Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Time to update the RM  (Read 6772 times)

Offline MetalMike1982

• View Profile
Time to update the RM
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:38:31 AM »
 Whats up guys i've been busy at work for the past 2 days reaserching and ordering parts online to do some upgrades on my trusty rm125 .  Now I get to play the waiting game for all the parts to get here , some cosmetic and some performance  . I cant freakin wait , I'm going to post a before pic and in a few days I'll post some after pics .  The before pic is literally the day I brought it home and aside from maint. and chainging the carb settings and rear sprocket Its still exactly the same . I bought it thinking it was a 2001 model as it had no title just a bill of sale from the previous owner . He was asking $1600 for it I was on a limited budget so I offered all I had and told him I completely understood if he had to get more for the bike than the $1100 I had to offer. He thought about it for a few minutes then said ok and I was stoked . it has the original (steel) bars that are straight as an arrow and had no paint rubbed off the  motor and is tight all around . Later on while going over the vin# I realize its an 03. sweeet!  Its by far the nicest bike I've ever owned .

heres my baby now
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Recovered

Time to update the RM
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 01:03:14 AM »
I used to live right where you do.

My friend and I would literally get off work at about 4pm, and with the last 2-3 hours of remaining daylight would run up to Croom, and run motos in the front pit until the sun went down.

For those of you who don't know what the front pit of Croom is, it was referred to by Davy Coombs, as the only suitable training spot in the U.S. for the Lommel MXoN.

Lommel

Croom

do it.  You'll be a beast, like me.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Time to update the RM
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:12:59 AM »
Drool...

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
Time to update the RM
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 04:07:01 AM »
Sweet ride...

Offline MetalMike1982

• View Profile
Time to update the RM
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »
I used to live right where you do.

My friend and I would literally get off work at about 4pm, and with the last 2-3 hours of remaining daylight would run up to Croom, and run motos in the front pit until the sun went down.

For those of you who don't know what the front pit of Croom is, it was referred to by Davy Coombs, as the only suitable training spot in the U.S. for the Lommel MXoN.

Lommel

Croom

do it.  You'll be a beast, like me.

Yeah I live about 40 minutes north of Brooksville. They close down at 5 on the dot now , and they will sweep the park . They are also closed on tues,thurs now . Something to do with state budget or some crap . I've ridden croom since I was 9or 10  and a lot has changed but its still all we got so we ride and enjoy it . Just sucks now that during the week is the only safe time to ride in the front pit otherwise its mayhem out there with 100 bikes  all riding at the same time in different directions .  but back in highschool I would take my kx250 to school with me chained in the back of my truck and go straight their when last period bell rang and do motos in the front pit . I've talked to people all over the country and everyone's usually heard of croom . :D

Recovered

Time to update the RM
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
Croom moments:

Damon Badshaw shows up, and this was back when you could ride out on Croom road...you know how the road is lined with whoops along side of it for basically 2-3 miles?  He blitzed about a halfmile of whoops, straight down the road.  Turned around, blitzed them back.  Loaded up the bike and left.  This was before his first retirement.  maybe 92 during Bike week?

Damon Huffman was practicing starts right in the middle of the back parking area near the pavilions. Suzuki 125 days, Bike week, 94.

Pastrana... LOL...  you know suicide hill?  You know how it cuts a trench into the side of the hill?  He was up top, riding perpendicular to it, bunny hopping over the trench on an RM125.  Winter of 95 or so.

That place has some history.  It's really a shame it's not what it used to be, and its almost completely because of quad idiots.  You know back in the 90s they banned 3 wheelers and Honda Odysseys (those dune buggy things) from that place. 

But yea, that place would make you faster.  You should go ride Sunshine's track.  Lakeland used to be bad ass too, but it's closed.  This is Lakeland quick track in January 08.  Ricky Renner was there that day on a CR125.  Lakeland was so rough and shitty, it makes everything else look like a turbo tilled highway. Camel backs, with camel back on them.

Offline MetalMike1982

• View Profile
Time to update the RM
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
Croom moments:

Damon Badshaw shows up, and this was back when you could ride out on Croom road...you know how the road is lined with whoops along side of it for basically 2-3 miles?  He blitzed about a halfmile of whoops, straight down the road.  Turned around, blitzed them back.  Loaded up the bike and left.  This was before his first retirement.  maybe 92 during Bike week?

Damon Huffman was practicing starts right in the middle of the back parking area near the pavilions. Suzuki 125 days, Bike week, 94.

Pastrana... LOL...  you know suicide hill?  You know how it cuts a trench into the side of the hill?  He was up top, riding perpendicular to it, bunny hopping over the trench on an RM125.  Winter of 95 or so.

That place has some history.  It's really a shame it's not what it used to be, and its almost completely because of quad idiots.  You know back in the 90s they banned 3 wheelers and Honda Odysseys (those dune buggy things) from that place. 

But yea, that place would make you faster.  You should go ride Sunshine's track.  Lakeland used to be bad ass too, but it's closed.  This is Lakeland quick track in January 08.  Ricky Renner was there that day on a CR125.  Lakeland was so rough and shitty, it makes everything else look like a turbo tilled highway. Camel backs, with camel back on them.

