Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Winter Projects....how many do you have going??  (Read 15153 times)

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Projects....how many do you have going??
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 01:36:24 PM »
  Just getting to the water pump seal is a major pain... but I guess that's what winter projects are for...

We are on bike 3 of the quest to build Nanci a Revolution II class race bike for the upcoming season.

So far this one is better than the first two. Other than the usual missing fasteners (this one might be a new record though!) the only really strange thing I have found is they used actual gear oil like you would put in the differential on your car in the transmission (RIP clutch plates...).

The biggest surprise was it really did have a new top end!  No copper crush washers under the head nuts but hey whats a little coolant on the garage floor?  At least it actually had coolant in it. Clean coolant at that.

I finished servicing the shock last night, it needed the bottoming bumper replaced and had some signs of oil on the shaft so new seal head along with fresh oil.

Once I get the wheel and suspension bearings changed I can switch to the front suspension. I'm a bit worried because they said they changed the fork seals.... They aren't leaking so someone must of, but I'm hoping they sent that one out [pray].

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 01:38:49 PM »
alright after making whole sale changes in my life in hopes to win my wife back, which has worked to an extent, I have decided that my 90 katoom needs to be resurrected. Doubt you can remember but she grenaded on me at a race a couple years ago and had shelved her due to frustration. Well she had been a litany of let downs before I put her away and after contemplating selling the old girl, the good Lord told me to rebuild her, so I recently purchased another crank from ebay to have rebuilt in the coming months, then its cylinder re-plating and I will  have her running again.

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »
Wow that is nice! 

How hard is it finding parts for those earlier KTMs?  I see some good deals from time to time but I always worry about parts.

I may need to do something besides Yamaha next time just for variety.

--Ron.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 08:10:38 AM »
Glad to hear things may be a little better with your wife racerX.

How hard is it finding parts for those earlier KTMs?  I see some good deals from time to time but I always worry about parts.

--Ron.

Back around 2005 I had an '86 MX250 that the CDI went bad. They were no longer available and at that time nobody sold an aftermarket one. I bought two on eBay and both were bad also, the sellers refunded my money and told me to throw them out both times. I actually threw the bike out on county cleanup day out of frustration. I also had an '84 MX125 and could not get lower crank bearings. Luckily I was able to cross reference them to a CR80 big wheel and was able to rebuild it. That was a very fast 125.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 09:40:41 AM »
Back around 2005 I had an '86 MX250 that the CDI went bad. They were no longer available and at that time nobody sold an aftermarket one. I bought two on eBay and both were bad also, the sellers refunded my money and told me to throw them out both times. I actually threw the bike out on county cleanup day out of frustration. I also had an '84 MX125 and could not get lower crank bearings. Luckily I was able to cross reference them to a CR80 big wheel and was able to rebuild it. That was a very fast 125.

Hmm too bad about the 250.

I am going to do an article here shortly about bearings and where to find them.

But the Cliff's Notes version is that they are what manufactures call "standards" i.e. stuff they buy out of a catalog.

Except for a very, very few exceptions where they are one offs (very expensive for the mfg so they don't do that much) you can get almost any bearing for any position from places like Applied Industrial (formerly Bearings Inc.)

Any town of even modest size will likely have a bearing supplier for the local repair and industrial operations.

--Ron. 

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »
Happy to hear your putting the pieces back together RacerX... Also good luck on the Katoom...  It would be interesting to watch the progress.

On my winter project, I dug down to the water pump seals / bearing.  The bearing was rusty, yes rusty, seals are hard and nasty.  It had been leaking for a long, long time.  At least now I've found the issue and can confidently make the repairs knowing it will be good to go when I'm done.   

I've ordered a Lisle 58430 Seal Puller.  I want to replace the crank seals and hate the idea of drilling a screw into the seal.  I'm always afraid of driving the screw in too far.  I'll report back as to how the tool works.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2019, 12:13:53 PM »
I've ordered a Lisle 58430 Seal Puller.  I want to replace the crank seals and hate the idea of drilling a screw into the seal.  I'm always afraid of driving the screw in too far.  I'll report back as to how the tool works.

Interesting, I don't have one of those. If it works well though I will order one for sure.

--Ron.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 01:52:11 PM »
Ron- Parts are a bear to find, but they are out there

Coop- Thanks mate,  same with this bike ignition was crap, bought an aftermarket from Belgium, it works just fine.

epro, thanks mate on both accounts.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2019, 04:52:39 PM »
here are the cases split. Both crank bearings growly and another to the main main shaft. I think the rod is bent a bit but no worries, this whole assembly will be in the round file and I will start with a different crank assembly. I have the crank bearings, I just have to find them. I may have to order a seal. The crank rebuild will only cost me labor at about $150. Suggestions for re-plating?

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »
Good progress!

On the plating, here is what I have at the moment:

VendorCostDelta
Power Seal $189.00$267.04
Mellennium Technologies$224.95$231.09
Max Power RPMs$225.00$231.04
US Chrome$243.00$213.04
Kustom Kraft Performance$369.00$87.04
New (RMATVMC)$456.04$0.00

This is for a YZ250 but that only matters on the delta from new.

The cylinder is currently enroute back from Powerseal in PA so I will have a report on the quality once it arrives.

--Ron.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:25:53 PM by rsmith »

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2019, 08:03:59 AM »

Interesting, I don't have one of those. If it works well though I will order one for sure.

--Ron.

Sorry Ron, the tool did not ship and I wanted to get onto the rebuild.  I ended up pulling them a little cave man style...  Tried the drywall screw method... didn't work, so I went at it with various screw drivers.  The stator side was leaking and came out without too much fuss.  The opposite side was a bit more stubborn.  But with some perseverance and some choice words I got them out.   
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2019, 06:10:14 PM »

--Ron.

Sorry Ron, the tool did not ship and I wanted to get onto the rebuild.  I ended up pulling them a little cave man style...  Tried the drywall screw method... didn't work, so I went at it with various screw drivers.  The stator side was leaking and came out without too much fuss.  The opposite side was a bit more stubborn.  But with some perseverance and some choice words I got them out.

No problem I ordered one from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. I'll give it a try and let you know!

--Ron.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »
I've spent some quality time in the garage with the 2 stroke quad...  The leaking water pump seals and rusty water pump bearings have been replaced.  The crank seals seals were also replaced.  Case half's have been cleaned, new gasket with RTV as an additional backup.  So at this point, I've done everything to the motor, other than splitting the cases that I could.  I fires it up and it's still running lean.  I drop the clip and readjust the air screw and finally feel its starting to run like it should.  I actually took it for a short ride. (yea confirmed I prefer 2 wheels...)  There still some jetting work to do...  had to run the air screw in to remove a lean hanging idle.  It's now at a 1/2 turn out, yesI know the PJ is too small.  I'll be pulling the jets tonight and swapping out for different brass.  At least it now starts, runs, and moves under its own power...  still have a bog when coming onto the main...  I think the main is too small as well.  At lease I'm getting close...  but of course, now the bendex go out, so you need to play with the starter button to turn over the motor...  At this point, that's an inexpensive and easy fix... 

Huge progress....   ;D
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 04:56:52 PM »
sending these out to power seal soon, should have the crank back in a few days so I will post pics of assembly.

bonus photo, Angelo's 17' YZed 125

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2019, 06:54:09 PM »
Spent some time in the garage on the Polaris smoker. Replaced the bendix and then started on the jetting.  I thought it was running lean, so I thought I’d adjust the needle position.  At 1st I moved the clip up to the middle spot.  It ran better but not perfect... still a bog when coming onto the main., once in a while it would transition well and would run great.  So I moved it up another notch (2nd from top) and went to play in the snow. It now revs out, the transition onto the main is good.  The quad now runs pretty good.  I’ve gotten everything to work like it’s supposed to.  Next is the  tires need replaced, they’re bald... then it’s time to put it to wok cutting trials for my KTM...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EBwAbkpTQXX9sqZS8
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 12:00:58 PM by eprovenzano »
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)