Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Here is one  (Read 15026 times)

Recovered

Here is one
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:04:57 AM »
I'll post this and hope it works. If not, maybe the General can fix it up.

Maico 700 first ride- Tachyon xc cam

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Here is one
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 11:37:55 AM »
That is just an amazing place to ride!! Is that Dubai or something?? You could probably put a Grand Prix motocross course in there with ease and have room left over for an airport and shopping mall!

The Maico 700 never seems to really rev much, but my eyes were watering just watching the video. That bike was booking across the sand. There were a few moments where I thought the pilot was going to launch off a sand dune.

Great video.
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline losec

• Intermediate
  • naaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:01:32 PM »
Thats just sound plain dangerous. Come on, 700cc, that is a vulgar display of power
I never crash -I just make unexpected decelerations

Recovered

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:26:24 PM »
It is cool for me because it just has that "Maico" sound. It's all it's own. I'll stop here because I want to do the last part of my report and not give it all away here :o

But that sound......................................... 8)

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:36:39 PM »
I bet that thing has more hp and torque just above idle than a 250f does wide open!!

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:22:13 AM »
Wow!!!  ;D  Thanks for sharing!!

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:00:34 PM »
It does sound a great deal like an old air cooled stroker.BING-----BING------BING.............What's the buy in on the new Maicos?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »
The exhaust is distinctly Maico, but you can tell it's the newer breed by the transmission.  Hear that whistling wine?  That's the spur-geared Primary.  On every Maico right up to 1982, they used two- or three-row chains for the primary drive, which don't make that sound.  As a kid, this was one of the big things that stood out about my dad's 390 Husky compared to the Maico.  The Husky, being geared like everything else in the bloody world, made that whistle.  In fact, to this day, that 390 has a louder primary than any other bike I've encountered.

Here's an example of the "classic" Maico sound.  It's very similar, but the new Primary and the modern tin-can-sounding silencer have done their changes.

Maico Magnum 400 1978 vintage motorcross enduro

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
What is this guy problem? Twist the throttle..It is wide open!!!!!! god people!!!!!!!!!!! Rev tha B****!!!!!!!!!! Break in period or what lol! You guys don't realize that Maico won't save the sport at all... Rules changes will.. I like the big four..sorry big 5 with KTM, Contingency and aftermarket support...
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 07:17:34 PM »
2smoker - it sounds like you've not ridden a Maico.... it does not respond as well to the Japanese bike way of riding. You would probably get seriously hurt by revving it out. Actually the same can be said for any open class two stroke.

You are 100% correct rule changes are what is needed to bring the sport back. First and foremost that is the goal, at least for me.

The Japanese bikes are wonderful, unfortunately they have all abandoned ship on the two stroke. In a way leaving the sport much worse than they found it.

There money before everything approach has caused themselves great damage in terms of bottom line. There are warehouses full of '08 and '09 bikes. More and more people are giving up on the four-stroke and buying two-strokes.

As for the contingency, if they don't sell enough bikes, they will not have those "perks".

The aftermarket part seems to built on the idea that the bikes do not come race ready from the factory. What is the actual cost of a fully prepped and set up race machine? Shouldn't they come that way from the factory?

Just saying....

By the way welcome to the forum... we like you Canadians!!  8)
Life is short.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »
2smoker - it sounds like you've not ridden a Maico.... it does not respond as well to the Japanese bike way of riding. You would probably get seriously hurt by revving it out. Actually the same can be said for any open class two stroke.

You are 100% correct rule changes are what is needed to bring the sport back. First and foremost that is the goal, at least for me.

The Japanese bikes are wonderful, unfortunately they have all abandoned ship on the two stroke. In a way leaving the sport much worse than they found it.

There money before everything approach has caused themselves great damage in terms of bottom line. There are warehouses full of '08 and '09 bikes. More and more people are giving up on the four-stroke and buying two-strokes.

As for the contingency, if they don't sell enough bikes, they will not have those "perks".

The aftermarket part seems to built on the idea that the bikes do not come race ready from the factory. What is the actual cost of a fully prepped and set up race machine? Shouldn't they come that way from the factory?

Just saying....

John! Been a Two Stroke Militia Supporter since day one! You know it!!! So happy that this forum is up and running!!! I see this website growing everyday and nothing is more cool  than chatting with people with the same passion/addiction!

Fred :)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 12:20:06 AM »
Of course Maico isn't going to save the sport.  I don't think anyone's seriously saying that they will.  But, they can make an impact.  Anyone who makes a big splash with a very successful two-stroke will turn heads and help to boost the wave of riders to go the two-stroke way.  But, as you said, a rule change is the end goal.  In order to get that rule change, though, two-strokes have to get popular enough for the AMA do change or die.  Clearly, Maico aren't in a position to make waves like, say, KTM is.  That doesn't mean they can't make waves, though.

Still, all this is irrelevant in the context.  I don't like Maico because I think they're going to save two-strokes.  I like Maico because, and there's not really any other way of saying it, they are the Porsche of motorcycles.  They're a German machine, renowned for precise handling and perfect (if not the "most") power, and they like sticking to the formula that's worked for them in the past.  For Porsche, it's the 911 series.  For Maico, it's the big-bore two-stroke.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 05:12:26 AM »
Hey 2smoker.. of course I knew who you were!! Thank you for being a supporter and welcome to the forum!

I agree that it's awesome chatting with like minded people.

Even when we all don't agree 100%.... in fact that makes it so much more interesting. Could you imagine how boring it would be if everyone agreed with everyone else?  :o
Life is short.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 10:47:57 AM »
Of course Maico isn't going to save the sport.  I don't think anyone's seriously saying that they will.  But, they can make an impact.  Anyone who makes a big splash with a very successful two-stroke will turn heads and help to boost the wave of riders to go the two-stroke way.  But, as you said, a rule change is the end goal.  In order to get that rule change, though, two-strokes have to get popular enough for the AMA do change or die.  Clearly, Maico aren't in a position to make waves like, say, KTM is.  That doesn't mean they can't make waves, though.

Still, all this is irrelevant in the context.  I don't like Maico because I think they're going to save two-strokes.  I like Maico because, and there's not really any other way of saying it, they are the Porsche of motorcycles.  They're a German machine, renowned for precise handling and perfect (if not the "most") power, and they like sticking to the formula that's worked for them in the past.  For Porsche, it's the 911 series.  For Maico, it's the big-bore two-stroke.

Jet? Are you talking about the 70's or 2009-10? I will trade any Maicos for a Service Honda Big-Bore anytime! Even If Maico comes up with the coolest 500Cc ever with up to date alu spare frame, EFI...and more power than you can really use.... They are only for a specific niche anyways and not the masses ..Talking about an impact about the sport? I really doubt it..

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 11:12:07 AM »

Just saying....

John! Been a Two Stroke Militia Supporter since day one! You know it!!! So happy that this forum is up and running!!! I see this website growing everyday and nothing is more cool  than chatting with people with the same passion/addiction!

Fred :)

Totally disagree with the 2 much power statement! Put Larry Roseler, Ty Davis or Destry Abott and they will show you How a to rock a MAICO! Remember them back in the days..??? Crazy Desert Racers! Still Have a bunch of DVDs about the old Team Green!

Team Green Kawasaki Desert Racing Off Road