Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Here is one  (Read 15036 times)

Recovered

Re: Here is one
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 09:24:20 PM »
Of course Maico isn't going to save the sport.  I don't think anyone's seriously saying that they will.  But, they can make an impact.  Anyone who makes a big splash with a very successful two-stroke will turn heads and help to boost the wave of riders to go the two-stroke way.  But, as you said, a rule change is the end goal.  In order to get that rule change, though, two-strokes have to get popular enough for the AMA do change or die.  Clearly, Maico aren't in a position to make waves like, say, KTM is.  That doesn't mean they can't make waves, though.

Still, all this is irrelevant in the context.  I don't like Maico because I think they're going to save two-strokes.  I like Maico because, and there's not really any other way of saying it, they are the Porsche of motorcycles.  They're a German machine, renowned for precise handling and perfect (if not the "most") power, and they like sticking to the formula that's worked for them in the past.  For Porsche, it's the 911 series.  For Maico, it's the big-bore two-stroke.

Jet? Are you talking about the 70's or 2009-10? I will trade any Maicos for a Service Honda Big-Bore anytime! Even If Maico comes up with the coolest 500Cc ever with up to date alu spare frame, EFI...and more power than you can really use.... They are only for a specific niche anyways and not the masses ..Talking about an impact about the sport? I really doubt it..

We are talking about right now. Have you ever RIDDEN any open class 2T? Go back out and read part 1 of my long term Maico test. Since I OWN one, and have ridden the CR and KX 500, I CAN tell you what they are and are not. Go ride a Maico, them tell me wht you think. Sitting at your computer guessing won't cut it.

As for aluminum frames which are all the rage...marketing gimmick. Plain and simple. You can read about it in part 2 of my long term test.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 10:01:45 PM »
Of course Maico isn't going to save the sport.  I don't think anyone's seriously saying that they will.  But, they can make an impact.  Anyone who makes a big splash with a very successful two-stroke will turn heads and help to boost the wave of riders to go the two-stroke way.  But, as you said, a rule change is the end goal.  In order to get that rule change, though, two-strokes have to get popular enough for the AMA do change or die.  Clearly, Maico aren't in a position to make waves like, say, KTM is.  That doesn't mean they can't make waves, though.

Still, all this is irrelevant in the context.  I don't like Maico because I think they're going to save two-strokes.  I like Maico because, and there's not really any other way of saying it, they are the Porsche of motorcycles.  They're a German machine, renowned for precise handling and perfect (if not the "most") power, and they like sticking to the formula that's worked for them in the past.  For Porsche, it's the 911 series.  For Maico, it's the big-bore two-stroke.

Jet? Are you talking about the 70's or 2009-10? I will trade any Maicos for a Service Honda Big-Bore anytime! Even If Maico comes up with the coolest 500Cc ever with up to date alu spare frame, EFI...and more power than you can really use.... They are only for a specific niche anyways and not the masses ..Talking about an impact about the sport? I really doubt it..

We are talking about right now. Have you ever RIDDEN any open class 2T? Go back out and read part 1 of my long term Maico test. Since I OWN one, and have ridden the CR and KX 500, I CAN tell you what they are and are not. Go ride a Maico, them tell me wht you think. Sitting at your computer guessing won't cut it.

As for aluminum frames which are all the rage...marketing gimmick. Plain and simple. You can read about it in part 2 of my long term test.

It is really not tough for Maico to take the crown right now when it comes to Big-bore because all the major manufacturers stopped the production of any 500cc years ago.. Would like to see a shout-out between a Service Honda and a Maico in a racing environment..
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 01:56:17 AM »
I would like to see that, too.  From what I've heard, though, the Maico would take the crown in all things power.  The situation is exactly as it was in the old days.  The German bike makes more peak power, and it's said to come on smoothly and reliably.  I read a test in which they compared the classic '81 Maico to a '91 CR500, and their opinion was that the Maico had better power.  You hear all the time that riding a 500 fast requires the skill to "pull the trigger."  Apparently (and I should be quick to point out that I'm going entirely from what others have said) the hallmark of Maico power is the fact that they've removed the trigger and replaced it with a dial.  How much power do you want?  Okay, sir, here you go.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 04:06:10 AM »
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 04:48:19 AM »
My dad had that printed out many years ago.  It was part of the standard literature available in the bathroom.  :D

