Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Will this Direct injection 2 stroke have the smooth lazy power of a 4 stroke?  (Read 7230 times)

Offline 2Strokeruturn

• Novice
    • View Profile
I want the same hard hitting powerband and fun of a 2 stroke! This E tec will it be the same as the carb 2 strokes but with just better gas? http://youtu.be/8Og0JCGKmQ4
http://youtu.be/dYsYEd2RD5c

http://youtu.be/IG6KLb8lThY
Watch all these videos
Say if they made a 500cc sport bike or dirt bike with E tec or what ever you call it will it have that same HARD hitting powerband as the Carb 2 strokes but just have more low end?
It took a 1000cc 5 cylinder 4 stroke just to beat a 4 cylinder 500cc 2 stroke sport bike in Motogp. Same with motocross 2 strokes are just the best Honda had to buy the AMA and FIM just to change the rules so 4 strokes could keep up Honda only cared about the money!

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
I want the same hard hitting powerband and fun of a 2 stroke! This E tec will it be the same as the carb 2 strokes but with just better gas? http://youtu.be/8Og0JCGKmQ4

Watch all these videos
Say if they made a 500cc sport bike or dirt bike with E tec or what ever you call it will it have that same HARD hitting powerband as the Carb 2 strokes but just have more low end?

It could have whatever power delivery you want to program into it. If you want to loose some bottom end and get some wicked top end rush, just put a new map in.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile

Watch all these videos
It certainetly will not lose any power @ all & it will be very,very smooth yet aggressive! As juliend stated it can also be programed to run many different power curves & I personally can't wait for a DI 2-stroke dirtbike to come out!!! ;D

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
  • The future is bright...
    • View Profile
What could make the engine smoother to use is variable intake/exhaust geometry, this already existed for two strokes in a form of reed valves and exhaust port valves. The engine will still however have to be designed around a certain speed range for it's maximum power, I don't think the two strokes will be "neutered".

Perhaps at the same time we could also give the four strokes some balls, with forced induction, oh wait, bearing lubrication, more weight, charge-cooling, fail fail fail. Ahaaa :D

Let's keep it simple 8)
"The 500 is another world. The bike come from another world."
-Valentino Rossi

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
I say let the four-strokes use forced induction.  Then they might actually be able to rival a two-stroke in power per unit displacement, and if that means they're $5000 more expensive and blow up in half the time as now, then it means all the more market demand for two-strokes.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
A guy in my area builds turbocharger kits for 2T snowmobiles,now if you want power....

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
The first(just oneof the many) small hurdle you have to overcome with the 2T DI fairytale is Orbital and Ficht hold all the current patents, the royalties that would have to be paid would render any ROI a long long way off in the future.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Somehow this issue has been handled in the snowmobile AND outboard motor world already. If ROI didn't work on those machines I don't think they would have been on the market for the last few years...

The first(just oneof the many) small hurdle you have to overcome with the 2T DI fairytale is Orbital and Ficht hold all the current patents, the royalties that would have to be paid would render any ROI a long long way off in the future.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
AFAIK BRP and Evinrude developed their own systems,they have pockets deep enough, and alternate sales to off set the investment needed.
If there were no hurdles why has not any motorcycle manufacturer embraced either direct or straight EFI on a 2 stroke engine?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
The new Ossa trials bikes are FI and,from what I have heard, are selling very well.There are obviously significant hurdles to overcome in the application of DI to offroad 2T motorcycles and,given the present economic climate,it seems manufacturers are sucking up to the 4T crowd while using us 2T diehards to help fund their 4T development programs.I just spoke to an American friend and he said 4 bangers blowing up have helped kill motocross in his area.Bill also said that when DI 2Ts come out he will be first in line to buy one (he rides a Husky WR250). :-X

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
There are probably several unique challenges for DI in dirt bikes that snow and water folks do not have to deal with. One is the sheer pounding our machines take over the rough stuff, another is the really dirty environment (I can just picture what a dirty air filter on a dusty day would do to DI injectors) and the last is our light weight and compact packaging priority. These are either not an issue on boats/snowmobiles or are not so severe as in our world. I *believe* this is where the delay is coming from, but that's just from me. I have no inside knowledge of course...

AFAIK BRP and Evinrude developed their own systems,they have pockets deep enough, and alternate sales to off set the investment needed.
If there were no hurdles why has not any motorcycle manufacturer embraced either direct or straight EFI on a 2 stroke engine?
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
I believe the best chance is Can-Am.
BRP own Evinrude,Ski-Doo, Can-Am and most importantly Rotax.
Problem is the economic climate.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
I don't expect KTM to do a DI 2 stroke soon.
As they have clearly stated they will keep the carburators as long as they can, or
as long as the tolerating rules of sanctioning boards will let them...
I expect one of the smaller Euro brands to do it first,
that's IF it happens...

Or maybe a bigger company, like Husaberg (known for radical changes / innovations) or Rotax or BMW.
If only they should try something for a road legal 320-500cc 2 stroke enduro! ;D

Altho i must say,
i am equally charmed by, or happy with- a propperly well jetted carburetted 2 stroke!
If they change the 2 stroke, they must prove us that it's better in every aspect,
if not, otherwise I will just stick to the trusty carburators. . .

Offline Shawn36

• Junior
    • View Profile
My question would be why would you even want it?  Same with fuel injection.  The appeal of 2-strokes is 3 fold for me: 1) cost 2) weight 3) ease to repair.  By adding electronics, fuel pumps, or anything else besides a stone-age carb you're taking away all 3 of those advantages.  To me if 2-strokes want to really make a comeback they need to approach things completely different.  Build a bare bones race bike the public can buy at half the price of anything currently out. 

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
My question would be why would you even want it?  Same with fuel injection.  The appeal of 2-strokes is 3 fold for me: 1) cost 2) weight 3) ease to repair.  By adding electronics, fuel pumps, or anything else besides a stone-age carb you're taking away all 3 of those advantages.  To me if 2-strokes want to really make a comeback they need to approach things completely different.  Build a bare bones race bike the public can buy at half the price of anything currently out. 

Things being what they are these days,enviro-wise anyway,if you stick with your criteria,the number of 2t's you'll be able to buy new in a few short years will be zero.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.