Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Food for thought  (Read 11074 times)

Recovered

Food for thought
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
Rule #1
I have always said a dirt bike enthusiast worst enemy is himself,

I have browsed the forum on and off. Typically I enjoy the passion of other 2 stroke enthusiasts. where I see the attitude of some of the posts, doing nothing to help your cause.  Bashing of brands, especially when not updated to cutting edge technology, AKA out dated styling of plastic. Yikes, your Killing me with this type of bone head response.  :o

Remember the Magazines and Internet are powerful and right / wrong or indifferent can sway peoples opinions without all the facts :-(

I have added a cover of a 1973 magazine with many brands. WOW I had a choice when I was growing up. Now other than a few 2 stroke brands kicking around, why in the world would anyone hurt any brand that is trying to stay or get into the 2 stroke market place?

I do know that some of the post are represented as good fun, beating up on poor Maico.  I have been around dirt bikes and part of what I have seen is, many smaller importers and dealers of off brands need some encouragement to stay in business. Remember no smart business man would do what there doing. Guess what? no profit in it and a lot of risk.

Again remember rule #1 
I have always said a dirt bike enthusiast worst enemy is himself,

Team Zundapp USA
Terry Davis

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »
Bro, the 2013 yz250 has 44hp! 02 had 48 pushing 50!  Who's damaging the sport exactly? Us? Try again. Plastics aren't the problem, its being fed the same crap over and over.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 10:13:46 PM »
The Japanese have become complacent, and not just in the off road markets. They not only keep selling the same old stuff, but bring out new bikes that would have been something 25 years ago.

But more importantly, why is there no Can-am TNT 125 in that enduro test?
Ontario, Canada

Recovered

Food for thought
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
But more importantly, why is there no Can-am TNT 125 in that enduro test?
[/quote]

Good catch about the Can Am 125, I have added the 1974 test.

Team Zundapp USA
Terry Davis

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:24:41 PM »
Not sure what bike manufacture your talking about, but the same old mx formula applies. If you want to sell bikes, hire a rider that wins everthing. Even for a class like 40 plus that has 43 on the gate. If the rider wins on the ZingZang 125 2013 model, other riders think it,s something they need to win. My opionion  technically the bikes hit the summit, it all starts with the frame  04 cr125 will have the best frame in 2024 yet. Suspensions and engines can be tweeked to suit anyone, if a rider mods his 04-05 engine to his liking, a  stock 2013 125 is not as good.  I,m buying a couple hgs pipes and maybe a ignition  next year.  If we all bought new ktm,s  or tm,s the track would be dull. I,m glad everyone is different and likes different bikes, there all great bikes. I think the 95 yz125 has a good package, prefer it over a new one. Yet no one races a 95 anymore.

Offline motoxr377

• Junior
  • RM GUY
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 12:24:18 AM »
One problem with entering a market are barriers to entry.  What barriers are there, and what can be overcome in order to spawn more production and hopefully more demand of 2t's?

These are open questions.  I don't expect us to hammer out a corporate strategy tonight.  In a forum.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »
 As a Maico rider I'm used to the rib poking! ;)

I commented about this in another post and I'll say it again - I wonder if the industry has plateaued and we are into a long downhill slide into oblivion. As an enthusiast all I can say is things are mighty boring right now and the sport might improve with a couple of Euro cottage manufacturers coming on line but it "ain't" like it was. As Herr Zuendapp has pointed out look at the selection of just 125 enduros in the early 70's! Gad zooks those were good times.

What really worries me is what my business background is telling me - that the motorcycle industry is a mature industry where flat/declining demand and entrenched competition has removed any hope of making a buck.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Food for thought
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 06:20:28 PM »
I don't think there is any way that the offroad motorcycle industry is NOT in decline. All the variables that lead to more offroad riding are heading in the wrong direction. Cost of equipment, cost of fuel, environmental concerns, crowding. Just not going to grow anymore.

someone argue with me

please
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »
Everything you said was true, and all of it was caused by personal agenda's. Global warming Hoax, Fuel Shortage right Carter tried pulling that card in the eighties, environmental laws borderline terrorism(EPA is the best example). Yes, it all comes down to the personal agenda and screw everyone else. As for population concerns, it shouldn't be a problem. Birthrates are down by considerable amount, the population in Asia will soon fix itself due to the murdering of girls. It isn't just the off road world that is suffering, its everything. You think our economy is bad? We're heading down the same route Australia and Europe and they are suffering horribly. Its all about the entitlements and personal agenda's lmfao.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Food for thought
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
I thought I requested someone argue with me....  :D

But, to your post, global warming is not a hoax. That said the emissions of offroad scooters and other toys are such a miniscule addition to airborne carbon nobody should be worrying about them on that account. And as far as population growth is concernded check out this graph. Yes, I have heard folks in the know say that this is leveling off but you look at this chart and the slope of that line from 1950 tp today is arrow straight. The only leveling off in the chart is noted in the "projected" points. We shall see. It also shows that 85% of the population today showed up in the past 70 years or so. This for a species that has been around for a couple hundred thousand years (or 6000 depending on who you talk to). The tailing off trend has yet to assert itself. Humans breed like rats.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »
good now if only the 47% would just die off we would all be better off. the earth warms and cools and species go extinct its been this way since the begining of time as we know it. do not be a chicken little or the little kid afraid to toss his blankey. in the emortal words of bearasso "harden the f@#k up!" hows that for aruement citabjockey?

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 09:52:14 PM »
oh yeah rule #1 is don't follow. for those of you who don't know.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Food for thought
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 10:11:01 PM »
Yes, earth warms and cools. But we are on the upswing temp wise and our "activities" as a whole are not helping. And I am hardening up to take all this into account. Hope you are too.

Now I don't post here just for my health. I post here because I love bikes, love to ride them and work on them and play with them. I also post here because I am amazed by the simplicity and power of two stroke hardware. But I also will express my opinions on subjects that are related to my hobby - even tangentially. Environmental impacts included. I don't think I should be told to "harden the FI*^k up" just for that -- should I? I simply pointed out a couple of things that related to the gradual decline in the folks partaking in our sport.

Sorry some people don't like that.

Now - where were we? Oh yes, the original post - "dirt bikers are our own worst enemies". I think I would have to agree to a certain extent.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »
not afraid to die citab wether by falling sky or dirt bike accident and i care about enviroments, you asked for argument i delivered.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Food for thought
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 10:20:40 PM »
An argument at to why our hobby is actually growing? Sorry -- I didn't see that. Where was it?

not afraid to die citab wether by falling sky or dirt bike accident and i care about enviroments, you asked for argument i delivered.