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 08:33:03 AM »

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 09:23:53 AM »
Though the Service Honda CR500s are gorgeous machines,that CR500 engine is rather dated in that it is a non powervalve motor.All of the big bore Maicos are powervalve motors and you can definately feel the difference when you ride them,very smooth and very fast.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 01:17:38 PM »
How much power does a CR500 produce, anyway?  I've always been curious as to how they compared to the likes of an '83 Maico 490 in the numbers.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 07:24:18 AM »
Any of the last of the CR500s should be around 60 hp and the 83 Maico 490 about 53 -55 hp.The numbers don't tell the story though,I own an 83 490 and that motor generates a lot of torque and is actually quite violent.It hits almost like a giant 250 and wears you out untill you learn to really meter the throttle.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 03:27:16 PM »
55 sounds way too low for an '83.  That year, they were pulling 6 horsepower more than the year before, which would put the '81/82 at a measly 49.  That's quite a bit less than the old 501, and not too far from the 42hp claimed by the '81 250.  I think I recall Super Hunky saying it had 63, which sounds about right given that the '81 is typically quoted in the 54-57 range, if I remember correctly.  I've found, though, that horsepower readings tend to be really weird.  Like, magazines saying that Husky's 390 makes less than 40 horsepower, which is less than a late-model Maico 250.  I've ridden both, and I can tell you right now that the 250 ain't got no 390-beating power.

Makes you wonder how that 67hp number is on the new 500, if you were to put it on 10 different dynos and test it.  I've always wondered about that sort of thing.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 08:12:04 PM »
I should first say that I'm speaking of rear wheel horsepower and,secondly, we all know that to compare readings obtained on different dynos is like comparing apples and oranges.Having said that,I recall having read recently a Cycle magazine test of an 81 Maico 490 and the dyno test states a peak output of approx. 50 hp.I own a newer Maico 500 that I estimate at 60 hp and I have ridden 81 490's (I have one stored away in boxes) so that would put the 83 490 halfway between at 55 hp.If you look at dyno readings of old big bore Maicos what is very surprising is not the hp readings (though very good even now) but rather the peak torque figures - modern 450 four strokes look puny by comparison.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »

1983 Maico 490 vs. 1992 Maico 500 vs. 1999 Maico 500

Maico Test

It should be stated that the displacement of the Maico physically did change to actual 500cc in the 1990s, before such time they were called "500" with the same displacement as the 1983 Maico 490.

I will trade any Maicos for a Service Honda Big-Bore anytime! Even If Maico comes up with the coolest 500Cc ever with up to date alu spare frame, EFI...

Not me, I've got 3 Maico 490s and a 86 CR500 and a friend of mine has the last year (2001) CR 500.  Have to say, Maico all the way the power is just so usable and the bike goes so good.  Would never even want a service honda, the CR has a light switch power band essentially while the maico has a dial and you can turn that dial as fast or as slow as you want, you are in control.  If I get stuck in the middle of a hill with a CR500, you got to start from the bottom because the tire just spins.  With a Maico, you can just roll on the throttle and put put right up. 

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 09:31:53 PM »
I wouldn't want to try tackling 7-Up on a CR500.  The powerband would probably make it even more ridiculous than it is to begin with.

1982 Maico 490 Climbs 7UP (7-Up) Part 1

By the way, one of these days I'm going to start making my own ride videos, so your monopoly on footage is short-lived, my friend. :P

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 11:33:53 PM »
Forgetting just the powerband and even the gearing being slightly higher, the bike is 500 pounds heavier and 3 feet wider than the maico.  You have the water cooling bullshit which adds it to be even more weight and wider.  It would be a lot harder to balance the thing on that ledge, actually probably wouldn't have fit on that ledge.  Plus harder to pull it up a wall like I did the Maico.  Riding a CR500 you kind of realize you have a lot more limitations verse riding a Maico as the Maico can go anywhere, which is why I tried it in the first place.

Haha, I don't have a monopoly, JasonMcColi has like over doulbe the people watching his videos than I do.  I don't have a husky to show tho

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 11:37:57 PM »
This is what would have happened if you rode a CR500 up 7UP:

browns camp insane roll over at 7-up