Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What's stopping.....  (Read 6337 times)

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
    • View Profile
What's stopping.....
« on: June 09, 2010, 04:51:40 PM »
....others from forming a national type racing series stirctly for the 2 stroke set. Yeah yeah I know. They are called the amatures. ;D

What stops this from happening. The AMA? The manufactures?
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of the Way

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
Re: What's stopping.....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 05:46:14 PM »
The money  :(
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:27:08 PM »
Or in my case, lack there of....  :D  ;)
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Watson777

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:23:34 PM »
We used to help run the 4-Stroke National Series until it made no sense to have a 4-Stroke National anymore. At that point sponsors of the series were talked to about continuing sponsorship and shifting gears to a 2-Stroke National Series and not a single industry sponsor that helped with the 4T Series was interested. They all said it made no sense to put money into a thing of the past.

Offline KTMguy

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 03:13:36 AM »
That's bullshit. It'll change here pretty soon. More and more guys are switching.

Offline meger z

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 03:15:47 AM »
speak to the man from 125 mx, hes on this forum,  he made the dream come true in the UK. :D

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »
I doubt very much that the 2s MX is a "thing of the past". I've been surfing the web looking for DI 2s user comments and in each case the comments are the same - "superior torque production". For example: a guy with an Aprilia DI 50 scooter who stated that the scooter "had way more bottom end" then his larger 4s scooters.An outboard user who switched to an E-TEC Envinrude outboard that "vastly out accelerated" his 4s outboards. A GM engineer who commented that GM's experimental 2s 244 cu. in. 6 made "as much or more torque" then their 454 V8. A SKI DOO snowmobile owner who said his DI 600 sled had "way more punch" than similar 4s snowmobiles.

If and when we see this technolgy applied to 2s offroad motorcycles I suspect things will change rapidly in the sport.

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:22:22 AM »
I think project two 50 has the best chance at changeing this.If the team starts to finish in the top ten, then other privateers might follow suite and start running really hot 250s.If every privateer were to line up on a two stroke and the only 4ts were the factory bikes they would change back overnight.
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline Watson777

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:28:06 PM »
2-strokes are bad ass no matter how you put it. I also snowmobile and would never ride a 4-stroke. they are terrible for back country riding when compared to the 2-stroke.......

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 11:38:31 PM »
Hold on, hold on, hold on.

Where can I read more about this 454-beating DI two-stroke from GM?  I knew that GM did some experimenting with extremely efficient two-strokes, but the one I heard whisperings about was a very economy-minded three-cylinder.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
Jetz, I'll try to remember where I read the 2s 244 six info.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 07:23:38 AM »
....others from forming a national type racing series stirctly for the 2 stroke set. Yeah yeah I know. They are called the amatures. ;D

What stops this from happening. The AMA? The manufactures?

The simple answer... money!!

The next so simple answer, ask 10 people what a Pro Two Stroke National Series should look like, get 40 or 50 different ideas. I actually did do this using a survey last year. The responses were amazingly positive, but everyone had a different idea of what would work best.

Our very own Meidios worked very hard over the past 8 to 10 months to gather some momentum and begin a series. While he made some headway and had industry people interested, he was ridiculed by some very top level people in the industry.

It is a thankless job.

Yes Chris Barker in the UK set up a series there, but the UK is very small when compared to the USA. Many racers in the USA complain about traveling 2, 3, or 4 hours to attend a race. Building a National Series that would fit into these driving distances would be next to impossible. It would be a local or regional series.

I think the idea has great potential. It's probably not the best time for it right now....

This is one of the reasons that we are working from the other way with Project Two 50... get more folks interested in two-strokes racing, then see if we can either add more or spin off another series...

Just ideas...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 07:46:52 AM »
It would be a local or regional series.
That's a good place to start.  The CMC and before that,
the Florida Winter AM were regional series that drew big
crowds and lots of interest.  The best way to get a
national series up and running is to start small (state or
regional) and grow it from there.

It's probably not the best time for it right now
Agreed.  The economy will have to improve before people
start thinking about sports and recreation instead of
putting food on the table.

dogger

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 01:34:42 PM »
For sure $$$$$. Is the root of all this.  Lets say that money wasn't an issue. What then?  I mean the 2 stroke train has gotten alot of new passengers these past couple of years. No matter what site I go on or mag. I read its the same. People buying new or going back to the smoker. Someone has to listen to the consumer right? One of the local Yamaha dealers can't keep the 2 strokes on the floor. They sell rather quickly. Look on craigslist at all the ads that state will trade 450F for 250 smoker. I guess its going to take all the top pros to show up an a national event on 2 strokes to change industry opinion.

Keep mixing that gas fellas. BRAAAP!!

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of the Way

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »
2s 244 six vs. 454 : WWW.SNOWGOER.COM  "Why 2-Stroke Direct Injection Is A Big Deal". :D