Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New KTM 350.. WHat you guys think about it?  (Read 8568 times)

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
New KTM 350.. WHat you guys think about it?
« on: December 12, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
Weall know that KTM will produce a KTM 350 four stroke and Mike Alessi will be racing it outdoors next year. What is the idea behind the project? Less weight and better handling? We all know that the 450 are way too much to handle.. I heard also that Honda has a prototype going on also...

Motormeuk.nl - KTM 350 SX-F at EICMA 2009
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: New KTM 350.. WHat you guys think about it?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 11:59:28 AM »
just looking forward to see it as a 125 or 250

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
Well, I heard somewhere that it's not at that much of a horsepower disadvantage, but gives a more two-stroke-like powerband than a 450F.  More emphasis on top-end, all that.

Myself, I don't like this trend toward smaller and smaller engines.  We're seeing a time where guys are complaining that a 250 2T is too wild to handle..  Come on, people, Danny Chandler rode a 250 2T when he was 12!  It was an old CZ that was really low to the ground, but he still had to have wooden blocks under his feet on starts so he could touch the ground.  What happened that THAT kind of rider?  Where are everyone's balls?

As for the bike itself, I think it's my favorite four-stroke.  The orange frame with the "we're copying the 1983 Husky" rear section is beautiful.  KTM have been making their bikes (in my opinion) uglier and uglier in terms of the color choices on their graphics, but this 350F represents a big step forward for them, aesthetically.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 02:36:07 PM »
Well, I heard somewhere that it's not at that much of a horsepower disadvantage, but gives a more two-stroke-like powerband than a 450F.  More emphasis on top-end, all that.

Myself, I don't like this trend toward smaller and smaller engines.  We're seeing a time where guys are complaining that a 250 2T is too wild to handle..  Come on, people, Danny Chandler rode a 250 2T when he was 12!  It was an old CZ that was really low to the ground, but he still had to have wooden blocks under his feet on starts so he could touch the ground.  What happened that THAT kind of rider?  Where are everyone's balls?

As for the bike itself, I think it's my favorite four-stroke.  The orange frame with the "we're copying the 1983 Husky" rear section is beautiful.  KTM have been making their bikes (in my opinion) uglier and uglier in terms of the color choices on their graphics, but this 350F represents a big step forward for them, aesthetically.

First of all.. Nowadays tracks are way more technical than the past.. Big bore bikes have a lot of gyro and flywheel effects so at the end pretty much useless!...I think that a 450f is way too much already...Look at the injuries in the past 5-6 years.. It is really scary.. I think it is like a last resort move to prove that four stroke is still cool..I know something for sure....a 250cc 2 stroke will be way more competitive against a 350cc four stroke...Cannot wait to see if Honda will pop up their 350 at the same time.... American Honda need desperately a championship...and yeah the new KTM looks pretty damn good for a 4 bangers..

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 03:11:25 PM »
250s and 125s have been faster for a long time how, even in the '70s.  The thing that makes bigger bikes attractive is the fun factor.  They're beasts that demand respect.  If you get on the beast and respect the beast, you'll have a ball.  If you hop onto it the way a lot of these clowns get onto a 450F, with little riding experience and even less common sense, you'll get your ass in a sling.

Also, a 450F comes with a lot of things that make it, in my opinion, more dangerous than a 500.  It's heavy as hell, for one thing, and the engine braking makes it easy for a novice to jump into the air and land on his neck.  Notice that no one even thought of the Leatt brace in the age of the 500, but it suddenly became a must-have item in the age of the 450F.  They're big and capable machines, but what makes them dangerous is the fear factor.  They don't have it.  When you get on a 500, you can ride it about and have a good time, but then when you go to screw it on, it'll scare you so bad that you'll treat it with kid gloves until you progress to a level where you can use the craziness.  A 450F just says, "Hi kids, I'm cocai... I mean, I'm a dirt bike!  Let's go fast!"

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 08:53:03 PM »

First of all.. Nowadays tracks are way more technical than the past.. Big bore bikes have a lot of gyro and flywheel effects so at the end pretty much useless!...I think that a 450f is way too much already...Look at the injuries in the past 5-6 years.. It is really scary.. I think it is like a last resort move to prove that four stroke is still cool..I know something for sure....a 250cc 2 stroke will be way more competitive against a 350cc four stroke...Cannot wait to see if Honda will pop up their 350 at the same time.... American Honda need desperately a championship...and yeah the new KTM looks pretty damn good for a 4 bangers..
Are you kidding? I don't think that a 250 two stroke will be more competitive now that the 450 has lost 100cc's, I mean look at the trend, riders are getting faster lap times on smaller bore bikes, i think this 350 would more harm the two strokes existence
I'd rather be riding...

Offline losec

• Intermediate
  • naaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 12:38:20 AM »
Conspiration-hats on!

Smaller engine=more wear and tear=more parts shipping out
I never crash -I just make unexpected decelerations

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 01:46:17 AM »
Well hold on a second.  If we're going to say that the 350F will do better against the 250 2T than a 450F because it's smaller... wouldn't it be suicide to put a 250 against a 250F?  Obviously, the 250F does not destroy the 250, but the 450F does (usually).  Seems to me, therefore, that the 350F is either going to be slower than a 450F, or there is some magical point at which a 4T starts getting slower, which happens to be between 250 and 450.  I think KTM is banking on the latter.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 08:30:59 AM »
Just another gimmick from a company that says one thing and does another. :-[ ;) ::)

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 09:12:51 AM »
Conspiration-hats on!

hahaha Yeah you right! More rev more tear.. Ktm is a funny company...Yeah we like the two stroke but we also like developing new 4 stroke? WTF.......Blame The AMA and FIM rules again.....WHat do I need to do to be a member of their stupid board?

Recovered

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 09:35:43 AM »
Conspiration-hats on!

hahaha Yeah you right! More rev more tear.. Ktm is a funny company...Yeah we like the two stroke but we also like developing new 4 stroke? WTF.......Blame The AMA and FIM rules again.....WHat do I need to do to be a member of their stupid board?

You want to be on the AMA board?? Go to work for a japanese manufacturer, or lose all your ethics and morals and join the AMA.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 11:13:54 AM »
well look at how expensiva a 250f is to race, we don't need more expensive machines out there, I would rather see 450's out there than 350's
I'd rather be riding...

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »
I'd like to see the 500s come back and watch the Big Four scramble to make 850Fs.  That would make for some excellent entertainment.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline westyzkx

• Novice
  • Two Stroke Militia
    • View Profile
    • Toyboy Connection
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »
I'd like to see the 500s come back and watch the Big Four scramble to make 850Fs.  That would make for some excellent entertainment.

haha LMAO yeah I bet they would to - they seem as desperate to see 2 strokes fail as we are to make them succeed
www.toyboyconnection.com - online dating for younger men and older women