Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: PNW TSM Spring Ride  (Read 25069 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: PNW TSM Spring Ride
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 01:18:24 AM »
I think part of the reason I prefer dust to mud, is the externalities.  Generally, when it's muddy you can expect lower temperatures, more chance of there being rain in the air, and an overcast sky which makes everything look a bit drab and depressing.  When it's dusty, so long as you're not actually in it (which just requires an extra 15 seconds of patience when the other guy takes off) the world is a beautiful place to behold, and one can ride with a t-shirt and not be cold (safe is another matter...)  But, during the Spring months, this part of the world doesn't really have the capability to generate dust, even out in the desert.

Which reminds me when the soil is like clay, mud can be scary.  This doesn't apply to Tillamook, I'm sure, but out in the desert you get a special kind of mud that builds up on your tires and never comes off, and I've heard stories of bikes with 10" of suspension travel get so much mud build-up on the tires that it rubs the fender constantly, eventually stopping the bike.  We call it "Maupin Mud" and it's ridiculous.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2011, 09:26:57 AM »
Sounds like a piston muncher  ;D
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 01:33:10 PM »
Gear your bike down abit Andrew.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 01:53:15 PM »
Do you ride trails with your bike at all Andrew?

How far can everyone go on gas?
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »
I can go farther than you, at least.  Especially if I use my world-famous Gatorade bottle trick.  ;D

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »
I can go farther than you, at least.  Especially if I use my world-famous Gatorade bottle trick.

We never tested that, I know my 83 Maico has a 3.0 gallon tank and I never hit reserve that day.  I believe 1 gallon is reserve, just didnt want to chance running out of gas given I didnt have any way to tell the range and knowing we had to drive 30 minutes or so just to get to the trails!  With my 1.3 Gallon auxiliary tank the bike did 40 miles without hitting reserve.

My 2004 has a 2.5 gallon tank + 1.3 aux. tank, this setup also did 40 miles without hitting reserve.  I believe reserve on this one is only 1/2 gallon.

Of course, with my planned modifications my bikes will definately outrange your bike even with a gatoraid bottle, given you have the small gas tank, it can't be more than 2.5 gallons?

I have a 3.7 gallon clarke gas tank for all of my other bikes (except the 2004) and the tanks while not for Maicos, look like they will fit the 82, 83 and 86.  So, those in conjuction with the 1.3 aux tank will give all my bikes (except. 2004) total of 5 gallons of gasoline!  I estimate about 25-30 miles for 2 gallons, so I may be able to hit 60 miles or so with 5 gallons total.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »
Still, when we did the gas check at the beginning of that powerline trail, you were running about a 1/2 tank or less and I was at more than 2/3 on mine (which is 2.1 gallons).  With the bottle I think I've gotten at least 60mi on the 250 with a decent amount remaining, certainly not enough to be worried about it (which is more than can be said for the bigger bikes tagging along).  Although of course, that's mostly in 35-65mph roads with a lot of short-shifting.  When you go up to 5 gallons, I'll never touch that kind of range.

The only way I see range maybe becoming an issue, is if we get into some hills that are going to require a bit more power, because you'll be able to just sort of idle up where the 250 has about as much low-end as a toaster and so needs to be kept on the pipe a bit more, and that might bring the range down.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2011, 12:34:02 AM »
I used to trail ride all the time. On my 125 I've only done a couple outings. Its a 2 gallon tank. If I ride it easy it will go 30 mpg. But I know I wont ride it easy :) I can probably get 40 mi. If I have to, I'll bring a 1 gallon tank and tape it to the front of my bike :)

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2011, 02:12:13 AM »
Rode Diamond Mill Today

Maico 59 Tooth Sprocket

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2011, 11:05:36 PM »
Awesome riding Toby
How do you like that Maico?
Those trails look pretty crazy/fun!
But I vote we just move those smaller trees out of the way instead of spend 20 minutes getting everyone stuck. :)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2011, 03:43:36 AM »
Cool video. Your bark busters are too low though... :D :P
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
How do you like that Maico?

Good bike, I mean handling takes a bit to get used to for me every time I ride it.  It feels easier to go fast on though once you start getting used to it, that's probably the big difference between that and the older bikes.  Whether it's the setup or just the fact that you can trust the brakes.  However, technical stuff is less comfortable and more comfortable on the older bikes, so a hill climb or going through hairy stuff, the older bikes are more comfortable.  On the older Maicos, especially the 82 that has the smoothest power and gets the most to the ground, I never feel afraid to do anything on it, always comfortable to go anywhere.  This bike, its iffy, there's more fear of the unknown for fear you won't be able to get out, if you know what I mean.  The 82 has gone with ease tho in places where most bikes fail.

There was a very sloppy hill climb at DM and we started out with like 7 people.  I saw this sloppy hill climb and went up it on the 82, didnt even slip tire and was thinking this looks like it would be bad, but was pretty easy.  Just idled up.  Then I'm sitting up there waiting and no one else is comming up.  2 of the guys were pretty good.  One guy took 2 tries to make it (I think he was on KTM 300) and the other took 3 tries (I believe he was on a CRF450) (and they were both spinning thier back tires a good bit, I never slipped once).  The thrid guy never made it up (WR400 4t) and the last 2 or 3 guys saw the hill and just left.  So as old as that bike is, it's very easy to ride in hairy stuff without requiring any skill or requiring you to get any speed up, you can mostly just idle right up no problem.  The 2004 is a bike that requires more speed in those same situtations (engine is more torquier).  I took the 2004 Maico to a less hairy climb that the 82 went up no problem and got stuck half way up.

Cool video. Your bark busters are too low though...

They are supposed to be low so you don't break your wrists if you crash :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:53:10 AM by opfermanmotors »

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:32 AM »
They are supposed to be low so you don't break your wrists if you crash :)

You run them that low and you will be breaking your knuckles on roost (rocks), or low hanging tree branches. At least around here anyway, way too many rocks and trees.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
You run them that low and you will be breaking your knuckles on roost (rocks), or low hanging tree branches. At least around here anyway, way too many rocks and trees.

They been good so far, funny thing is some of my other bikes have them higher, then I get the comment they should be lower so you dont break your wrist.  Can never win I guess!  mostly they reflect from hitting trees and at that angle they will still work out.  if the branches are that low, they still hit your hands even if they're higher.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2011, 10:21:55 PM »
I just use handgaurds :D