Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Interview with Aaron Vincer owner of Byron Motosports Park about two strokes...  (Read 7199 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Please send this video to the CEO's of Honda,Yamaha,Kawasaki,Suzuki.
Hopefully they will listen to what the public wants.

Well I am alowed to dream. :) ain"t I ?

Keep up the good work
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline wintrader

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
This says it all. I agree. By the way last motogp in Assen the Netherlands only 15 bikes. Also because of this 4 strokes getting much too expensive for the private racer. Motox is a sport for all not only the rich and 3000 for blown up engine is really much too much money for most of us.

Perhaps 4 strokes are better. Perhaps!!! But only a few benefit from this.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
I was just talking with my dad the other day about how cheap of a hobby riding is.  Sure, there's the $2-3K initial cost you pay for a bike, plus a few other things like tie downs, gas cans, and maybe a few tools.  But after that, unless you neglect the bike or do very hard riding on a small machine, you've only got to pay for premix (and at 30mpg+ that's no big deal), some oil for the transmission (which is far less than what you put into any car), and the occasional odds and ends that need to be replaced, usually things like grips, tires, spokes, etc, most of which will last five years or so.  We've almost never had to do a top end, and I don't think we even once had to replace a clutch or transmission.  A two-stroke motorcycle is just a long-lasting bastard, which is usually cheap to maintain and run.  Even when we were doing model railroads, it was more expensive than keeping the bikes going.  To take such a sweet and cheap deal and add frequent and expensive four-stroke rebuilds would just be crippling.  If it were a matter of "four-strokes or nothing," I'd abandon riding and get a Dodge Challenger instead.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Very good interview. You need to convince that guy to sell his 4-joke and buy a smoker.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline motoman465

• Novice
    • View Profile
Nice interview, but why did he state he rides a four stroke because that is all you can get.  There are still amazing two strokes available!!! :P

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
He sounds like a no bones, tell you like it is, guy. I hope his buisness picks up.
We need more people like him, and like Coop said, convince him to sell that 4t.
Good point TMKIWI, this video needs to get around, espcially to the big 4.
I'm kinda jealous, he got to touch project two50 bike.  :o
Now that I got to thinking, he coulda been one of those undercover guys from the black helicopters.  ;D
You guys did camo the tops of the truck and trailer?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:00:59 AM by TxTechRedRider »
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Without tracks there is no sport. Period. This video says it all! Anybody cant post that link on Vital.. I wanna see the drama! LOL
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:47:52 PM by 2smoker »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
It was all so good until he said that HE rides a 4-stroke and for me that just completely undone everything that had gone before.

That probably seems harsh and maybe it is, but if he genuinely believed in what he was saying I can't see how he can then support the four-stroke by buying one. I'm sorry but for me it only emphasises the hypocrisy of everything else he said.

Talk is cheap and plentiful but it alone will not save the 2-stroke off-road bike.

I know I'll probably get jumped on for saying this but I honestly feel that the battle is being lost and it hurts,.........badly!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:51:26 AM by MMS »

Offline Sapper

• Junior
    • View Profile
maybe if we can pursue this issue:
Typical rebuild costs
2 stroke:
Crank-$200, Piston-$127, Bearings/seal kit-$65, Gasket set-$78 = $460 and can be done in 3-4 hrs.

Mods:
Full Pipe kit-300
Aftermarket complete cylinder head- $179 with 2 dome choices.
Port/Polish cylinder and piston-$220

4 stroke:
Crank-$237, Piston-$275, Bearings/seals-$65, Gaskets-$156, cam chain-$75 = $808 built in 6-8 hrs

Mods:
Full pipe kit-$652
Complete cylinder head mod using your head-$1200-1500 (Ported/Polished, stronger valves, springs, cams)

Lets do the math here.....ahhhh....I'll stay 2 stroke
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:10:37 AM by Sapper »
If you want cheap & fast, it won't be good.
If you want cheap & good, it won't be fast.
If you want good & fast, it won't be CHEAP

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
You have to include valves,valve guides,v g seals,valve seat refinishing and sometimes valve springs in the four stroke overhaul costs.

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
Don't be to hard on Aron he runs a top notch facility and like his dad they really put forth a huge effort to support our sport, besides he is a really big dude and needs the extra power to go fast around the track. Byron is one of my favorite tracks it is very fast and long a real work out!!!!! LET'RR BUCK!!!!!!!
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
It was all so good until he said that HE rides a 4-stroke and for me that just completely undone everything that had gone before.

That probably seems harsh and maybe it is, but if he genuinely believed in what he was saying I can't see how he can then support the four-stroke by buying one. I'm sorry but for me it only emphasises the hypocrisy of everything else he said.

Talk is cheap and plentiful but it alone will not save the 2-stroke off-road bike.

I know I'll probably get jumped on for saying this but I honestly feel that the battle is being lost and it hurts,.........badly!
I have to agree.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
The last year here in Florida has been amazing. We started racing the Florida Motocross season about 3 years ago. We were on an 85 but my son was about to out grow his 85 last year. Well with the economy the way it is I could not aford a new bike (4-stroke). But his older brother had a 125 two stroke and did not ride much anymore so this is what we were going to race. Well 3 years ago almost no two strokes other that 50,s and 85,s. 2 years ago with the rule change some of the riders started riding 250 two strokes and winning. This year its like a renaissance for the two stroke.As some of you know my son rides the 250c class at the begining of the year there were about 3 to 4 two strokes,Well now there is about half and some who were on 125's now have 250 two strokes.
    One of the fathers I was talking to only a few weeks ago who's son is one of the top riders on a Kaw 250 4 stroke said they were looking for a 250 two stroke to be competitive and already bought a Yz 125 for the school boy class.
  Also the amount of riders has gone down more than half. Most of the fathers I've talked to said they went to the Two stroke was becaused they blew up there 4 stroke. One father who's son rides the 250b class and the 450b class and is in second place in the points for them last year they had two crf450's and blew them both up the same day! Sold one for the frame and rebuilt the other one and sold it. They bought two YZ250's to race otherwize they could not aford to race.
   Down here they are comming around fast I just hope the track promoters can last long enought for the attendance to turn around.
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile

Don't be so hard on Aaron, he only got to ride his bike TWICE this year! He and his wife have their hands full with three children under 3 years old!

It was so cool seeing his face when Mike started up the bike... he loved it.

As for some folks wanting or liking four-strokes instead.... if you think about it that's cool too. When I watch some people ride, they do not have enough experience to ride a two-stroke. Some do not have the time to ride often, like Aaron. For some of these people it's best to be on a four-stroke.

Our goal is to even up the displacement in order to make two-stroke competitive with the four-stroke, not to entirely eliminate them...

At least that's how I see it.

With that line of thinking you are sort of saying that no one should use four-strokes at all. Is that true? Then what kind of engine is in your car or truck? What kind of lawn mower do you have?

The right tool for the job is what I say! Sometimes the four-stroke can be fun too. Just don't artificially force everyone to abandon the two-stroke by making a displacement advantage for the four-stroke.

I willing to listen to other opinions, but this seems to make the most sense to me!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!