Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Smoking Cigarettes and the Battle Against Nicotine Addiction  (Read 18009 times)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
Smoking Cigarettes and the Battle Against Nicotine Addiction
« on: March 05, 2011, 05:32:01 AM »
By now I'm sure most of you are familiar with me as an active forum member. I love 2 stroke motorcycles! I love riding, racing, working on and drooling over others sweet 2 stroke off-road/mx bikes.
This sport is the most physically demanding sport on the planet.
 And I am a smoker. Not a proud smoker, an addict of a product that was literally forced down my throat during my youth.
I was born in the early 70's, when cigarettes were advertised on television commercials as much as McDonald's Restaraunts are today. Everyone "cool" on TV smoked, Hell everyone smoked.
There were smoking areas at my middle school and high school. There was Joe Camel, and the Camel Supercross, the Marlboro Man, I'm sure you "crusters" remember, I'm just setting the scene for our younger Forum members.
 I started smoking at 13, and by the time I was 16 I was smoking a pack a day. I knew the risks, I saw the pictures of black and cancerous lungs. But it was cool and sophisticated, and I was, as many are, a stupid teenager, and in a big hurry to be an adult. I have now been a smoker for 25 years, and although I have made many , many attempts to quit, have failed every time. On New Years Day, I decided to quit again, this time for good. I didn't smoke for 3 days, cold turkey. I was a nervous wreck, I decided that could reward myself with a small cigar for my progress, man that was the best 75 cent cigar I ever had, by the end of the week I was smoking 3 a day, which, compared to my 2 pack a day cigarette habit was small change. I still wanted to break the addiction which lead me to the cigars, I called the Florida Quit Line, and talked with a counseler, decided on the Nicotine lozenges, and set my quit date. The package arrived and I didn't buy anymore cigars, for a couple of weeks. I bought a pack of cigarettes one day after forgetting to take my lozenges. A week later I am still smoking, albiet, 3 packs a week, as opposed to 2 packs a day. And using the lozenges to take the edge off of the cravings.
 Truth be told, I am proud that I have cut my Nicotine intake down to a 1/4 of what it was, I feel better, I'm not waking up coughing up golf ball sized chunks of phlem anymore. But, I am still addicted. And it sucks.
I have on smoke left in this pack, I will not buy a pack today.
I will not buy a pack tomorrow.
I will break this stupid addiction.
And I will kick you in the ass if I see your stupid teenage ass light up that first cigarette. (Directed towards my kids, but will be glad to boot yours too, if given permission too if you aren't there to do it yourself)
If you're a kid and reading this, it's really not worth it, NO ONE thinks it's cool anymore.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Re: Smoking Cigarettes and the Battle Against Nicotine Addiction
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:39:54 AM »
And I will kick you in the ass if I see your stupid teenage ass light up that first cigarette. (Directed towards my kids, but will be glad to boot yours too, if given permission too if you aren't there to do it yourself)
If you're a kid and reading this, it's really not worth it, NO ONE thinks it's cool anymore.
+1

I have been trying to quit for years... I guess that means I wasn't trying..
It's hard, and it sucks!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:36:30 AM »
After his first heart attack my father quit cold turkey and ,having quit,could never understand why he started in the first place.I found my father on the driveway and I saved my father's life.Smoking eventually claimed my father when I was barely out of my teens and I have spent my entire adult life without his companionship (I lost my mother when I was in my teens).My children never met my father and he was truly an amazing man and led an amazing life.

Smoking and Nicotine addiction is a pact with the Devil,it will degrade and then take your life just when you truly begin to enjoy life.I have never smoked and my friends and sisters are in a constant,life threatening battle to quit.My only advice is to quit at whatever the cost may be and embark on a life of physical fitness and proper nutrition,like any investment,the older you get the greater effect it will have.

Offline Swimr2DaResQ

• Expert
  • Awww Yeaah!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:35:53 AM »
Never went down the smoking path(at least not cigarettes), But I had been chewing/dipping since I was 15. I quit at 25 and I can honestly say I don't miss it at all! I'm sure it is far more difficult to quit after 25 years, when it has been such a big part of your daily routine. My dad has been dipping since before I was born and he has tried tirelessly to quit, I hope one day he will find the strength to do it. Just stick with your decision to quit! As you said, you can already tell a difference in how you feel in the morning, and your overall health will start to get better and better, everyday. About your level of Physical fitness, it is very interesting to me that people who have been smoking for years and make this change seem to make extraordinary progress in fitness, especially their cardio! It has to do with their VO2 max. After years of living with very little oxygen, when compared to a smoke free individual, they can now use their lungs to almost full capacity, allowing their body to take in more oxygen than it used to. More O2 means your muscles can sustain a constant and interval pace far above what you were previously able to do when you were still smoking! I am very fortunate that my job is so physically demanding, I am in the gym almost everyday, always looking for new workout routines, the latest and greatest, lately I have gotten into Crossfit, wow, what an a##kicker! I have a lot of knowledge and resources on getting in shape and maintaining it, hit me up if you need any thing! Once you see the difference in your physical ability and overall health you will be amazed and proud of yourself for quitting!

