Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Food for thought  (Read 11057 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2012, 07:27:16 AM »
Warning threadjack....
TMK, please make a thread on your day at VMX. I for one would love to read it.

Waiting on photos.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »
It reduces emmissions by 1) Investment of the carbon tax funds into the development of renewable energy sourses and 2) by increasing the cost of fossil fuels it makes renewable energy more price competitive!

I know what the purpose of the tax is and agree in principle.
My problem with it is that it will be administrated by the same wankers/bankers that has put the world in the situation we are in now.
You give them a few hundred billion dollars to play with and the end result will not be pretty. >:-D
It's not like the money will just sit in an account for a rainy day.

I personally dont agree, but thats ok.

I actually had it wrong, this is where the carbon tax is going:

"This is where the recycling of the carbon tax revenue is important. Tax revenues are earmarked for assistance to the so-called emission-intensive, trade-exposed industries and for household assistance. Household assistance takes the form of direct payments (the Clean Energy Supplement for low and middle-income households) and a significant increase in the tax-free threshold to over $18,000. This redistributes the burden of the carbon tax away from those who can afford it least."

cited from http://theconversation.edu.au

up to you whether you think its a good idea or not, everyone's entitled to an opinion, and I cant say for sure whether either of us are correct, only time will tell.

I live near the beach so Ill tell you when the water is lapping at the foot of my bed ;)

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »
What was this thread about? The decline of the dirt bike industry / sales?
Global warming????

yeah I know, but its interesting ;)

PS: thats what happens when a thread has an ambiguous title haha

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »

One question What is the worse green house gas?  I saw a show that said menthane is 10 time's the green house gas that carbon is and termite's put more of it into the atmosphere than all of man kind does carbon.   

KIM

Unfortuntely we cant use the termites as scape goats, similarly we cant use volcanoes as scape goats either.
why? because these emmissions are natural and cannot be reduced.
If the termites were driving hummers itd be a different story.

however removing livestock farming has a profound effect on not just greenhouse emissions.

1) Emmisions: One person going without meat is the equivalent of taking 2.5 cars off the road in terms of equivalent methane vs C02,

2) Water:  saves approximately 1,000,000 liters of water per year (based on the Av american dietary intake),

3) Health: significantly reduces risk of
   a) cancer,
   b) diabetes,
   c) heart disease,
   d) stroke and
   e) obesity

4) and also does it bit for world hunger (68% of the worlds grains are reserved for feeding livestock)

how many birds with one stone?  ;)

Yeah, just what me need - more vegans. It is an avolutionary fact you know that as we moved from a vegitarian diet to a more meat-sentric  diet, our brains got bigger and we developed better leaning and communication skills. A move to a vegitarian diet, evolutionary, would cause our brains to shrink.

Thus, Vegitarians are stupid.

;D

Don't hate me. Just being funny.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2012, 01:03:44 PM »

One question What is the worse green house gas?  I saw a show that said menthane is 10 time's the green house gas that carbon is and termite's put more of it into the atmosphere than all of man kind does carbon.   

KIM

Unfortuntely we cant use the termites as scape goats, similarly we cant use volcanoes as scape goats either.
why? because these emmissions are natural and cannot be reduced.
If the termites were driving hummers itd be a different story.

however removing livestock farming has a profound effect on not just greenhouse emissions.

1) Emmisions: One person going without meat is the equivalent of taking 2.5 cars off the road in terms of equivalent methane vs C02,

2) Water:  saves approximately 1,000,000 liters of water per year (based on the Av american dietary intake),

3) Health: significantly reduces risk of
   a) cancer,
   b) diabetes,
   c) heart disease,
   d) stroke and
   e) obesity

4) and also does it bit for world hunger (68% of the worlds grains are reserved for feeding livestock)

how many birds with one stone?  ;)

Yeah, just what me need - more vegans. It is an avolutionary fact you know that as we moved from a vegitarian diet to a more meat-sentric  diet, our brains got bigger and we developed better leaning and communication skills. A move to a vegitarian diet, evolutionary, would cause our brains to shrink.

Thus, Vegitarians are stupid.

;D

Don't hate me. Just being funny.

All good, but scientifically incorrect.

Humans moved to meat because it was a more reliable food source which offered a lot more 'bang for your buck' in the early days, long before farming/crops existed.
I like to think that is why Sam Neal (Jurassic Park) in the meat ad says " meat, we WERE meant to eat it", not ARE

And in terms of evolutionary traits we still have the teeth of a herbivore (no, canines arent fangs) and a digestive system of a herbivore (digestion time and chemicals in the stomach).