Those were the good ole days . I do remimber the whoops down both sides of the road and hardly any fenceing . The road is paved now almost all the way to the camp ground and fenced all over the place .

As far as the 3 wheelers I geuss they are allowed again because I used to take my 200x there all the time a year or so ago but no side by sides or pilots , etc allowed. Pastrana has been known to ride croom . The track behind the front pit that s on the other side of the fence is owned by randy Yoho and pro riders are always tearing it up .
Never ridden any fl tracks exept for dade city and Hard rock in Ocala and gatorback.

Offline MetalMike1982

• View Profile
Time to update the RM
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 05:15:04 PM »
 Well the mail man was nice to me today got a few things in and on top of that my wheels are being laced as we speak .  I'm starting a stash so i'm not putting one thing on the bike until I have everything . So I can do it all at once .  Cant wait , my bikes been good to me so It deserves some new stuff .

Recovered

Time to update the RM
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »
Yea, thats Randy Asshole's track.  The guy is a cunt.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Time to update the RM
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »
Very sharp RM I remember that seat cover. Your lucky it,s a 03 and not a 01, the 01 had the foot pegs mounted too low, it ripped your feet off the pegs alot. In 02 suzuki rased the pegs up, the 01 had a better low to mid power tho. Little RM tricks the clutch pull rod,that goes threw the cases, take a file to the ends of the pull rod, to take the rough burrs off. Always keep a spare plastic clip for the power valve, in your tool box or change the plastic clip every other topend, the clips break. On 4-29 Dyracuse- raipid angels Mc club, in Wisconsin Raipds a deep old school sand track is having a 35 plus 125 class.

Recovered

Time to update the RM
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »
they've almost all got basket creep.  if you're going to race it, a clutch/basket assembly is a must.  go outside, pull in the clutch, snick it into 2nd, and bring the revs way up like youre about to get a start.  you'll feel it fighting you to creep forward.  I put a Moose kit on mine with steel friction plates. it was a little heavier, i felt a little faster that way.  This was a 250 though.  an 05.  They had serious bark.  basket creep is a suzuki-wide thing though.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Time to update the RM
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »
Yeah that,s a Suzuki trait, you have to hold the front brake on starts,with the stock basket. To have a reliable clutch it,s best to run the 3 piece hinson unit. I put just the hinson basket on a 98 rm125, the pressure plate was warped, so it still creaped.

Offline MetalMike1982

• View Profile
Time to update the RM
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 08:28:41 PM »

they've almost all got basket creep.  if you're going to race it, a clutch/basket assembly is a must.  go outside, pull in the clutch, snick it into 2nd, and bring the revs way up like youre about to get a start.  you'll feel it fighting you to creep forward.  I put a Moose kit on mine with steel friction plates. it was a little heavier, i felt a little faster that way.  This was a 250 though.  an 05.  They had serious bark.  basket creep is a suzuki-wide thing though.

Already being handled , the entire clutch is getting replaced  :D .  I dont plan on raceing it for an entire season but I will probably race a few times this year just for fun . Dade city is starting to have a pretty good size 2 stroke turnout lately which makes me happy but yeah Randy can be a jackass i dont care though his wife always calls me sweetie  :D and she still looks 20 yrs younger than him .

Recovered

Time to update the RM
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:13 PM »
The reason he is married to her, and not his first wife, is because Vince Devane fucked his old wife in a box van at the track.  He divorced her, and kicked Vince out of the track for about 15 years.  When he got remarried, he let Vince back in.  That daughter of his that takes the ticket money at the gate is from his new wife.  

Vince was the man in the 80s.  On 105s he used to smoke Buddy Antunez and Mike Healey.  Broke his leg so bad the bone came through the skin and stuck in his boot.  He wasn't the same after that.  

I have a Dade City trophy from 07.  Went out there and won a B/C/Beginner combined class, with heat from a fast ass little 13 yr old kid on an RM125.  Don't laugh, 75lb kids on 125s with no fear, haul serious ass.  That fucking place...  shitty piece of property, sandy dirt, 37 second lap times, crappy lighting, and yet it draws the biggest crowd in FL.  

First gate pick like a boss, my buddy had about 3rd..  he lines up next to me, I look over at him and say "Tonight we dine in hell."  got into the first corner and ripped the fork guard slap off the front of his shiny new CRF450.  If two people ever collided on a track, it was always the 2 of us.

Try going to hard rock as much as possible.  The water tower jump will make a man out of you.

Offline MetalMike1982

• View Profile
Time to update the RM
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »
  Yeah that daughter of his is smokin hott , I'd like to hang out with her in a box van .  8) . As for hard rock your right about the water tower jump , this kid came down from michigan to ride in Florida for a month ( a friend of a friend) and on his second day here we were at hardrock after a 10 or 15 lap moto he kept asking me "what gear are you hitting it in man ?" Him being on a brand new kawi450 and me being on a 98 kx250 I tell him "dude our bikes are different man but Im hittin it in 4th railed . Next time out he overshot it and broke his leg in 3 places ending his month of riding about 28 days early. That jump is so much fun after you get used to launching into nothing but blue ski . Do you ever come back to FL ?