Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Will this Direct injection 2 stroke have the smooth lazy power of a 4 stroke?  (Read 7022 times)

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Idk about that.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
If you want something light, cheap, and easy to repair then I recommend getting an air-cooled Suzuki or Yamaha, preferably the ones before long-travel suspension and reed valves came onto the scene.  Those things were indestructible, and they had about as many moving parts as a folding lawn chair.  They were very light, too, because they were small.  Was the performance up to par?  No, not really, especially if you're into racing.  But hey, you didn't mention performance as being one of your criteria!

As I've said before, I will welcome DI so long as the benefits outweigh the costs.  If it can produce a two-stroke that is okay on emissions, and perhaps provide an increase in performance (unburned hydrocarbons = wasted power) then I think that will be more than enough to offset the increase in purchase price.  I'm not convinced that maintenance costs will go up tremendously, because it's my impression that this hasn't been an issue where DI has been tried already.  The one concern I have is that parts availability 35 years from now might be a problem, but apparently I'm the only person on the planet who cares about that, so whatever.

Besides, if you're happy with a 2009 YZ250 today, and a fleet of new DI bikes come out that in your opinion aren't as good... just keep the 2009 YZ250!  Unless it's made illegal to run that bike in whatever event you're doing, you'll have a damn good machine to rely on.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2 stroke 4 ever and more

• Novice
    • View Profile
My question would be why would you even want it?  Same with fuel injection.  The appeal of 2-strokes is 3 fold for me: 1) cost 2) weight 3) ease to repair.  By adding electronics, fuel pumps, or anything else besides a stone-age carb you're taking away all 3 of those advantages.  To me if 2-strokes want to really make a comeback they need to approach things completely different.  Build a bare bones race bike the public can buy at half the price of anything currently out. 

Hi folks, I've always been a fan of 2 strokers and like most of you over here, would love to see them back... that being said it has been a while i am reading silently the forum and eventually here re my 2 cents from french magazines; one i read one year ago, where a KTM manager interview said as everyone here already know: they do have the DI techno set and working fine. Now from an other add in an other magazine this month: yes ktm has it, but as stated above from other posts, it will be more expensive, more complicated techno... hence what mentioned in the the last post above!
Europe is very very stringent when comes eco bullcrap and pollution, yet still ktm will be reluctent and do every not to introduce their DI stuff. They said in the said mag do not expect it until 2014/2015... sad if could be! Hope they re wrong though!

Now in the same paper a mention from Ossa the old trial bikes brand whom came back with their akward 2 stroke injected are working toward an enduro bike 2 stroke for the upcoming year. The engine seems to be on the bench test at the moment and frame is also supposely innovative as is the trial one...

wait and see 2 stroker fellas, hopes the skies gone be better for us all dreamers, albeit DI may change lubrication and thus smell of oil burn that I delight over here when a moped get passed down the streets of old europe!

davy