Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: dirt rider tested 2011 ktm 2stroke  (Read 4853 times)

Offline MCGRIDDLE_321

• Expert
    • View Profile
dirt rider tested 2011 ktm 2stroke
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »
http://www.dirtrider.com/news/first_rides/141_1006_2011_ktm_150_and_250_sx_first_ride/index.html

just like i said when i rode the little 150, it makes the 250f feel like a slug...

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: dirt rider tested 2011 ktm 2stroke
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:07:15 PM »
Hold on, stop the presses.

The shock is still offset to the right side of the bike a bit.

What?!  I'm just wondering, how much is "a bit?"  This sounds like the kind of think that would make the bike take jumps and bumps just a little bit weird, kind of like a twin-shock bike with different amounts of oil in the shocks.  Or are we talking about half-milimeters, here?

Also, I don't like the white rear fenders, it seems like they're emulating Honda in that aspect, which is... meh.

Anyway, the rest of it seems awesome.  Sounds like they're actually making serious advancement in the two-stroke line now that the sales have shifted, and it's really nice to hear they're not only keeping the chromoly frame, but actually mentioning it and standing by it.  The line about not following the same mold as everyone else sounds a lot like what Maico was saying, and I'm forced to wonder if maybe there was some communication being traded back and forth between Germany and Austria.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline MCGRIDDLE_321

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:46:16 AM »
there shocks have always been off to the right... well on there newer models.. that 150 is sure a fun bike. i really want one.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:26:35 AM »
I think the 150 is the perfect MX bike. This bike is what everyone wants. It was amazing that KTM started making it in the beginning. Now it's the most wanted.

Offline ferrahount

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 12:16:53 PM »
there shocks have always been off to the right... well on there newer models.. that 150 is sure a fun bike. i really want one.

Yeah that's true I had a 2004 250sx and the shock mount was not in the center but off to the right. That is not a problem or a flaw in design and does not compromise handling. Just think about road bikes (and I mean superbikes) that have a one sided swingarms or that have just one side "forks".
My heart beats every cycle, so does my bike!

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:39:49 PM »
Makin me even more excited to ride one, only nine days to go.............wooohooo, they are a fine lookin piece of machinery and i bet they look even better in the flesh.
Its a pity they wont have a 250sx there next weekend to try out...................still im excited to have a try of that 150.

I think if they had any dramas with the offset shock they would have scrapped it by now, my 01 had PDS with the shock fairly offset to the right and it never caused me a drama.
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 02:46:11 PM »
Hold on, stop the presses.

The shock is still offset to the right side of the bike a bit.

What?!  I'm just wondering, how much is "a bit?"  This sounds like the kind of think that would make the bike take jumps and bumps just a little bit weird, kind of like a twin-shock bike with different amounts of oil in the shocks.  Or are we talking about half-milimeters, here?

Also, I don't like the white rear fenders, it seems like they're emulating Honda in that aspect, which is... meh.

Anyway, the rest of it seems awesome.  Sounds like they're actually making serious advancement in the two-stroke line now that the sales have shifted, and it's really nice to hear they're not only keeping the chromoly frame, but actually mentioning it and standing by it.  The line about not following the same mold as everyone else sounds a lot like what Maico was saying, and I'm forced to wonder if maybe there was some communication being traded back and forth between Germany and Austria.
An offset shock would only be an issue if the swingarm flexed alot. i think they stiff enough not to on modern bikes.

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »
Just as a little fyi on the shock thing.  The ability to move the shock to the side greatly increases the possibility for straighter intake of air. Thus, part of the reason KTM is able to get so much power out of the 2 strokes compared to their counterparts.  For instance, if you do any research on kart motors, look at their intakes. They are straight in.  Then take a reed block off a old CR or something.  The reeds will be all used up on the bottom right side. The reason, the air is flowing directly that way, because it had to curve around the shock. 
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 04:53:06 PM »
I always did think putting a big kink in the intake was kind of sketchy after years of looking at dual-shock bikes that don't have that issue.  How far to the side is the shock, anyway?  It sounds like in designing it you'd have to balance between straightening the airflow, or having weird things happen with the swing-arm or with sudden jolts moving up through the bike in weird ways.  If it's not exhibiting that kind of behavior (I've never heard anyone complain about that) then it can't be offset by half a foot or something, right?

Great, now the engineer in me is trying to figure out a way to make a rear suspension that doesn't interfere with the airbox, and the only solutions I've come up with are dual shock (which has the problem of being rather wide and easy to get unbalanced) or Yamaha's original under-the-seat monoshock, which was being criticized in the magazines.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »
I agree with ya TotalNZ about not liking the white rear fender as I'm not too crazy about it myself,but I personally don't think that the new KTM's are trying to emulate Honda because it was KTM that originally had all white plastic to begin with all through the 80's & the mid 90's... :)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »
I always did think putting a big kink in the intake was kind of sketchy after years of looking at dual-shock bikes that don't have that issue.  How far to the side is the shock, anyway?  It sounds like in designing it you'd have to balance between straightening the airflow, or having weird things happen with the swing-arm or with sudden jolts moving up through the bike in weird ways.  If it's not exhibiting that kind of behavior (I've never heard anyone complain about that) then it can't be offset by half a foot or something, right?

Great, now the engineer in me is trying to figure out a way to make a rear suspension that doesn't interfere with the airbox, and the only solutions I've come up with are dual shock (which has the problem of being rather wide and easy to get unbalanced) or Yamaha's original under-the-seat monoshock, which was being criticized in the magazines.

KTM is not the only company to use a single side mount shock. ATK immediately comes to mind from as early as the mid 80's.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »

KTM is not the only company to use a single side mount shock. ATK immediately comes to mind from as early as the mid 80's.
[/quote] Yeah Coop did'nt KTM hire the original ATK engineer,I think his name was something like Horst Leitner "not to sure it's spelled correctly" to build them a 125cc 2-stroke in the early 80's and he put the rear shock entirely on the left side of the bike?Needless to say the bike Horst built looked good in the magazine I seen it in but KTM never produced the bike.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:15:33 PM »
Yes horst did build that bike for ktm.I actually have a pic of it from an mxa mag a few years back.Engine was also used as a stressed member.Silencer came out by the swingarm.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 07:00:29 AM »
I wonder who has that KTM-125 that Horst built for them back in the early 80's? I know out in Ohio (not exactly sure where?) but there is the Motorcycle Hall of Fame that has alot of historic motorcycles and here in September when I go to Cincinnati to visit Pops & family I'm going there to visit because last year on my way home from Cincy I was able to see the building but I had a pretty long drive back to Maryland so I just made a mental note to go there next time I go to Cincy to visit the family & to take my Katoom out so I can ride my own bike instead of one of my step brothers 4-wheelers or his over due for piston & rings RM-125! :)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 07:15:35 AM »
I've been to the motorcycle hall of fame. I don't recall seeing that KTM there, but they change bikes around and I was there last summer. It is in Pinkerington Ohio.

http://motorcyclemuseum.org/
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.