Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: PNW TSM Spring Ride  (Read 24776 times)

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
Re: PNW TSM Spring Ride
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 06:32:36 PM »
Yay for TurbineCoreII Silencer :D
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »
Anyone want to sponser a kiwi over for the ride. ;) :P
I'll bring the peanut's.

;D

As for the spark arrestors, maybe the lack of forest fires is putting them on edge...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:03:18 PM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 10:55:01 PM »
Or maybe the fine for not having a spark arrestor is a new source of revenue, given that the fine is higher than the price of a spark arrestor.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 11:15:44 PM »
Ditto, and who are they going to attack? two stroke owners..

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 01:19:34 AM »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 01:35:31 AM »
For what it's worth, I haven't heard of spark arrestor checks going on at McCubbins for about ten years now, unless you actually camp in the main McCubbins area where all the goon riders blast around for five minutes at a time.  If you go back a little bit more and camp at one of the other spots where the trails actually are, you'll never get bothered.  At least that's been my experience.  And I've been riding there since... probably about the time I was four years old, so I know my way around pretty well.  It's about two hours East of Portland.  Weather in May is generally pretty good because it's in a rain shadow.

Sounds like Diamond Mill is pretty much decided on, though.  I think DM is closer for just about all of us, but if spark arrestors are a big deal for anyone then McCubbins is really chill.  Haven't even gotten hassled on the 120, so you could probably go there with a top fuel dragster (with knobby tires) and not catch any heat.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 02:11:49 AM »
I would not take the risk of riding without a spark arrestor.  As for Mc cubbins, also a great choice as well, however very small. Plus I want to ride some hard pack and not silt bombs ;D

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 11:19:15 AM »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 02:44:56 PM »
I don't get how you figure it's small?  There's easily enough trail miles to take up more time than we're going to have, so long as one actually knows where to look.  I think a lot of people make the mistake of dropping anchor in the big campground area and then just taking some of the trails that spur off from there, instead of digging a little deeper.  If we went there, we'd run out of gas and time quite a bit before running out of terrain.

When I took Opferman there, I made a few mistakes.  First, I had us camp quite a ways out, which was out of habit more than anything else, because we also ride desert roads off in the other direction so it's more flexible, but it's not an ideal spot to ride McCubbins from.  If we went there, I'd have us camp at one of the spots within walking distance from a trailhead.  I also ended up routing us over a lot of gravel roads because I wanted to explore one particular trail that just happened to be on the other side of the planet from where we parked.  That resulted in a lot of boring riding and a lot of gas spent "commuting."  If we went again, I think I could do a lot better on that angle, keeping us about 95% in the trail network.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 03:29:29 PM »
McCubbins is very small, both times I been there seemed pretty small.  Seemed like browns camp on Mt. Hood, too many people were there. Also, both times I went, it was extremely dusty as couldn't see anything after the cloud of dust. 

Ya, when I went with Jetz we took 30 minutes to get to the trails :)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »
It's not very dusty in May, although in July it is quite dusty indeed.  I prefer dust over possible mud, myself though.  I think technically what I call "McCubbins" also includes the Keeps Mill area, if that has any effect on anything.  I'm sure in terms of miles of trails, it's not as big as some of the Tillamook stuff, but it's more than adequate for a day or two riding.  As far as it being like Brown's Camp on Mt. Hood, that definitely sounds like the main campground area, which is pretty suck and best to avoid.  The rest of it tends to be pretty sparse on riders though, from my experience.  On a three-hour ride I will encounter a group of other riders maybe half of the time, unless it's one of those big national three-day-weekend deals, when rider traffic gets downright dangerous.

Going back to the dust thing, this is what the area looks like around the time we'd be going.
Powerline Trail (Pure Edition)

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ruskee

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »
Dont have a spark arrestor the forest guy came all he looked at was the atv permit i dont think they even really care.
"PIN IT TO WIN IT"

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »
I remember once a ranger decided to check the 120 for a spark arrestor by poking that little stick into the exhaust.  I guess he was expecting it to hit something inside the pipe but of course there was nothing and he almost lost the stick in the pipe. We didn't get in trouble for it, but it was a scary moment.  But of course, the 120 doesn't pretend to be normal. :D

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 12:24:45 AM »
I prefer mud to dust. If it's dusty I'll have to change my air filter :(
Am I gonna have to tape a gas tank to my bike? I've got two one gallon jugs.
And tabs... Do I need up to date tabs? Mine are from 08.
Diamond mills looks super fun and challenging... From the footage it looks like I'll have to keep my 125 on the pipe for some of those hills. Doesn't have quite the bottom end of the 490  ;D
Mcubbins looks more 'Sunday stroll' so it would be fun for just cruisin with friends :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:27:55 AM by ACMX »
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 09:19:47 AM »
Ya, dust sucks, mud is a lot of fun, especially with a Maico