These days the only things keeping people eating meat is 1) culture; 2) habit; 3) tradition

I can tell you one thing though, I'm a vegan and ride a two stroke so my brain must have grown pretty darn well haha.

I like to think that Im offseting my two stoke habits haha,

PS: dont confuse vegans with hippies, the two are mutually exclusive.
hippies talk about saving the world yet drive gas guzzling Kombis and talk about changing the world but instead take acid at dub-step festivals.
hippy is short for hypocrite, therefore I completely agree with Eric Cartma: kill the hippies before their djembe drum circles take over the world.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2012, 01:32:18 PM »
I would probably die of starvation before I go vegan or vegetation or what ever. Cows are gooooood.

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »

And in terms of evolutionary traits we still have the teeth of a herbivore (no, canines arent fangs) and a digestive system of a herbivore (digestion time and chemicals in the stomach).

These days the only things keeping people eating meat is 1) culture; 2) habit; 3) tradition

Humans do not produce cellulase and cannot digest cellulose, (instead relying on bacterial action in the gut ) however can readily digest proteins, such as well, meat due to the enzymes present :) To me, this means that the human body has not evolved to eat vegatables and that we were built to eat dead animals. Steak please.

Discuss :p

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »
And in terms of evolutionary traits we still have the teeth of a herbivore (no, canines arent fangs) 

Fangs are not exclusive with eating meat, however they are necessary for biting into flesh attempting to escape or tearing tough hides. We have long since abandoned gnawing on live animals and developed tools (with our big brains) to cut and skin our meat and no longer need the long fangs.

You left off the best reason: TASTE! Meat tastes good. Something vegitables do not!
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 03:46:32 PM »
Cow consumers can relax, Homo Sapien Sapiens are carnivores, or more accurately, omnivores. Like bears, for example, we can thrive on just about anything we stumble across and indeed this is one of the keys to our success. The clues are eyes positioned on the front of our heads (depth perception), incisors in our mouths (just watch a vampire movie) and an ability to hunt in packs, which we use to great success when we go to war and eliminate huge numbers of ourselves. Meat is condensed energy, herbivores eat all day and then carnivores pick them off, gorging only now and then to thrive. ;D

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »
TMKIWI , have you got pictures to be posted?

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
And in terms of evolutionary traits we still have the teeth of a herbivore (no, canines arent fangs) 

Fangs are not exclusive with eating meat, however they are necessary for biting into flesh attempting to escape or tearing tough hides. We have long since abandoned gnawing on live animals and developed tools (with our big brains) to cut and skin our meat and no longer need the long fangs.

You left off the best reason: TASTE! Meat tastes good. Something vegitables do not!

Yes our fangs are for flesh, the flesh of fruit haha. Have you seen the size of the canines on gorillas?

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
I would probably die of starvation before I go vegan or vegetation or what ever. Cows are gooooood.

Honestly, I agree, Most people probably would fail miserably as you need to eat alot of different stuff. Not weird stuff, just a very varied diet.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2012, 08:49:21 PM »
Cow consumers can relax, Homo Sapien Sapiens are carnivores, or more accurately, omnivores. Like bears, for example, we can thrive on just about anything we stumble across and indeed this is one of the keys to our success. The clues are eyes positioned on the front of our heads (depth perception), incisors in our mouths (just watch a vampire movie) and an ability to hunt in packs, which we use to great success when we go to war and eliminate huge numbers of ourselves. Meat is condensed energy, herbivores eat all day and then carnivores pick them off, gorging only now and then to thrive. ;D

The eyes at the front of the head are identical to that of our ape ancestors which were herbivore. Do you honestly think that half a million years ago some dude with sideways eyes ate meat and then their eyes slowly started moving forward?

Our incisors and canines are no different to that of cows, monkeys and giraffes; for tearing trough the flesh of fruit and vegetables.

As for the hunting, yes we are a very cunning and adaptative species who learnt to hunt very quickly to survive. However That need to survive no longer exists due to modern farming and civilization.

So my theory is, we don't need it anymore to survive, it's bad for you (carcinogenic proven in the chine study, heart disease and obesity), and its bad for the earth (water use, greenhouse gases etc)
And that's not even getting into the ethics of it all which I won't get into.

So your not going to die, it's bad for you, it's damaging the world and its unethical.
The only thing against its is that it tastes good? But I can tell you as a previous meat lover that after about a month or two I felt physically sick when ii accidentally ate a small piece of meat.

Anyhow I don't want to sound like I'm preaching or converting, this is just a healthy debate

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Food for thought
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »
eyes in front because we are predators.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile