Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Winter Projects....how many do you have going??  (Read 15159 times)

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Projects....how many do you have going??
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 06:07:03 AM »
works bolts lol

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 06:32:53 AM »
Maybe "Whatever (kinda) works" bolts....

--Ron.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:42:51 PM by rsmith »

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 05:54:20 PM »
Well this is a new color I haven't seen inside an engine before.

I'm pretty sure someone put mixing oil into the transmission. You can see there isn't the usual water droplets you get from coolant and the blue stuff that has separated out is oil.

--Ron.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 01:03:24 PM »
well, it is a two stroke tranny lol

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 11:43:48 AM »
Eric...I died laughing at that whole story!  And then the followup...mismatched bolts...remember to ask Ron about the hinge pin "motor mount bolts" he pounded out last night!  Yes, for real...eek  When you get the plow mounted a picture will be required!

Wow and I thought my barn finds were bad...  I kept smelling gas in the garage... the floor had a little of something but...  hmmm  On the quad I found gas petcock was not shutting off and fuel was flowing...  The needle valve was not holding back fuel and it all flowed into the exhaust.  Not knowing this I disconnected the exhaust, leaving the short U pipe from the engine to the long exhaust.  ..  hit the starter and get a gas shower...  yea... great...  I was not happy, (neither was my wife when I tried to wash the gas soaked clothes and stuck up the washer)  So now I'm tracking down a carb rebuild kit, and a new petcock.  I changed the tranny fluid... nasty, and the diff fluid... almost looked like oil... Now that I've run the engine a bit, the radiator fluid has moved and picked up the rest of the gunk left behind, so it needs flushed out (again) 

The new coil came with a cap that requires the tip of the plug to be removed...  most plugs do not have that option anymore.  I tried using the old cap...  no go, its bad.  So I'm picking up a new cap before the weekend.  Once I know the fuel is not longer an issue I'll mount the rest of the plastics and bumpers and may actually ride it around the block...
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline nancis

• Administrator
  • Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »
Did you get it running? 

We may have abandoned the 125 project for now...it started getting pretty bad and with the other projects we have going it was looking like something that wasn't going to be ready by May for racing.  Moving on...looking at the other bike options in storage, there's a YZ250 in there  ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:40:23 PM by nancis »
More bikes than I can list...regular riders 2015 Beta XT300, 1986 IT200, 1980 IT175

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 11:04:42 PM »
I have zero winter projects on the go at this point, though I'm working on it.

I completed my KTM 105 experiment and it was a lot of fun. I'm fast on it in the woods but it's too small (and a little scary) on the MX sections which we have in abundance in our woods races. So I'm putting it up for sale soon.

After looking at the numbers (and from what I can recall when I rode one) I think I might try out a late model YZ125. It's the smallest of the 125's by at least 2" on the wheelbase, great suspension and a decent motor - at least something I can work with. So I'm looking for an 08-17 bike.
Ontario, Canada

Offline nancis

• Administrator
  • Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 07:29:29 PM »
A new (er) 125 should be fun :)  I sat on one at the dealership the other day and wouldn't mind it coming home...it was brand new and had a nice price tag tho...I can wait or find a bit older one, they're all the same anyway! 

We are moving forward with other projects and waiting to see what we can find for the vintage racer project...the ladies in the vintage race club started a Revo2 class and, well...I need a bike.  I did take Ron's '93 YZ250 out for one of the races and that worked ok but sure a whole new experience for me!  My normal vintage racer is an '86 IT200, not exactly a "race" bike  ::)   but it works!
More bikes than I can list...regular riders 2015 Beta XT300, 1986 IT200, 1980 IT175

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 06:11:22 AM »
I've looked at new ones too but I can't get past those blue rims and you're right. They've been the same for a dozen years. There's a 2010 for sale locally, a kids bike with only 50 woods hours on it. It's a little more than I want to pay for a 2010 but it might be worth it.

No immediate plans for the Husky CR150. I'm not really sure what to do with it. It's a bit of an orphan, parts are going to get near impossible to get and at some point, probably soon, it will be worth almost nothing. But it's the best bike I've ever ridden, and I've got it working perfect on the motocross track, it's just a little too big for me in the woods.

Or maybe I just want to buy another bike  :P
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 06:27:45 AM by beaner »
Ontario, Canada

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »
Did you get it running? 

We may have abandoned the 125 project for now...it started getting pretty bad and with the other projects we have going it was looking like something that wasn't going to be ready by May for racing.  Moving on...looking at the other bike options in storage, there's a YZ250 in there  ;D

Yep new coil cap ($3.00). And now she fired up every time.  Rebuilt the carb, just need to get it out of the garage and take it around the block so I can put the final adjusts to the carb (need to get it out and warm so make final adjustments)  Had an issue with the forward /reverse lever... took a while to get it adjusted but now I think I got it. Before when you put it in forward the lever hit the front fender and the gears just grinded.  The shifter is worn and sloppy but I’ll make it work 

Family holiday obligations have kept me out of the garage, but I should be able to get it going pretty soon.  Need to start fabricating a mount for my tractors snow plow.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 08:02:45 AM »
Had issues with Polaris' Forward / reverse / Low Range sifter.  Every time I would put into forward the tranny would grind.  Reverse and Low Ranger were fine.  After adjusting the shifter rods 1,000 times I puled the shift dogs and reclocked them to where I felt would work better...  A little adjustment of the shifter rods, and now we have all the proper gears.  At this point, all electronics work, including headlights, tail lights, and brake light. The engine starts and runs, 4 wheel drive works, and all fluids have been changed... 

I actually took it around the block... lets just say I am definitely a two wheel rider... The quad is running so rich, the fumes will burn your eyes. So to dig into the problem,

1st  - I'm going to lower the float, its definitely too high. 
   2nd - will be to pull the jets, and try to get the numbers off of them so I have a baseline. 
   3rd - I'm going to look at the choke (enricher) to make sure its completely closed when turned off. 

Any other suggestions as to the jetting?
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)

Offline nancis

• Administrator
  • Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »
Beaner...pretty sure you just want (need) to buy another bike!   ;D ;D

Eric...I'm trying to get Ron to have a minute to see if he's got ideas about your jetting...by the time he sits for a minute you'll probably have it figured out...

We did abandon that 125...just too many things to do to it in order to have a snowballs chance to get it together for race season...soooooo....we just bought another one!  ::)  It's a reasonably solid bike...at least it's complete, let's say that.  Something we can work with, it runs and has most of the parts (going to need an entire bolt kit tho).  Since the rules say I can race up to a 1996 or "similar technology" this one is a '97 that is going to identify as a '96 from now on!!  Not sure what it will look like in the end but it has a metallic blue powder coated frame and black plastics (those will be replaced with white!)

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 09:34:26 AM »
I actually took it around the block... lets just say I am definitely a two wheel rider... The quad is running so rich, the fumes will burn your eyes. So to dig into the problem,

2nd - will be to pull the jets, and try to get the numbers off of them so I have a baseline. 
   3rd - I'm going to look at the choke (enricher) to make sure its completely closed when turned off. 

That is a good beginning. Too high a float level cause rich jetting across the board so that one should be number one for sure.

--Ron.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 06:38:38 AM »

That is a good beginning. Too high a float level cause rich jetting across the board so that one should be number one for sure.

--Ron.

I was thinking about this while working...  ::)  I remember when I got my 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M out of moth balls.. had the same issue, ran like crap unless I turned off the fuel, then it cleared up and ran like a scalded ape...  that one took a new carb to clear up... of course I didn't know enough about jetting to know what to do.  Now I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...   :-\ 

thanks, I'll reset the float and will go from there... 
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 12:33:37 PM »
Well I dug into the quad to find the rough running and smoking issue...  Remember when I bought the quad, I was told it blew a head gasket...  I found a video of just after I rebuilt the motor, and it did not smoke, but I remember at the 1st startup I had yet to fill the radiator...  So why now would it smoke so much, and run so poorly.  Having a sneaky suspicion I pulled off a side cover... found a mixture oil and antifreeze inside the magneto (where is should be dry.  So yep you guessed it... bad water pump seal along with bad crank seals.  Coolant and oil getting into the combustion chamber makes it difficult for any motor to run. 

I know what your thinking... bad crank seals mean bad crank bearings.  But in this case knowing this will be rarely used, I'm just going to replace the seals, water pump, oil, and crank.  The parts have been ordered and I'll replace them.  Just getting to the water pump seal is a major pain... but I guess that's what winter projects are for... 
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)