Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Silencer Packing  (Read 14467 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: Silencer Packing
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 07:38:18 PM »
I think my bike is slightly under-packed at the moment...

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 08:39:54 AM »
If cost was an issue I wouldn't have TMs and Maicos in the workshop. European bikes such as Gassers,TMs and Maicos typically have these huge "honking" silencers and I find they are both quieter and make smoother power with the pink stuff. Why would I compromise performance?

I change the packing material when it gets saturated with exhaust debris. The bike will get louder and power will be "raspier". I carefully clean the inner diffuser,wrap it with the sound deadening material and secure with a little masking tape. Slide into the outer silencer and you are off top the races.

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 07:13:30 AM »
For a two-stroke, regular house insulation will work fine. I've used it for years, and I typically get 15-20 hours between re-packs before the insulation becaomes burned and hard. The dedicated packing material may last slightly longer due to longer strands and higher density, but it costs far more. I can repack my silencer half a dozen times or more with house insulation for what it costs to repack once with genuine packing fiberglass.

Don't use house insulation in a four-stroke. The higher exhaust temps will burn the packing out very quickly.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 02:04:38 AM »
Yep i've used house insulation in the past with no problems.
I use the moto specific stuff now purely for convenience.

Offline RedFoxCR

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »
Whassup! I've just repacked my silencer with that so-called house insulation. Looks like the previous owner o'the ride used that , too... I was really bored of getting that stuff out with a screwdriver... In our country it ain't no pink, but sand-yellow or tan.  So i took some new stuff, luckily i have a huge pack in my garage, and got it repacked... The result is unbelievable: the exhaust sound is JUST THE SAME! It was a waste of time. ... :(
Neytiri:Now you choose your CR 500R. This you must
feel - inside.If he also chooses you,move quick, like I showed.You will have one chance, Jake.
Jake:How will I know if he chooses me?
Neytiri:He will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 01:30:50 PM »
LOL. I wanted to find out for myself so I did repack my nephew's CR80 Expert silencer with the pink stuff. It actually softened the exhaust note at the silencer, now I realize how much sound is actually coming from the pipe itself. That must be some thin metal used on the OEM pipe.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 07:41:44 PM »
LOL. I wanted to find out for myself so I did repack my nephew's CR80 Expert silencer with the pink stuff. It actually softened the exhaust note at the silencer, now I realize how much sound is actually coming from the pipe itself. That must be some thin metal used on the OEM pipe.
OEM pipes are made from 20 guage steel. And yes, they are a major source of noise. That's why the KDX came with a double-walled boat anchor...errr...I mean pipe.

The FMF Gnarly is 18 guage.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 12:11:45 PM »
That's why the KDX came with a double-walled boat anchor...errr...I mean pipe.

Indeed it was.Moreover,it hardly looked like a conventional expansion chamber unless you consider flat the norm.Still,tough as nails and worked well once you trashed the stock muffler.I wish I could get something like that for the YZ.I'd be more than willing to pay the weight penalty to get some durability.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline 83 CR480R

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 12:14:30 PM »

Both work just fine.  I have used the "pink-stuff" and did not have any issues.  Matter of fact, it is cheaper, more accessible,....trouble finding a reason not to use it.  Just like pre-mix oil.......whatever floats your boat.

Offline KX-Ruggs

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »
We used to pack them with fine steel wool when I was a kid. Not sure if the bikes today would 
be ok with it , but it's an option. I need to do mine and the dealer packing is what I will use.
I am old but I can still fly.