Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New KTM 350.. WHat you guys think about it?  (Read 8770 times)

Offline ferrahount

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: New KTM 350.. WHat you guys think about it?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 10:45:15 AM »
Hahahahaha, I really had a nice time reading this thread.
I think, like many others, that the main attractive of the 500 class is that those monsters were hard to ride fast, and only a couple of talented rider could use them to their potential. But they dropped the classs and leave the 250, that need also some skills to get them on the pipe all race long. But they came with an easier to ride bike, the 450 4S. And here is the point that put a couple of nails in the 2 stroke coffin, this bikes are faster, but easier to ride, even someone without that much skills can ride one to a pretty fast pace. And thats why the crash rating grew, because people that doesen't have the skills where riding this open class bikes like if they where racing a cadillac el dorado rather than a racing machine.
So now thw 450 is still too much, so go to 350. Maybe this will be a little harder to ride, cause you have to ride them on the edge to fight the 450 on their ground.
I think that this move would make more money on maintenance and replacement parts, but also on aftermarket parts, cause if you cant use all the potentiall of a 450 there is no reason to put a hot cam and a full exhaust on it, but to be competitive on a 250, were you will squeeze every hp on the engine, you'll need every part and preparation you could afford to bet the guy next to you.
My heart beats every cycle, so does my bike!

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »
I'm a 2t fan and always will be! At 39yrs. of age I'm more than happy with my "08" KTM 300xc & maybe this is wishful thinking or just pre "old timers disease" but I believe there's a method to KTM's madness in making a 350 4t especially when there has been a lot of talk of a feul injected 2t KTM coming out in the near future.Maybe KTM's thinking by bringing out a 350cc 4t moto-x bike that the Japanese manufacturers will follow suit & WHEN THE SX & MX tracks are filled with a bunch of lighter,easier to handle 350 4 strokes then KTM will finally bring out a feul injected 250 2t and if the powers that be don't screw with the rules or break their own rules like the AMA has done in the past then we will finally get to see our beloved 2 strokes back in main stream MX & SX racing kicking a$$ and taking names as we all know they could against a 350cc 4-smoke!

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 06:17:05 PM »
not to scare anyone, but in 2008 when MotoGP went from 990cc to 800cc, the rules were changed to BAN 2 strokes outright. That's right, they outlawed them! They knew the 990's were too powerful fot the 500's, but i guess they were afraid some privateer team might dust off an NSR500 and smoke the 800's. In motocross, a move to 350cc 4 strokes could perhaps spell the end of 250cc 2 strokes. Clearly the AMA has an agenda which doesn't include privateers, so i could definitely see some type of legislation that ensures a 250 2 stroke has no chance to race against a 350 4T. That would only happen through a ban. A 350cc rule could be real bad for the future of 250 2 strokes.

If i remember correctly in 2002 or 2003 Dirtrider magazine had their "10 Best" awards, and tongue-in-cheek awarded the YZ426F Best Workout Bike because it "gave the rider such a workout trying to keep up with the 2 strokes". So i'm thinking a bike only 100cc more than a 250 2T would have a VERY difficult time winning.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »
I've told this story many times before, but it was an epic day when our band of vintage 2T riders invited a YZ426F rider to join us.  Kyle took his beloved new bike up to the front of the pack to tangle with the '81 Husky 430, and the poor guy had his cheeks handed to him on the straights, and didn't gain an inch in the turns.  Then he tried messing with the '86 Maico 500.  He kept going faster and faster, and the Maico just stayed with him.  Eventually, the Maico rider (my dad) decided to screw it on all the way, then hit the brakes at the last possible moment before the turn.  Into the forest goes the YZF, while the Maico goes onto play some pinball with the turns.  Left.  For.  Dead.  Okay, so he didn't die, but he did develop a nice level of respect for the big oldies.  So did his friend on the KDX200 as he raced with some fat 12-year-old kid on a '67 Kawasaki. :D

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 01:05:21 PM »
honesly i don't think of it at all. ;D Now if it were a 350 2t! ;)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »
Kudos to KTM and Yamaha and anyone else for not forsaking the 2t altogether-and KTM continues to develop them.They need a fourstroke,and a good one,with things being what they are these days but give  credit where due imo.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Cable Stretcher

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »

First of all.. Nowadays tracks are way more technical than the past..

You need to take a look at some of the mid-early 90's sx races.  The tracks today have ramps not jumps the tracks today have rolling braking bumps not pizza slice, do or die, cant roll them cause you would high center WHOOPS!

I remember going to sx in the early 90's and you would be hard pressed to crawl up a jump much less walk up it.  This change happened in the early 2000's because a certain up and comer couldn't time a jump to save his life but he can twist the trottle just fine, until he hits the ground.  The ama wants their to be a "super star" to do to the sport what McGrath did.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:19:49 PM by Cable Stretcher »

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 06:40:52 PM »

First of all.. Nowadays tracks are way more technical than the past..

You need to take a look at some of the mid-early 90's sx races.  The tracks today have ramps not jumps the tracks today have rolling braking bumps not pizza slice, do or die, cant roll them cause you would high center WHOOPS!

I remember going to sx in the early 90's and you would be hard pressed to crawl up a jump much less walk up it.  This change happened in the early 2000's because a certain up and comer couldn't time a jump to save his life but he can twist the trottle just fine, until he hits the ground.  The ama wants their to be a "super star" to do to the sport what McGrath did.
the best SX track last year IMO was the one LaRocco designed. straight out of the '90's it had no spots to rest and cruise. it was so busy that the 250F guys were visibly winded when pulling off after the race.