Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Smoking Cigarettes and the Battle Against Nicotine Addiction  (Read 17927 times)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking Cigarettes and the Battle Against Nicotine Addiction
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 03:47:32 PM »
I think everybody here has the dirt bike addiction! - some addictions are better then others. :D

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »
I've quit both cold turkey with no side effects other than looking how at how stupid both are to do. I'll never smoke again and I occasionally drink for kicks but could easily do with out. You guys are weak that can't quit, plain and simple. If a doctor said quit today or die tomorrow, would you still do it ? NO. Plain and simple.

Lol,now that's funny :D When I was quit for two years I made it a point not to come across with the "ex-smoker holier than though" attitude.As I said,for me,it's not the cravings but the migraines.Regardless,I'm in quit mode now and down to few a day with no migraines so it's a foregone conclusion.
I never heard about the blood type thing sachs though I am O negative.It also means my blood type mixes with everyone.After the weak comment Ace,I don't believe I'll give you any :D
As far as addictions go,likely my best resource would be my wife.Years ago she broke me of my sex addiction rather handily-and almost cold turkey  :( ;D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 09:15:41 PM »
I've quit both cold turkey with no side effects other than looking how at how stupid both are to do. I'll never smoke again and I occasionally drink for kicks but could easily do with out. You guys are weak that can't quit, plain and simple. If a doctor said quit today or die tomorrow, would you still do it ? NO. Plain and simple.

So apparently you haven't actually quit drinking   ::)  And as for smoking, I've quit before and I'm sure I'll quit again but I happen to enjoy smoking usually and of course if I was told to quit today or die tomorrow I would just like if I was told to quit drinking Pepsi today or die tomorrow I would. Funny thing is when I gave my mom a kidney the doctor told me to quit riding dirtbikes, within a month I was back on my bike  ;D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 10:09:46 PM »
Ford,look into blood type theory and I think it will open your eyes.I believe depression is more prevalent in type "Os" and the resultant substance abuse is an attempt to "self medicate".I used to suffer from fairly severe allergies and by changing my diet to that recommended by blood type theory (and ironically back to a Northern European diet my parents fed me as a child) I was able to rid myself of doctor prescribed medications.No more "foggy" head!

I've also heard the best remedy for romantic addictions is a wedding cake. :-X

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 01:39:08 AM »
The wedding cake only works if your romantic addictions are of the legal variety...

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 02:46:42 AM »
i am 27 this march

and i never smoked

i don't drink alchool

don't drink coffe

don't drink cola,sprite etc

don't eat at fast foods

i was allways the subject of jokes,still am but i dont give a f..k becouse at the end of the day i am more healty and with much money in mw wallet

and more competitve in anything not just racing

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »
Ford,look into blood type theory and I think it will open your eyes.I believe depression is more prevalent in type "Os" and the resultant substance abuse is an attempt to "self medicate".I used to suffer from fairly severe allergies and by changing my diet to that recommended by blood type theory (and ironically back to a Northern European diet my parents fed me as a child) I was able to rid myself of doctor prescribed medications.No more "foggy" head!

I've also heard the best remedy for romantic addictions is a wedding cake. :-X

Being the type of person who is interested in ,well,everything(or as the wife would say,possess mass amounts of useless information),I find it hard to believe this escaped me-I've never heard tell of it.I'll check in to it.Thanks.
Oh yeah,I'd definitely agree with the wedding cake theory  :(

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »
I truly feel for you folks dealing with attempting to quit any type of harmful addictions. I lost my dad to lung cancer. It is the most painful way to die.. not that this information would be enough for anyone to quit.

A few things that I've observed. If you have friends that smoke and your trying to quit, either don't see those friends for a while or get new friends. I know this sounds harsh, but when your with a bunch of people that do something you want to quit it's much more difficult to do.

Another thing is smoking causes you to take very deep breaths, filling your lungs with smoke and expanding your chest. Most people in everyday life do not breathe very deeply. When you feel the need to smoke a cigarette, go outside and do deep breathing for the length of time it would take to smoke. You'll find out that you will probably get high from deep breathing the fresh air. Now there's a habit you can really sink your teeth into.

Personally I only smoked one cigarette in my life. Didn't like them at all. The first one was at 12 years old, my dad said that if I was going to smoke that I had to smoke in front of him. I was the oldest of 4 and my mom, brother and sisters were there. After the first puff I wanted to quit, dad told me that I started it that I had to finish it. I turned a brilliant shade of green. I never smoked again... neither did my brother or sisters. Obviously not starting in the first place is the better option.

I know that quitting is a tough road. Remember that it is a two pronged addiction - mental and physical. You must deal with both of these or you will not be able to quit. Using affirmations and positive thinking will help with the mental part. You must find a reward system that works for you. Negative methods do not work.

Then you must find something to do with your hands... smoking is an ingrained physical habit. Find something that works for you.

Good luck!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »
Then you must find something to do with your hands... smoking is an ingrained physical habit. Find something that works for you.

Good luck!

Good advice John! That hands thing is not just for smokers. When my brother quit drinking (he was an alcoholic too, another reason I am such a light drinker) his hardest thing was not always having a beer in his hand. He actually started an old hobby back up, model building. That worked for him, kept his mind and hands occupied.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »
Zyban is not as good as Champix I dont think.
Problem is champix is not subsidised here and is $400 a dose. :o
Need to try harder.
Bloody hell! I just got my second round of Champix yesterday, another 2 months worth, it cost $36.
The first months worth was the same price.
Champix is the go i quit within 8 days and havent looked back, i can actually smell, taste and best of all i can take HUGE deep breaths without feeling like someone has just stabbed me in the throat.. only problem though is it makes me wanna just eat, which isnt good when im a truck driver and dont do stuff all for a majority of the day..
Good luck with the quitting to all of you who are trying at least you are trying and thats the first step, i know how hard it is to do cold turkey and i would never have done it that way, not without killing someone anyway.. ;D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 03:28:26 PM »

Good luck!

Sorry John,but that's poor advice when you're talking to a man who's wife's life's ambition appears to be celibacy. :-X :D

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »
thats great advice John i agree 100% and though im not attempting to quit chewing, i feel like somethings wrong if i dont have a dip in when i get ready for school in the mornings beef jerky in a can is a pretty good remedy for that
2000 yz125

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 05:58:54 PM »

Good luck!

Sorry John,but that's poor advice when you're talking to a man who's wife's life's ambition appears to be celibacy. :-X :D

Sorry to hear that Ford... maybe you need a fun hobby that uses your hands with another part of your anatomy?? :o :o
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
well I totally screwed up, and started smoking again, for a week, but I had gone without for long enough to see the the positive health results. Within 3 days of smoking again I started to get a sore throat, then it moved up to a cough, and phlem, I was feeling so crappy I just quit. I'm done with it. Still have my lozenges, and just gonna hold onto them for when I'm driving.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 12:50:18 AM »
With regards to doing something with your hands, it was interesting watching the things my parents came up with when they quit smoking (they did so at the same time, and for the same reason (they were getting really tired of my toy t-rex nagging them about it)).  My mom decided to take straws and cut them into cigarette-sized sections and use those to recreate the motions of smoking.  My dad didn't like that because he was tempted to inhale through them and it was way too easy, so he started using toothpicks.  They both quit successfully.

Unfortunately, my dad picked the habit back up again when they got divorced, and he's been procrastinating the next quit for a while now.  I think I might have to bring Rexy over to his house for some nagging.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?