Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: lil rumor  (Read 31930 times)

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
Re: lil rumor
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »
Sounds pretty well built-I've never done that to a swingarm-and I've gouged them on granites.My buddy is a Honda nut and from what I've seen on his recent years,I'd definitely disagree.

I wasnt your normal first turn bump...I got PLOWED.

Anybody can destroy a bike by not taking care of it, your buddy probably just needs to pull a little more maintinence.
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »
ethanol is also going to be a thing of the past as it has no benefits what so ever(It actually creates more carbon along with any other bio fuels).  Some gas stations like AMPM or BP, have doubled the amount of ethanol in their gas, and are currently wreaking havoc on cars. And even if you do believe in Global warming( ;D), ethanol is not the answer.

I just read last night that 40% of US corn production is being used for ethanol. :o
Now there is a shortage of feed for beef farmers which is putting the price of beef up. :(
Plus the shortage for foreign aid.
But i suppose if that brings down the CO output by just a little bit it does not matter if people starve.

Yep ethanol is real good. :-X
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 04:09:24 PM »
Couple of things here. Honda is a proud supporter of the greenies who keep getting riding areas closed in Cali. 2nd, I believe in UFO's or atleast that there are life forms elsewhere, but do not believe Honda will be producing a CR250 until they can't sell any CRF250's any more.  They would shoot themselves in the foot. In amateur racing, the bikes are cc for cc.  I've stated before, Honda has no goal of producing two competing bikes. 3rd, Ethanol, while bad in almost every sense of common sense, will make more HP on a built bike or car.  If you do not believe me, do some research.  First, the BTU is much much worse, but the fact is, you consume like 30% more fuel, but only lose 20% of the power per BTU. Thus, the overall ability is higher. That may be hard to understand.  But, the facts are: you can run a higher compression ratio, you can advance your timing, and you burn more to produce a higher HP rating. If you doubt this, go ask a turbo car guy what they use. Cost and HP make ethanol a great poor mans race fuel.  But again, I think ethanol is stupid.  Biobutanol from lawn grass would be worlds better. But won't happen. Greed rules my friends....
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline sinned

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
I wouldn't count on it. Honda has made it very clear that they will never make them again.
I don't see them going back on thier word.. again.

;D if smokers gain ground here in the west like they are in some parts of europe mr. honda may have to eat crow or continue to lose market share, and kawi / suzi will follow the leader.. 8)

Offline rookie

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 07:24:46 PM »
the honda cr is my dream bike when i first get to know about motocross racing back in 91

back then, the cr is the bike to get.

but now, sad...

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 08:11:06 PM »
Yeah TMKIWI,ethanol sucks it burns faster than nonethanol gas,it was suppose to lower the price at the pump.A few months ago the goverment passed a law saying stations can have a higher % of enthanol,unless you have a new vehicle your engine won,t last. There trying to get everyone to buy new cars,to bump the economy. There,s a ton of food made from corn,high frutose corn syrup is in everything. The largest oil basin discovery, was found in western N.Dakota last year. I called on a couple jobs there last april, they had over 500 wells producing oil. You have to bring a camper,since there,s no place to live, strange that the media won,t say a thing about billions of gallions of oil on our land.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 04:26:06 AM »
Sounds pretty well built-I've never done that to a swingarm-and I've gouged them on granites.My buddy is a Honda nut and from what I've seen on his recent years,I'd definitely disagree.

Anybody can destroy a bike by not taking care of it, your buddy probably just needs to pull a little more maintinence.

Nope.He does his maintenance.Honda has long lived on their reputation even when the quality slipped from what it used to be and their cars were no different but they have gotten better since Sochiro's son got booted out as ceo.
Les bought a new CRF450 in 02 when I got my 125SX.We took the first break in ride for both together.When we got back to the truck,his rear wheel was slopping all over the place.We thought initially the bearings had come out of it but it was just that all the spokes had come loose-and yes,he had checked them when he bought it.From new,the clutch lever rattled up and down like the RM's of the early 90's.Before the first ride,he took things apart to grease it and spun two of those blind nuts that those two little stupid plastic engine guards attached to.The airboxes on those all had a gap in them and would such dirt in to the engine.The swingarm chain guide was almost tissue paper thin and wore out in three rides.The trans oil ck hole was in the wrong place(it took Honda about 3 yrs to change it) so if you filled it up until oil weeped out,as per the manual,your level was too low and the kick starter would start jumping around as you rode as the idler began to seize.The push part of the push/pull throttle seized though taking it right off and lubing it with a power luber solved that-and so on and so on.
They're not a bad bike but they don't deserve the reputation they have.
The big five are the only ones I can reasonably comment on but I'd put them this way:

1-KTM
2-Yamaha
3-Honda
4-Suzuki/Kawasaki

There are some model specific exceptions to this and they all have their issues-and I know KTM had issues with a couple of theirs but they are generally bulletproof and overbuilt.Even stupid little things like the rear brake pedal-japs use a shaft and bushing,KTM uses double sealed bearings.
I never had one issue with either of my KTM's.

