Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Maico Int'l Brand to UK  (Read 10034 times)

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
Maico Int'l Brand to UK
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »
Thanks for the update Charles as I'm sure everyone is just waiting to see an actual picture of an actual Maico and something that says they actually exist. ;D

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2011/03/distributors-wanted-as-maico-brand-name-is-uk-bound/

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: Maico Int'l Brand to UK
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:52:38 AM »
If it gets to April the first and we still haven't seen the new bike I'll be the first to throw up the April Fools joke.

In all seriousness, it is a little sad, at the end of the day I am sure there are many Maico fans here, so all these delays just make us lose hope that the brand will ever be revived into something half decent.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »
As has been pointed out before, the problem isn't on their end, it's dealing with all the paperwork and bullshit to import into the US.  I think Washington is afraid that people are going to buy Maicos instead of Harleys and that'll "Tekker Jerbs!"

they took our jobs

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:08:55 AM »
As has been pointed out before, the problem isn't on their end, it's dealing with all the paperwork and bullshit to import into the US.I think Washington is afraid people will buy Maicos instead of Harleys.

Agreed.The US borders have been all but closed to trade in the last couple years.Just ask the Chinese. ::)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 02:25:31 PM »
Bullshit. Sure, U.S border issues may effect it's progress into the U.S but what about the rest of the world?
Given Maico is now a British company and formerly from Germany they'd be the first to acknowledge that the rest of the world is actually important for bike sales.

If they really are that silly to hold up a bikes release to the whole world by three + months due to some hold ups in one country it'd be crazy.
There is obviously something else going on here, please don't insult us by suggesting this is preventing the bikes actual release.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
Lol,that was just my weak attempt at humor Bioflex.I don't know what it is about this site,but whenever I try to post a  non happy smiley,I get a happy one anyway-just with different marks around it.I guess it's to show how happy we all are.The smiley at the end was supposed to be a "rolling eyes" one.If you look at the products all around you,you'll see how much difficulty the Chinese have getting their products to the US market.
On the other hand,the Harley/Maico thing has me intrigued.Somehow all I can  picture is opfermanmotors and Sachs riding through the woods with chrome bits,saddlebags and handlebar tassels.Yeah baby. ;D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 04:32:20 PM »
 It will be interesting to see how this saga unfolds with Koestler making Maicos in Germany and whatever is happening in England.

Only full patch members get the handlebar tassels, I'm not sure if Opfermann is quite there yet. ;D

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:48:09 PM »
This kind of threads make me laugh....

... probably because I know what's happening.  :P :P :P
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 05:52:16 PM »
Any hints?  :-*
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
As soon as I'm told I can say something, I'll post it on this forum... sorry Andrew!!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 06:29:06 PM »
There's a saying "It's only business", is that what is happening now? :-X

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 10:16:38 PM »
I wouldn't hold my breath for them.
The website still says Coming Soon, for almost a decade now!
And by the time they do come out, they'll be expensive,
coz otherwise they won't break even in the costs to produce this niche bike.
For now, all we keep hearing is talk, but no action. Not even the reasons for all delays.
Heck, these days they can't even speak for themselves anymore.
Untill then, there's plenty of other exotic 2 Stroke stuff already availabe.
Perhaps more news in 2013...

Don't get me wrong, i really hope they will kick some ass one day.
But i've read too many articles about this.
If you really want a 700cc 2 stroke, buy a Kostler Maico, and get the fancy Maico International
add on's.
Otherwise, you'll have to keep waiting and waiting.
If they do come out in 2011, at least they kept that promise.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:51:05 PM by EJ »

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 03:21:13 AM »
I just think it's sad that certain people know what is going on, yet the loyal members of TSM, who many of which are clearly Maico fains are being kept in the dark.
Let's go through the events of the last 12 months.

After we were told that Maico had changed ownership (which apparently happened some time before) the U.K owners gave us some nice teaers of what would be happening and from all reports it seemed as if new releases and what not weren't too far away.

With some organised and media savvy people at the helm, it appeared that Maico had a real shot at reinventing itself, especially in a time when people were getting fed up with the 4 stroke monotony.

From June 2010 Maico International started talking about next years model (check their press releases if you doubt this) and given bikes generally get key updates each year, it was fair to assume this bike would be released within a few months.
From the website displaying "a new era dawns" I am sure many Maico fans became very excited. I, and no doubt many like myself checked the site every day waiting with great anticipation as to when the new 4 stroke killer, which would not only revive the proud Maico name, but 2 strokes themselves would be released.

The end of the year got closer but again no pics of the actual bikes, just more talk of things to come.
I remember the day the website changed once more. At first I figured the actual bike had been released, then became very disappointed as it just seemed like a change for the sake of it.

Then we waited some more.... No doubt many of us felt a bit comforted (but a little surprised) when Maico released a statement saying that they would buck the trend by actually releasing their bikes at the start of the year (rather than 4 months early), and if nothing else it gave a small company (who were no doubt facing many issues) some more time.
Fair enough, I mean, why release a 2011 model before the new years ticks over, their explanation although convenient did seem logical.

Ok, no problem, lets wait for the new year. Drumroll please.......
One of the first things I did on January the 1st was check the Maico site, again quite surprised nothing had changed. Only days away, surely! Yes, I am happy to admit now I am a massive fan, which is why these delays and lack of pictures and clarification make things very frustrating.
The days rolled on, days turned into weeks, which of course turned into months.
Press releases got less and less frequent and from early January (when the bike was supposed to be release) we had to wait 2.5 months until we heard anything at all.

It is now Mid March, we are into the second season of the year and it is 6 months after the major manufacturers released their new years bikes. Maico are giving us nothing, in fact all we have is people like John making smiley faces about what he knows and what we don't.

Well Maico International, if your aim was to annoy people and have loyal fans lose respect for what you attempting to do, you have succeeded. Proper release dates would have been nice, if that was too difficult then at least an honest explanation as to what was happening (and why there have been so many delays) would have been appreciated.
Instead we had a period when we expected the bike to be released (Dec 2010 to Feb 2011) where absolutely no information was given at all.
We are the fans, we are the nice yet at the moment it seems we are being taken for fools.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 03:42:25 AM »
Although many are annoyed that they are unable to purchase the best dirt-bike in the world, there is some relief in the fact that the second-best dirtbike in the world, is still widely available. ;)

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 04:34:09 AM »
I can agree with that.
Until they get their act together I'll just keep collecting the older iron, only going to appreciate with age anyway.