Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Read Maico Test Part 2  (Read 3471 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Read Maico Test Part 2
« on: December 15, 2009, 09:06:59 PM »
The latest installment of the Maico long term test written by our own Mad Scientist is posted on the main site.

Check it out!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: Read Maico Test Part 2
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 02:56:29 AM »
I enjoyed it thoroughly!  There's so much information there that I started wishing he'd made a video of a complete tear-down, showing every little thing that makes a Maico tick.  I was a little unclear on the clutch-cover thing he was talking about, so a picture demonstrating that would've been nice.

Maico have come a long way in terms of clutch maintenance.  Back in the days of yore (when a Maico clutch was a unique piece) you had to take the whole of the engine out of the bike, and turn it sideways before you even thought about working on the clutch.  You also needed some special tools to keep the clutch plates from flying out and sawing through your neck (this almost happened when my dad tried working on his 450 way, WAY back).  Compare this to working on one of the classic, what I call "Honda Style" clutches they use now.  When we worked on the clutch on my Husky, we kept the bike in the truck, tie-downs and all.

That said, I miss the old clutch.  It's given me one of my fondest memories.  I was trying to figure out how it worked so I could make one in mechanical design class (this was very recent, I'm still making the thing).  I spent a lot of time staring at an explosion chart of the '78 model engine, trying to figure out how it worked.  The "Honda Style" seemed straightforward to me after watching the tobyeo video about it on YouTube.  Then it suddenly snapped and I realized the genius of their design!  It was so original and unique, it almost had me in tears.  Granted, it's still a bit of a bitch to work on, but it's damn creative.  Below is the picture I've been working from.

http://motors.opferman.com//Images/Maico/Manuals/1979Spares/1979_1.jpg

That was a lot of post about a very small part of the article, but whatever.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 07:38:23 AM »
I enjoyed it thoroughly!  There's so much information there that I started wishing he'd made a video of a complete tear-down, showing every little thing that makes a Maico tick.  I was a little unclear on the clutch-cover thing he was talking about, so a picture demonstrating that would've been nice.

Maico have come a long way in terms of clutch maintenance.  Back in the days of yore (when a Maico clutch was a unique piece) you had to take the whole of the engine out of the bike, and turn it sideways before you even thought about working on the clutch.  You also needed some special tools to keep the clutch plates from flying out and sawing through your neck (this almost happened when my dad tried working on his 450 way, WAY back).  Compare this to working on one of the classic, what I call "Honda Style" clutches they use now.  When we worked on the clutch on my Husky, we kept the bike in the truck, tie-downs and all.

That said, I miss the old clutch.  It's given me one of my fondest memories.  I was trying to figure out how it worked so I could make one in mechanical design class (this was very recent, I'm still making the thing).  I spent a lot of time staring at an explosion chart of the '78 model engine, trying to figure out how it worked.  The "Honda Style" seemed straightforward to me after watching the tobyeo video about it on YouTube.  Then it suddenly snapped and I realized the genius of their design!  It was so original and unique, it almost had me in tears.  Granted, it's still a bit of a bitch to work on, but it's damn creative.  Below is the picture I've been working from.

http://motors.opferman.com//Images/Maico/Manuals/1979Spares/1979_1.jpg

That was a lot of post about a very small part of the article, but whatever.

That's for the props jetz. I will include video in part three, including the clutch. Then it we be clear. Plus I want to add some ride video in there, but it's snowing like mad here now. Doesn't mean I wont tow over to the west side and unload a Prison camp and ride there if I have to.

Also, if I've left anything out, readers plese feel free to ask and I'll answer it, best I can.

As for the early clutches...genius may be an understatement! The design is awesome. It was easy to change the "pull" by using more or less washers in different configuartions. It also reduced rotating mass by centering the weight of the springs (another cool idea). We just lay the bike on it side and pop off the cover to get to it. That said, I was at a WORCS race earlier this year. For some reason, instead of a real pro start (with a gate), this particular race was a dead start. Many of the 4T teams were fighting to get them to start in gear in one kick. I was watching on e particular team service the clutch on their 450. They laid it on it's side, and replaced the whole clutch. I can't tell you how many tests I read where Maico took a beating for that very same thing. BTW, the bike in question did have an service cover over the clutch. He could have done it on the stand!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 08:39:34 PM »
Wow, that's a fail.

By the way, you mentioning Prison Camp reminds me that you're really not that far from here.  I'd rather like to meet up at Woodland or something one of these days.  Just throwing that out there.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:28:59 PM »
I don't make it to Woodland much anymore, but my brother is up there all the time.

I'll PM as I will be in town at the end of the month and again in the middle of January.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 04:26:20 PM »
I never really go to Woodland either, but I enjoy it when I do, and it makes for a fun event once or twice a year.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 04:52:04 AM »
Bellville(sp?) washer stacks - they've been used on many clutches over the years - even little KTM 50 autos have them as their spring/force source. Highly adjustable things are those little concave washers! 8)

John: Why is it that I can't use my name & paasword from the forum in the normal section of the site - I've gone to chime in on the Maico test series and it seems I may need to register for that section? - by the way, I'm still trying to sort out my problems with my ISP to be able to send you copies of MXDigital,

Bear

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 05:11:10 AM »
Bear - unfortunately you have to register separately for the main site....

Since this whole forum thing was just an experiment for me, I didn't look for ways to have only one log in for both. Now that the forum is picking up steam, I'll have to look into doing this. Most likely it won't happen until after the first of the year.

As for the Motocross digital stuff, what if we work out a trade? If you burn them to a disc and post them to me, I post you a t-shirt and some stickers in trade. Sound fair??
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!