardier engine..
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »
The Lotus Tri-Fuel ( Omnivore engine) suppose to enter production in 2011.. a reliable 2 stroke engine on the road!! ;D
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 12:49:03 PM »
2smoker, this new Etec is truly the answer to all my dreams, it really is. I've been waiting since the mid 70's for an engine like this, for the street. I'm just saying that for the dirt it seems a bit much. But what do i know. Regardless, if it shows up on a dirtbike i'll be one of the very first on line at my dealer ;-)

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 01:42:14 PM »
2smoker, this new Etec is truly the answer to all my dreams, it really is. I've been waiting since the mid 70's for an engine like this, for the street. I'm just saying that for the dirt it seems a bit much. But what do i know. Regardless, if it shows up on a dirtbike i'll be one of the very first on line at my dealer ;-)

I'll be with you brother..!! BTW I ride the street also.. I sold my last sportbike last year.. 06 Kawasaki ZX-10r.. I almost bought the new Beemer.. I dream about a 2dope on the street! It will be so light and fun to ride but nowadays customers want a fast easy bike to ride with a predictable powerband :(

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 01:45:16 PM »
Have you guys checked out the Two Stroke Shop?? Some awesome machines from those guys, street two-strokes.. it's worth a visit to their site.

http://www.twostrokeshop.com/
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »
Any news when this baby will hit the showroom floors? Just an example that a fuel injected two stroke can remains small and compact...

http://www.ossamotorcycles.com.au/TR280i.htm

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 01:51:42 PM »
Have you guys checked out the Two Stroke Shop?? Some awesome machines from those guys, street two-strokes.. it's worth a visit to their site.

http://www.twostrokeshop.com/

Yep, The never finished their ZX-10r Ninja project with that 1100 cc two stroke engine in it :(

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 02:59:43 PM »
Would I go back to a carb on my road going vehicles? Not a chance, FI has been bullet proof on my MB's,Fords ,Volkswagens etc. and I would welcome DI on a dirtbike in a heartbeat.That monotone sound of the DI sleds is just a very efficient 2S with a broad powerband. To actually ride them is another matter - I think most people would be very impressed.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 03:35:18 PM »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »
Would I go back to a carb on my road going vehicles? Not a chance, FI has been bullet proof on my MB's,Fords ,Volkswagens etc. and I would welcome DI on a dirtbike in a heartbeat.That monotone sound of the DI sleds is just a very efficient 2S with a broad powerband. To actually ride them is another matter - I think most people would be very impressed.

Monotone sound? Never heard an MXZ with A BRP aftermarket exhaust??? Insane!

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 04:44:16 PM »
Wow, thanks TMKIWI! My whole thing was i wanted the technology to be perfected on the street first. But i supposed if it's good enough for a snowmobile..... :)
And I wholeheartedly agree with you - if not for direct injection there would be NO new 2 stroke outboards. it's certainly the savior of the 2 stroke.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 04:52:37 PM »
Here's what I'm worried about.  Let's say that these things are super-reliable, more so than a carbed 2T, and everything's all great.  Now, fast-forward thirty years.  Unlike most buyers, I actually intend to keep and ride any bike I buy for decades.  Let's say that something goes wrong, as it inevitably will when you start talking about decades.  The factory stopped making my particular engine twenty-five years ago, and none of their technicians know how to service them, because stuff changes and moves on.  In other words, it's exactly the situation I'd be in if something went wrong with my Husky today.

However, when something goes wrong with the Husky, you go on the internet, find the number for the part you need, maybe ask a few dudes who know about Huskies if it's a particularly scary job, and fix it in the garage with the part, some bolts, and an Allen wrench.  But what the hell am I supposed to make of something with all these computers and wires and electronics and crazy oil systems and finely-tuned sensors and automatic so-on-and-so-forth?  Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that maintenance on these sorts of engines is much more likely to be centered around the friendly local dealership than in the garage.  Already, when something goes wrong with my dad's '77 Power Wagon he can fix it himself.  But when something happens in the '98 Ram, there's a good chance he can fix it but also a good chance that he can't, and then it's off to the friendly local dealership.  When the friendly local dealership stops catering to your vehicle, or moves out of town, or whatever, what are we supposed to do?  Throw the thing in the garbage and buy a new one?  I hold far too much sentimental value on both of my bikes to dream of doing that.  I want to ride these things until I'm too old to ride anymore, I can't just get a new one.

