Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: It's so confusing!!!  (Read 2660 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
It's so confusing!!!
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
The whole rule change allowing displacement disparity between two and four strokes, has created so much confusion. This is a big reason that I continue to push for equal displacement.

Imagine trying to explain our sport to a non-moto friend. How would you do it?

In some areas they call the 250F class the 125 class, in the pros it's the 250 class. 125cc two-strokes have to compete against 250 four-strokes in some areas, including the Pros and at other local and regional tracks a 250 two-stroke and 250 four-stroke compete head-to-head.

When 250 two-strokes compete against 250 four-strokes, the world did not stop spinning, in fact even at equal displacement the winner of the race is based on the riding talents of the racers and the conditions of the tracks. Why is there so much resistance to re-setting the rule to the way it had been for 72 years of the sports history.

If the manufacturers want to sell four-strokes, fine. Set up a separate class for four-strokes. Let the consumers decide which bike they prefer. Could it be that they're afraid that the consumer will not side with their plans? Whatever the case, displacement MUST be equal. If the racing is not fair that way, then introduce a second class.

For example;

125cc two stroke
250cc two-stroke
250cc four-stroke
Open class - 251cc and up any stroke

What brought this rant on? My good friend forwarded a link to the NEMX (New England MX) home page. He usually does not write a description, he likes me to figure out what he's trying to say!! LOL Well I scrolled down to the bottom of the page and found the following;

* All NEMX Classes will run as scheduled

* Race Program will not be changed.

* CRF150's are allowed in the 85cc class.
    * 250 2 Strokes are allowed in the 125/250/Open classes.
    * 250 4 Strokes are allowed in the 125/250/Open classes.
    * 250 2 Strokes are NOT ALLOWED in the 125 Youth classes.

2-Strokes Are Not Dead Yet!

BRrrrrrrrrap

NEMX allows it's  members to ride 250cc two stroke bikes in the 125 & 250 classes.

250cc two stroke bikes will not be allowed to run in the 'Youth'  125 class.

Yet in New York just over the border, you have to race a 125cc two stroke against a 250F in the "125" class??

Man I need some Tylenol!! :o :o
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:20:36 PM by John Nicholas »
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: It's so confusing!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »
  NEMX allows it's  members to ride 250cc two stroke bikes in the 125 & 250 classes.

So, I can race a 250 two stroke in the 125 class also? That's weird, It's like cheating.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 06:06:04 AM »
Out of Order - That's what's so confusing... their "125" class is 250F's!! And their 250 class is 450F's!!

See what I mean all the local race organizations are completely confused and there's not a simple easy rule across the board. Whether in this country or any other.

It's got to be simple for all involved. Right now we have convoluted rules and a huge mess.

Unfortunately it's up to the AMA to fix this mess, but that's like asking the wolf to babysit Red Riding Hood... it's not going to have a happy ending!!
Life is short.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 05:02:28 AM »
What drives me crazy is how commentators, experienced riders in many cases, will rave about how powerful and superior the 4 strokes are, without pointing out the disparity in engine sizes. It just puts it out to viewers that 4 strokes are sooo, much better than those old, gutless 2 strokes.... >:(.

Several people, that I've sat down with to watch race videos with, have been stunned when I've pointed out the capacity advantages that 4 strokes have been given - once told, these casual "enthusiasts" have tended to see the whole racing thing in a different light, and not a very favourable one at that. It seems the average person easily grasps the advantage that has been given to / exploited by the four stroke bikes.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:06:52 AM »
You are so right!! The casual fan gets it right away.

Every person I've explained it to that has nothing to do with racing says virtually the same thing, "That doesn't sound fair!".

The weird thing is that so many people in the industry feel that it is right as it is!!
Life is short.