You're also hard pressed to beat the steel frame on the KTM's.I don't mind Aluminum frames how Yamaha does it but the big boxed frames on the other brands would bother me.Though they look stout they are actually quite thin on the outside where your knees rest.
Having worn through aluminum frame guards from my boots rubbing in short order,I can't help but wonder how thin those frames wear from grinding dirt up and down with your knees-especially if you keep the bike for a few years.

Les's old 92 CR125 was one of the best built  and best working bike I've ever ridden.It was bulletproof and he couldn't kill it-despite years of abuse.
I don't think the Honda's are bad-just that they don't always deserve the reputation they have.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:28:11 AM by ford832 »
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »
Who cares about a 02 crf450 anyway,spokes come loose on every new bike. I owned or rode all the 125,s  after 20 hours the only bike that feels new is the honda. I used to hate honda,s like alot of people, they handle so much better than anything made,clutch takes abuse like no other,trans. will take high rpm shifts,no clutch shifts,never pops out of gear,etc. The 06 to 011 yz125 has a problem blowing trans. gears up, a cr125 from the last 10 years will out last 5 yz trans. KTM has recent reliability issues with the 144 and 250, exploding cylinder heads,144 blows the clutch basket apart. KTM always had great motors, I never heard anyone raving about there handling,without great handling riding isn,t much fun. I had numerous surgeries and at 44, handling is the most important to me. If John Deere made the best handling bike, I,d be on a J.D. 8)

Offline Shawn36

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »
In the end Honda is a company who wants to make money.  If they feel there's a market for 2-strokes they'll come out with one.  I did my part by blowing way too much money on my CR rebuild using just OEM stuff through my dealer. 

That being said don't hold your breath on seeing them in pro racing.  That will be 4-stroke dominated until the OEMs decide otherwise.  But who cares about that, I want to ride a 2-stroke.  Not watch someone else ride one on TV. 

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »

Now there is a shortage of feed for beef farmers which is putting the price of beef up. :(

It shouldn't even be used with live stock. Corn is absolute garbage, especially the genetically altered corn.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:51:55 PM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »
Who cares about a 02 crf450 anyway,spokes come loose on every new bike. I owned or rode all the 125,s  after 20 hours the only bike that feels new is the honda. I used to hate honda,s like alot of people, they handle so much better than anything made,clutch takes abuse like no other,trans. will take high rpm shifts,no clutch shifts,never pops out of gear,etc. The 06 to 011 yz125 has a problem blowing trans. gears up, a cr125 from the last 10 years will out last 5 yz trans. KTM has recent reliability issues with the 144 and 250, exploding cylinder heads,144 blows the clutch basket apart. KTM always had great motors, I never heard anyone raving about there handling,without great handling riding isn,t much fun. I had numerous surgeries and at 44, handling is the most important to me. If John Deere made the best handling bike, I,d be on a J.D. 8)

I picked his 4t because that's all they make now.I could have given a similar rundown on any of his others.Yes,spokes have to settle in on everything but this was extreme.As far as who cares about it-you should-it's one of their products and speaks to manufacturing/material quality and quality control.As far as honda being the best handling bike made,you're the only person I've ever known,including honda guys,who has ever made that claim-most declare them grim for the last 10 yrs.Moreover than that,how you got from the quality of a machine to it's handling abilities is beyond me.As I said,all brands have specific model issues from time to time-especially on a new design-that's just par for the course.
FWIW,Having had them all, I have zero brand loyalty with anything and I certainly don't hate Honda.I currently ride a Yamaha simply because I do.It has it's faults but unlike some,I can see them.
The biggest difference  between you and me is that you're a fanboy.I'm not.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 01:42:05 PM »
It shouldn't even be used with live stock. Corn is absolute garbage, especially the genetically altered corn.

I agree.
Just stating a fact that the US does.
We feed our cows grass. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »
I never heard of a fanboy,haha what is it Ford? Does it mean one who likes to ride crisp 125,s and rail corners. ;D  I,m not mad at you, a little upset at the trucking co. I worked for last, they owe me over 2,000 dollars.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 04:07:03 PM »
You're no fun.What's a guy got to do to get a little reaction around here anyway :(  :D

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »
Honda has long lived on their reputation even when the quality slipped from what it used to be and their cars were no different

Honda has that reputation because they build good shit. The cars they build are lightyears ahead of the others when it comes to longevity and build quality, my stock 250k mile Civic gets bounced off the rev limiter daily. I drove it 20 miles the other day with no water, the header was glowing red and it still runs great! Do that with your daily driver and still get 40 mpg  :P
2000 YZ 125 under construction