Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2010 2 stroke predictions coming true  (Read 10216 times)

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
2010 2 stroke predictions coming true
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »
Just want to spred some good news. We had a few riders come into our shop this week and talked about a recent Southwick NEMX race with a lot of two-strokes on the track. He claimed there was about a 50/50 split, even in the pro class, with John Dowd riding a 2 stroke. One of the riders said the 4 strokes took all the fun out of racing for him with their extreme expense to keep them running an entire season.
                        :)           Paul :) :)

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 2 stroke predictions coming true
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:17:47 AM »
The reason many of us ride / race is for the grin  ;D factor....  the piggy 4 strokes took that away, and made many riders lazy and lighter in the wallet  :o ....  I too see in my area 2 strokes making their presence known.  I'm more off-road, GNCC / Enduro riding, but in this type of racing, smokers are also increasing in numbers.  :D :D
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:52:57 PM »
with the bad economic situation last year i started to notice more and more two strokes at the tracks. alot of 2000- '05 era bikes were starting to show up. not a 50/50 split but just not me and my friends anymore. in my area more like a 10-20% showing which is much better than the 1-3% it was a few years ago.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »
People just started to realize that 4 stroke was all hype and doesn't offer anything better that 2 stroke..
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:14:31 PM by 2smoker »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »
Yep,2010 is the biginning of the return of the 2 stroke! ;)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:14:47 AM »
I'd like to think that sites like this may have had some effect.  Aside from the forums, we've got a seemingly-bottomless pit of articles and stuff that really make a strong case.  I haven't seen anyone writing long argumentative editorials on four-strokes, because all the arguments boil down to, "Look at (insert big name here), he rides four-stroke!" and "Look at (insert number here), it's bigger!"  It'd be interesting to see if there has actually been someone who's written an editorial-style argumentative in favor of thumpers.  I'd rather like to see how strong/weak the arguments are.

By the way, here's a shameless plug for my own paper, in case you missed it or didn't know it was me.
http://twostrokemotocross.com/2010/03/two-stroke-superiority-internal-combustion-engines-compared/

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:34:01 AM »
Place 4 stroke blown parts where old world is.   Jedi with 2 stroke   ;D

www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 11:31:24 AM »
People just started to realize that 4 stroke was all hype and doesn't offer anything better that 2 stroke..

The four-strokes do offer more than the two-strokes!!

More displacement...

More expense...

More whining...

More noise...

See.. you get a lot more with a four-stroke!!  ;D ;D

JETZcorp - thank you for the compliment about this site... it is greatly appreciated. Of course a part o me would like to think the site had some influence, but it's all the folks that see or have seen that they can make a difference. One bike at a time.

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline kawi250

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 05:20:33 PM »
I went to the first open practice at southwick the day after the NEMX race and there was a ton of 2 strokes out there, way more then i expected. My buddy even blew a piston on his crf and the track guys were giving him a hard time at how much he was going to pay to rebuild it haha. But there was definately close to a 50/50 split in the novice and amateur classes

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
  • win on a 2t your a hero, lose just blame the bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
i wish it was better here in cali. at least amongst the fast guys. i was expecting to see more and more but its really the same. at least i myself help the situation. i just raced the loretta qualifier at hangtown last week and thought i would see some serious 2t's on the line. they were slim pickins. none in the 250/450 exp / pro. there was 1 kid on a yz who rode in 250b and did well, i had my eye on him the entire race. couple of 125's. the super mini's were dominated though by 85 over the 150 and it always fun to watch the 65's. will see how it looks when i head south to qualify down there at peris.

oh and who said 250 2t were not competitive. sh-t i qualified against a line of 450's and went 3,3 and im heading to honey lake for the regional on my yz, yah baby. who knows god willing i might just be driving to tennessee. yah right, i wish.  man that would be a dream come true, i think i would retire if i got a bib!!!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 04:24:42 AM »
westsiderippa  CONGRATULATIONS!! That is awesome that you did so well!

You point out a very important detail.. at the motocross epi-center (California) the slant is still leaning more to the four-stroke. Not sure why that would be, but as you can see other areas of the country are making some big changes...

Most of the magazines and factories are located in California, so this is what they see every week, four-strokes. But they have no idea what is going on in the rest of the country...

It's almost like the two-stroke resurgence is going un-noticed by them!! How weird!

2010 will be their eye-opening year!

Braaaap!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 08:01:15 AM »
You know, I think that California is very into the latest thing, although, the joke may soon be on them, they may be running outdated equipment soon:) And also, a question, why are so many magazines based out of California? It get's kind of annoying, the same tracks they talk about, and, to me, i would not have my magazine based in California, I would have it somewhere where real dirt actually exists in great amounts, like Montana, or Canada, I don't know, just an opinion.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 08:48:35 AM »
Here's an interesting link.  Seems the big OEM's are not as smart as they like to think. Look at the percentage of KTM's over the other makes.  I know I went into a dealer looking for a 2010 KTM 150sx and was told those sell as fast as he gets them and he could sell 10 more if he had them.  KTM is listening to the population and giving what they want.

http://www.moto-tally.com/nepg/Manufacturers.asp
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline SaveThe2T!

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 12:29:01 PM »
Not happy about the FIM 250 class, but I think this is a step in the right direction! Hey AMA, how about doing this? ( I hope it's okay to post this link)
[url]http://www.easterndirt.com/?p=3054]http://www.easterndirt.com/?p=3054

Offline KX125rider

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »
Here's an interesting link.  Seems the big OEM's are not as smart as they like to think. Look at the percentage of KTM's over the other makes.  I know I went into a dealer looking for a 2010 KTM 150sx and was told those sell as fast as he gets them and he could sell 10 more if he had them.  KTM is listening to the population and giving what they want.

http://www.moto-tally.com/nepg/Manufacturers.asp

I wanted to buy a 250sx earlier this year but i was told they are all sold out for 2010. that was in late january.  :o