That's my concern.  If they can make these things such that you can fix the thing in your garage or in the pits given the proper parts, then I'll be 100% for it.  In the meantime, I can only recommend that they simply dominate the street and leave the rough-ass off-road sort of work to a machine that can be maintained by a rough-ass off-road sort of person.  I hope that Boyesen exhaust valve thing comes to fruition, because that sounds like precisely what the doctor ordered.  Simple, mechanical, and effective.  Maybe not as effective as an 8MHz computer (I like how they term it in millions of calculations to make it sound impressive), but good enough for a vehicle that's going to get pounded on by the terrain.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 05:45:15 PM »
Here's what I'm worried about.  Let's say that these things are super-reliable, more so than a carbed 2T, and everything's all great.  Now, fast-forward thirty years.  Unlike most buyers, I actually intend to keep and ride any bike I buy for decades.  Let's say that something goes wrong, as it inevitably will when you start talking about decades.  The factory stopped making my particular engine twenty-five years ago, and none of their technicians know how to service them, because stuff changes and moves on.  In other words, it's exactly the situation I'd be in if something went wrong with my Husky today.

However, when something goes wrong with the Husky, you go on the internet, find the number for the part you need, maybe ask a few dudes who know about Huskies if it's a particularly scary job, and fix it in the garage with the part, some bolts, and an Allen wrench.  But what the hell am I supposed to make of something with all these computers and wires and electronics and crazy oil systems and finely-tuned sensors and automatic so-on-and-so-forth?  Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that maintenance on these sorts of engines is much more likely to be centered around the friendly local dealership than in the garage.  Already, when something goes wrong with my dad's '77 Power Wagon he can fix it himself.  But when something happens in the '98 Ram, there's a good chance he can fix it but also a good chance that he can't, and then it's off to the friendly local dealership.  When the friendly local dealership stops catering to your vehicle, or moves out of town, or whatever, what are we supposed to do?  Throw the thing in the garbage and buy a new one?  I hold far too much sentimental value on both of my bikes to dream of doing that.  I want to ride these things until I'm too old to ride anymore, I can't just get a new one.

That's my concern.  If they can make these things such that you can fix the thing in your garage or in the pits given the proper parts, then I'll be 100% for it.  In the meantime, I can only recommend that they simply dominate the street and leave the rough-ass off-road sort of work to a machine that can be maintained by a rough-ass off-road sort of person.  I hope that Boyesen exhaust valve thing comes to fruition, because that sounds like precisely what the doctor ordered.  Simple, mechanical, and effective.  Maybe not as effective as an 8MHz computer (I like how they term it in millions of calculations to make it sound impressive), but good enough for a vehicle that's going to get pounded on by the terrain.

Jetzcorp..again..we are in 2010..

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
So what?  I'm talking about when we're in 2040.  I don't know about you, but I intend to live that long, and I don't intend to throw away all my stuff every five years and buy it new again.  I want something with sticking power, that I can work on, and not put in the hands of some Dilbert-looking goon for $50/hour.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »
Problem is Jetz name 1 consumer product bought today that is made to last 20 years.
None/Zip/Nada.

Thats just the way the cookie crumbles.

Chris is would love to see a modern 500cc DI road bike.
The Bimota Vdue has stuffed that up a bit though.
Hopefully it will happen 1 day.

PS: I nearly bought a RG400 last week but the bidding went too high.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 08:00:04 PM »
Mercedes Benz diesel cars are very expensive but will easily last 20 years.