Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Interview with Aaron Vincer owner of Byron Motosports Park about two strokes...  (Read 7214 times)

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
I agree with you John, I don't hate 4 strokes I hate the rules. I firmly believe in different strokes for different folks, just so happens that I only need two strokes  ;D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Well John, though I agree with you that I don't hate four strokes, I just prefer 2 strokes (2t); I think the point the others are saying is this. If you are going to post an interview of a track owner praising the benefits and joys of two strokes, and how 4 strokes (4t) have hurt his business, having him say at the end "I ride a 4t, we all do..." kind of ruins the validity of the interview to me. If he loves them as much as he says, and if 4t's really are that damaging to his livelihood, he should be supporting 2t by riding one. Only getting to ride a few times a year certainly sucks, but I took a ten (10) year hiatus from dirt riding, jumped back on a KX125 and have had zero problems with the re-learning curve. And 125's are not exactly to tool of choice for tight PA trails, lol. He could sell his 4t, buy a nice modern 2t and do just as well, because in my opinion a properly tuned and set-up 2t really isn't hard to ride. Think about it, 15 years ago before the 4t "invasion", what did all the inexperienced races ride? Yep, 2t. If they learned on them back then, why can't they learn on them now?

I am not saying 4t should go away, I am just trying to show you the other side of your logic. I liked the interview and think he seems like a nice, cool guy. I just wish if he was really sincere about his preference for 2t's, that he would have left that part of his interview out.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Well John, though I agree with you that I don't hate four strokes, I just prefer 2 strokes (2t); I think the point the others are saying is this. If you are going to post an interview of a track owner praising the benefits and joys of two strokes, and how 4 strokes (4t) have hurt his business, having him say at the end "I ride a 4t, we all do..." kind of ruins the validity of the interview to me. If he loves them as much as he says, and if 4t's really are that damaging to his livelihood, he should be supporting 2t by riding one. Only getting to ride a few times a year certainly sucks, but I took a ten (10) year hiatus from dirt riding, jumped back on a KX125 and have had zero problems with the re-learning curve. And 125's are not exactly to tool of choice for tight PA trails, lol. He could sell his 4t, buy a nice modern 2t and do just as well, because in my opinion a properly tuned and set-up 2t really isn't hard to ride. Think about it, 15 years ago before the 4t "invasion", what did all the inexperienced races ride? Yep, 2t. If they learned on them back then, why can't they learn on them now?

I am not saying 4t should go away, I am just trying to show you the other side of your logic. I liked the interview and think he seems like a nice, cool guy. I just wish if he was really sincere about his preference for 2t's, that he would have left that part of his interview out.

Coop, I hear what you're saying and do not disagree.... just an additional thought here, what if seeing  the project two 50 bike was enough to get him to change back to a two-stroke?

The other thing is that I didn't want to edit or change what Aaron had to say. This is for a few reasons, but he did this off the top of his head and the sincerity and honesty he showed were compelling.

But with that said, hearing him say some of that stuff was disappointing to me as well. But it was the truth as he saw it.

Seeing Aaron's face when we pulled the bike out of the truck, then started it up was absolutely priceless. It just may have been the tipping point for him to switch back as well.

This is just my opinion... honestly I do understand where you guys are coming from. It's just that I willing to let the guy decide which he prefers for himself.
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
I would never expect you to edit his (or anybody's) interview, I am just saying I wish he didn't say that, that's all. If manufacturer's see even track owner's turning their back's on 4t maybe it will help them start producing some 2t again. Wishful thinking I know, but a guy can dream :) . But I agree, he seems like he is on the edge and I hope seeing that bike pushed him over it  :D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Seeing Aaron's face when we pulled the bike out of the truck, then started it up was absolutely priceless. It just may have been the tipping point for him to switch back as well.

Now that really would be the good.

Hell, I might even manage a smile!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Personally I think the racing would be more exciting with both the smokers and strokers in the 250 class.  Each machine handles some of the track obstacles differently.  They take different lines, which i think will allow the racing to be more exciting.  I say pick your stroke, 2 or 4 line em up, and lets have fun....
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
I just want to say I agree with different strokes for different folks but the comment that really pissed me off the most was'nt anything Aaron said it was what G-Money said in his post!"he's a really big dude and needs the extra power to go fast around the track" >:( What's that BS G-Money?Are you implying that the 4-stroke has extra or more power than a 2-stroke or what?!If Aaron is a "big dude"as you say & a 250 2-stroke does'nt have enough power for him there are plenty of 500cc. 2-strokes that SUCH A LARGE GUY LIKE AARON COULD USE TO GET HIS LARGE BODY AROUND THE TRACK PLENTY FAST!!!Hell,Maico even makes a 700cc 2-stroke but it does'nt look to me like he's so large that a good running 250 2-stroke could'nt haul his a$$ around the track plenty fast!  >:D It's starting to look to me like we have a "POSER"here on this 2-stroke MX site! >:(

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
Being there and listening to him talk i would say his next bike will be a 2t.To be honest i do not think he will have a problem with the yz 250 not having enough power especially if he gets it microblued like the race bike.I am 250lbs and rode the stock practice bike and the race bike back to back and either one has plenty of power for a bigger guy.Now the race bike all i can say is  :o it sure is fast! :P

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
I assure you maicoman I've got pre mix running in my viens,so with all this concern about why Aron rides a fourjoke I e-mailed him the question "why" Also I'll be down at Byron in a week or so I will pull him aside and ask him.

do you know what Gmbh stands for in America?
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
In  1998  I   went   down  to  the  Byron IL.  track, to  race  the  nuclear  series  there. I   arrived  on  thursday   morning   with   a  1997 yz 125- Jeff  Willoh,s  National  Nollean  bike, and  a  1998 yz250  to  get  one  of  those  huge  nuke  trophies  and  Yz bucks. In  the  mid  to  late  90,s   that  track  did  very  well, along   with  the pro  riders. The  pro,s  would  race  in  Lake Geneva Wi., friday night supercross, both  tracks  had  contingency,s. Then  hang  out  the  Lake G.  there,s  alot   of   rich  Chicago  people there  including  Oprah. THen sunday  race  Byron, had   races   from   surrounding states  and  far  away  Lake  Geneva  flew  Jimmy  Gaddis   from   Nevada  for  some   rounds. Typical  me  I   go into town  Friday night,   the  Italian  bar-restrautrant   was  cool, but not  as  cool  as the owners  daughter. She  asked  me  if  I  wanted   to  hit   Rockford  for  a  punk rock  show sat. night, so  all   that  was fun, not  the best  for  the  sunday race  results. The  track  was  under  water  sun. morin, they  do a  great  job, getting  the track ready.    Ps   Jimmy  Gaddis   was   the  arenacross  champ, on KX125 and KX250, back then.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
My apologies for making such a strong statement G-Money! I to have premix pumping in my veins and I'm quite sure that you know a good running 2-stroke would get just about any size rider around the track plenty fast! Gmbh is basically "A limited liability company"here in America as it is in Germany and Austria such as Maico Gmbh in Germany or Glock Gmbh in Austria. :D

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
No apology needed man, We are all frustrated with what the AMA  has done to our beloved 2 smokers. Yes you know the official meaning of Gmbh. But around the Benz shop I used to work at we our slang was "GOODS MADE BY HINEES"  FART-N-POOPIN seriously they make some good stuff I see why you like Maicos!!!!!
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"