Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What two stroke pre mix is best?  (Read 52088 times)

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000301824082&ref=profile
Re: What two stroke pre mix is best?
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »
I have run Maxima 927@40:1 for years w/o a single failure on all kinds and sized bikes,and will be running it in my 250 i just picked up

Honda CR-250R #2.....Vet Class
CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline RedFoxCR

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 05:44:59 AM »
I ran some synthetic Teboil and that was crap.I've burned a piston. i had a few liters and when i finally ran out of it, i went to the nearest chainsaw dealer store. It's an authorised Stihl center and it's located in the ground floor of my block. (Yeah, we're civilized! We don't have any bears wandering around the streets!!!) I bought there some blue semi-syntetic stuff called Stihl HP super, 14 bux per litre ,an oil for two-stroke engines. I thought: man, how long can you hit the gas? a few seconds? a minute? While a chainsaw works CONSTANTLY AT TOP rpm!!!! So, the protective qualities are obvious.
Now i have little left, so i went to an opposite block, where  AGIP dealer is (Russians ain't no tribesmen! we're civilized!!!) and bought AGIP Cross 2t . Haven't tried it yet.

What do you think?
Neytiri:Now you choose your CR 500R. This you must
feel - inside.If he also chooses you,move quick, like I showed.You will have one chance, Jake.
Jake:How will I know if he chooses me?
Neytiri:He will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »
I use AGIP KART , it's very very good oil and so is CROSS 2T. Much better than the chainsaw stuff.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2010, 04:48:51 PM »
Over here Stihl oil is made by castrol-not sure about euro.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline RedFoxCR

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2010, 12:13:51 PM »
I use AGIP KART , it's very very good oil and so is CROSS 2T. Much better than the chainsaw stuff.

You sure? I jetted the bike for Agip mixture and it seems fine. But what about protective qualities. Somewhere in the forum there was an article abot semi-synt . It is supposed not to boil out the cylinder, but to crack and form heavy, hi-viscosity esters, protecting the engine
feel - inside.If he also chooses you,move quick, like I showed.You will have one chance, Jake.

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »

You sure? I jetted the bike for Agip mixture and it seems fine. But what about protective qualities. Somewhere in the forum there was an article abot semi-synt . It is supposed not to boil out the cylinder, but to crack and form heavy, hi-viscosity esters, protecting the engine
Petroleum-based oils will not form esters when heated. Only castor will do that.

Offline RedFoxCR

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 12:15:38 AM »
Castor oil? You mean that stuff, sold in drugstores? Heard about it. How much should i add?

Offline teriks

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2010, 01:22:10 AM »
Castor oil? You mean that stuff, sold in drugstores? Heard about it. How much should i add?
You could always add a small quantity of for the great smell of it ;)

Seriously unless you are prepared to clean the power valve and combustion chamber often, don't use it. It sure has some great qualities, but I personally don't think it's worth using in an (recreational) mx bike.
This comes from someone who's forced by rules to use a mix of 80% methanol and 20% castor in model racing engines. -Tear down and clean, clean clean every ~10 minutes of running... it have saved me from disaster when running too lean a number of times thoug.

Here's some old but good info on castor oil.
http://www.go-cl.se/castor.html
The discussion is mainly about application in two-stroke model engines, but it's still applicable on a two-stroke mx bike.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:24:29 AM by teriks »

Offline RedFoxCR

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 02:38:37 AM »
So, i've read the article. And the only thing i can't deal with is what is "TOO lean". How can i feel the edge between "lean" and 'too lean'??

Offline teriks

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 05:13:22 AM »
That's where experience, plug reading and such come into play I guess.
I really don't have too much experience of tuning a gasoline two-stroke engine, and I'm convinced that it's behavior differs a bit from the methanol glow-ignition engines I'm used to.

In other words, your question is better answered by someone else. :)

Edit: I do own and run a dirt-bike, a KTM 250SX. It's got more power than I need, so i have no reason for jetting it "on the edge". Hence no real experience in tuning an mx bike.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:18:48 AM by teriks »

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 06:48:23 AM »

Unless you have found some thing that EVERY GP125/Shifterkart/Sprint kart/vintage mx and road racers have yet uncovered. They use power valves etc etc. If you have deposits/gum it's your jetting and igniton that is at fault.

The difference between lean and too lean is the former you go fast the latter you go real fast then stop.

Offline teriks

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 07:44:22 AM »

Unless you have found some thing that EVERY GP125/Shifterkart/Sprint kart/vintage mx and road racers have yet uncovered. They use power valves etc etc. If you have deposits/gum it's your jetting and igniton that is at fault.
I guess that was a response to my post? If not, just forget this part.

I can see that I was a bit unclear, the "Tear down and clean, clean clean every ~10 minutes of running"-part applies to my 6.6cm^3 (.40cui) engines producing around 4hp at some 33000 to 34000rpm. Due to design they are very sensitive to deposits.
A typical two-stroke MX-engine would not require even close to the same amount of cleaning.
I still believe that running castor oil in an mx bike will lead to more deposits than a modern syntetic oil. Not worth it in a recreational bike i.m.o.
The difference between lean and too lean is the former you go fast the latter you go real fast then stop.
Sounds similar enough to the small engines. Really fast to start with -> Loss of power -> Sudden stop. ;)

Offline FatBiker

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2010, 08:41:21 PM »
I fully agree modern synthetics have a lot of plusses...however with ANY "performance" two stroke oil price is not one of them!

You would surprise yourself trying the cheapest outboard boat oil you can find that's certified TC -w3 or whatever that is...

Walmart supertech is less than 10 a gallon, and will blow your mind in performance when mixed at appropriate ratios (around 30:1 for most people works great)

Penzoil's oil is great too...along with a lot of other "budget" outboard oils.

As far as mx specific oils, pretty much can't go wrong if you mix at the right ratio for your application, some of the amsoil products burn incredibly clean though I have had some odd issues with it in other areas.
Castor 927 is IMHO the best all out race lubricant but I suggest frequent tear downs with it for carbon.

It's interesting that you mention such cheap 2 smoke oil.  When I drug home my "new" '82 RM 250 I didn't have any 2 stroke oil.  I went up to Wal Mart and bought there brand of "outboard" 2 stroke oil, Supertech.  I just wanted to see if/how good my new acquisition ran.  It ran a little smokey at first, iirc they all do 'til warm, but then cleaned right up after a few rips around the back 2 1/2.  It runs great on that stuff!  I doubt I'll run it after this bottle runs out.  It stinks just like a chainsaw but seems to work.  I mixed it 32:1.

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2010, 09:46:57 AM »
klotz super techniplate is awesome.  It smells amazing and i have never had any problems what so ever with it. 

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »
klotz super techniplate is awesome.  It smells amazing and i have never had any problems what so ever with it. 

x2

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!