Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Silencer Packing  (Read 14453 times)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Silencer Packing
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:37:03 AM »
I did a search and didn't find anything, so sorry if this is a repost. I would like to repack the silencer's on both mine and my nephew's bikes (1988 KX125, 1997 CR80 Expert).

I am just curious what everyone is using and much you pay. In a google search it seems more people are recommending regular pink house insulation, but I am skeptical. I have used FMF in the past and it's what the local shop carries but of course they are sold out right now, LOL.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Silencer Packing
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 07:00:54 AM »
I'm pretty sure the pink house insulation will come out the first time you ride your bike...

I know that I saw a video about it someplace, but FMF has it in stock if you want to order it...

http://www.fmfracing.com/Mode/Category/47/
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 07:27:51 AM »
Yeah I just can't believe house insulation works. On the two stroke sections of thumpertalk seems a lot of guys use it. But I sure don't want to be repacking every time I ride and I don't want to waste the time experimenting if it doesn't work, lol.

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:08:06 AM »
.House insulation will work it is the same makeup but not as dense as the pre packaged kit from fmf.If you choose this get the narrow roll that is put down on top of a foundation wall. It gose between the concret and the stud wall before they stand it up to seal air leaks. You will need to make a few rows of it and use some tape to hlod it while you insert the pipe.( its a real hassel)
 The most important part of repaking is that you clean the holes in the pipe. if they are plugged up the noise cannot get to the insulation. so it will be as loud as it was before you started.
 Forgive me MR.Nicholas but the insulation is trapped inside the canister between the pipe and the housing chances are it won"t blow out 
Don't over pak,don't under pak..............BUY THE FMF PRE PACKAGED KIT     2-STROKES RULE
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »
I wanted to do it today is why I researched the house stuff when my local shop was sold out. But I think I will just wait until Thursday and try a couple different shops for two stroke packing and be done with it.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:48:43 AM »
I've used pink insulation for decades without a problem. I'm careful to clean the inner perforated tube each time and I've found the house stuff to actually be quieter then the moto specific silencer material. Even back in the old days during an almost 500 mile two day qualifier - never an issue.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »
SachsGS how often to do you repack using the house insulation? I am intrigued and just might try it and until I can get to the shop.

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000301824082&ref=profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:27:43 PM »
You guys got to be kidding me!!!!! House insulation? are you all really that cheap?Spend the $20 and get the stuff thats made to use in your silencer.......Man i think i seen it all now   :o

Honda CR-250R #2.....Vet Class
CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
It has nothing to do with being cheap. I read about doing a web search and I am inherently curious person. I like to know things. There are a lot more people using it than you realize RideRed. I think I may just wait until Thursday to get to a shop for the regular packing, but I find this interesting that the people that use it like it, and the people that never tried it bash it  :) . I don't like repacking silencers, never have enjoyed it in 30 years of riding and working on my own bikes, so I am just going to wait.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
I've used house packing in the past, seemed to work just as well as purpose built stuff, although I would reccommend wearing thick gloves and some kind of forearm protection as the glass in it can do some real damage to your hands and arms.

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 03:54:06 PM »
First of all im not bashing anything,its called an opinion and im sure there are millions of ppl using it but that doesnt mean i am.I could care less if the whole world started using it........whats next using cooking oil in your motor?   :P

CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 04:05:40 PM »
........whats next using cooking oil in your motor?

Hmmm... :D

I don't plan to use it either, but I am still interested to hear about people's experience using it.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »
Use the real deal.You can use pink stuff and many other materials if you want to experiment but there's a reason the price conscious manufacturers use what they do.The backyard solution is rarely the best option.
Still,why not give it a shot coop and apprise us of your results/findings comparing the two.I've also heard tell of people using disposable diapers as well-just to throw another option in there.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:09:27 PM by ford832 »
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »
The reason I mentioned not to use the pink fiberglass stuff, is because the weave on it is very loose. This is engineered into the product for it's intended purpose, to insulate a home. The properties of insulation are made to offer "space" .... the insulation must expand to do it's job.

While I'm sure if you did a real good job of keeping the stuff tight, it "could" work pretty well, although I think in this case the purpose built stuff would work better.

Although what about a place like this to get it from?
http://www.bgf.com/muffler_packing/default.asp
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
Sponsered by Huggies...........   :P