Breathe the Clean and Fresh air, you are now better man for you and your family because of it! 8)
"Technology frightens me to death. It's designed by engineers to impress other engineers, and they always come with instruction booklets that are written by engineers for other engineers - which is why almost no technology ever works."

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 02:58:20 PM »
Good luck Myck! You can do it  :D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »
I'm a big fan of smoking, but only when it's produced by burning fuel, or burning rubber.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »
thanx guys, I did really well today, smoked 1 and probably wouldn't have if I didn't have an appointment. we took a break after the outline( I'm a professional tattoo Artist) and I went outside with her so she could have a smoke, next thing you know I've got one of hers. But I kept my promise to myself, I didn't buy any more, and I only have 5 lozenges all day.
I can already tell the difference in my cardio, I didn't ride alot last year, and put on alot of weight, 20 lbs, around Thanksgiving I decided to give up the triple weekly all you can eat ribs at Sonny's, I've dropped 20 lbs since then, and have been riding pretty regularly since. I've noticed that since New Years I've been able to maintain my full race pace for a much longer time, my arm pump is taking longer to set in, normally mile 4 and I'd have to stop and stretch it out, now it's setting in around mile 8 but I'm able to stretch it out much faster and once I get it I don't get it again.
I'm able to maintain steady breathing when I'm really pushing it, and can stay focused longer as well. I have been expieriencing some pretty severe leg cramps though, I have been supplementing with potassium to combat them.

If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline YZ250ACE

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »
I smoked from 13-21 and quit cold turkey. Never went back to it. What scared me was seeing my uncle die from lung cancer. Smoking eventually killed my father too. I knew a friend of mine who was a chain smoker, like 3 packs a day for 40 plus years. Got a bad flu and bronchitis and quit cold turkey. He never went back to it. Just quit cold turkey and turn yor back on those stupid butts. :o

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:05 AM »
You can stop, you have to find something to do with your hands to replace it. Buy more than 1 packed of the nicotine chewy(so you don't get caught short) when that starts to taste like an ashtray your within sight of the chequered flag. Last but no means least say to yourself  everytime you see a smoke " Cigarettes are the ememy not my friend"

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:18:27 AM »
I think a more effective method would be to imagine that instead of looking at a cigarette, you're looking at a penis.  That should help counteract the temptation... well, for straight men, anyway.

"Breaking news!  New polls indicate that men across the world have suddenly ceased smoking, presumably in response to Michelle Obama's, "It's a dick" campaign, which encourages smokers to consider why the British refer to cigarettes as 'fags.'  However, there are some negative consequences being reported, as rates of woman smokers has nearly doubled, and tobacco shortages are rampant in the San Francisco Bay area."

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 03:47:13 AM »
Keep up the fight Mcklung,I'm cheering for you.I'm in the throws of the same thing and have been cutting down gradually.Cold turkey isn't an issue but for me,it generates severe migraines that render me completely non functional.I think doing it slow is worse,but is my only option right now.Good Luck!
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:54:59 AM »
The lozenges really help take the edge off, good luck to you as well
I'll keep that in mind Jetz,
"it's a dick"
"it's a dick"
"it's a dick"
"it's a dick"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:56:44 AM by MyckMcClung »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »
Me as well. :(
I managed  to quit 3 years ago for 1 year but then decided the odd cigar wouldnt hurt. Yeh right.
All my freinds have the odd cigar at bbq's while having a drink and none of them are smokers.
Unfortunatly i started again. I am now trying to quit again and am taking zyban which is government subsidised.
I am down to less then a 30g packet of roll ur owns for the week.
Hopefully will get it down to 0.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 03:48:40 AM »
I tried zyban and as far as I could tell,it didn't do anything.I know some have had the same experience but have had good luck on champix-I haven't tried that yet.Cripes,what a bunch of losers we all are  ;D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.