Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: I can feel a lawsuit comin' on  (Read 5163 times)

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
I can feel a lawsuit comin' on
« on: March 29, 2010, 12:31:08 AM »
www.maicomfg.com

This should get jetzcorp's blood boiling :D

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: I can feel a lawsuit comin' on
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:58:59 AM »
I should be really mad, but then I remembered that it really could be worse.  Have a go at the logo on this fancy paperweight.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:01:59 AM by JETZcorp »

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 01:37:20 AM »
Sorry to break it to you (and I'm showing my age here) but Husqvarna really genuinely did manufacture sewing machines.

Was there not a Bultaco ad campaign during the 70's that had a well aimed side-swipe at Husky along the lines of "We (Bultaco) only make motorcycles" or words to that effect.

Incidently, the modern day Husqvarna garden machinery is no more reflective of tradional Swedish build quality than their motorcycles are. No idea about what happened their sewing machines!

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 03:36:53 AM »
Husky originally started life as a rifle manufacturer way back in the early 1900's, if you look at the emblem it's actually a rifle barrel with open sights with the "H" in the middle.......but back to the Americian made Maico's :D

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 04:15:51 AM »
Not too sure about the deal on the American Made Maico, but I'm looking into it...

As for Bultaco, they made some stuff other than motorcycles...

And yes, Husqvarna made Sewing Machines, Chain saws...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:19:46 AM »
Wasn't Husky also involved with Electrolux at one time?

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:22:49 AM »
Made in the US, how come they replicate every part known to man with the chinese?  LOL  I'll email Maico and ask them what they think.
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:46:28 AM »
Maico is so awesome. They email you back fast.  ;D

Thanks for the e-mail, no this is nothing to do with us at all, many years ago imitation was the sincerest form of flattery but now its just people with cheap ideas trying to latch on to a credible name and attempting to make a fast buck before the general public realize the truth.

Quite simply they have taken a mini bike and called it a Maico nothing to do with us what-so ever,

Cheers
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline Huffieva

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:00:49 AM »
Husqvarna Motorcycles is a separate entity thet was purchased by Cagiva (Augusta M/V) who purchased the motorcycle business from the "Chainsaw / Sewing Maching" Husqvarna in the late 80's (around 1987) Not sure if they still are but Augusta's parent company was once none other than Harley Davidson, Husky motorcycles were sold once again a few years back and are now actually owned by none other than BMW, they are no longer made in Sweden (not Germany either as BMW would suggest) but in Italy (Where the production moved after their purchase by Cagiva), By the way the "Other" Husky still makes sewing machines and Electralux is in the ownership loop somewhere...

As far as Husky's quality goes, I have a 99 WR360 and its the best bike I've ever owned hands down, I have newer bikes and older bike and the Husky is always my first choice...

After all, they are still making (and importing) two strokes, that's more than most can say...

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 02:55:01 PM »
My wife has one of those fancy paperweight/sewing machine.
Cost almost as much as a new bike and does everything but
change diapers.

dogger

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »
Well of course I knew Husky made sewing machines.  That's why I said "it could be worse."  Maico has trouble with an imitator, Husky actually has fabric in its pedigree.  My dad has an original magazine with the "Bultaco Sewing Machine" ad in it, which is what inspired me to post that.

Anyway, the ownership history of Husky is fairly complex, so here we go.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/764/6018/Motorcycle-Article/The-Rise-and-Fall-of-Husqvarna-Motorcycles.aspx

Electrolux bought Husqvarna for its appliances, and left the motorcycle division to be its own independent motorcycle manufacturer until Cagiva steamrolled it in '86.  I'm going to stop there but the article goes on.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:01:17 PM »
Husqvarna is one of the oldest companies in existance, it is almost 400 years old they didn't just start in 1900, they did start motorcycles in 1903 tho. and they make pretty much everything, but ya they dumped the motorcycle division in the 80s. 

By law in Sweden you must own at least one Husqvarna product.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 09:03:21 PM »
And this was sent out yesterday, my reply to this thing was essentially:

Ya, no relationship, infact that page looks like crap. It was registered in Feb 2009, and the page makes absolutely no sense. The wording is abosolutely terrible. "Quality is not an option" is their solgan?

"Maico Manufacturing & Port City Cycle a division of Maico"

These are chinese dirt bikes, even tho they say "made in the USA" on the page, they mean assembled.

That's the "zongshen" logo on their page, chinese dirt bikes.

If you go to "http://portcitycycle.com/" it's a "Divison of Maico Mfg". If you go to "Maico mfg. it's a divsion of Maico" but you can't find Maico.

I mean check out this sentence:

"THE MAICO LINE OF MINI MX DIRT BIKES ARE PURPOSE BUILT KIDS MINI DIRT BIKES OF A BETTER QUALITY THEN JUST SOME THROWN TOGETHER OVERSPRUNG RATTEL TRAP OF AN OIL LEAKIN' , NO STARTIN' PILE OF JUNK THAT COMES FROM SOME PIT OF A FACTORY IN WHO KNOWS WHERE."

If they are saying that, that is pretty much what they are actually making, oversprung rattel trap oil leaking no starting pile of junks made in a PIT factory from who knows where!

Looks like they are mixing in some Kawasaki and Honda parts onto their bikes as well, so nothing is made in the USA.

I also like this:

"00
FOR
OVER
YEARS.
MAICO
Kawasaki
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES,
PERFORMANCE MOTORCYCLES,
&
PERFORMANCE PARTS FOR THE MOTORCYCLE ENTHUSIAST."

They are doing 00 for over 25 years, got to trust them!
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 09:26:44 PM »
Reminds me of a warning label on a glass we have here.

"Dishwasher Safe
Microwave Friendly
Do not Pour the Boiling Water into the Merchandise
Made in China"

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
Reminds me of a warning label on a glass we have here.

"Dishwasher Safe
Microwave Friendly
Do not Pour the Boiling Water into the Merchandise
Made in China"
Back in the early eighties I had a Husky chain saw. In the manual, one of the warnings was "Do not attempt to stop cutting chain with hands or genitalia.". I kid you not.

That did make me think, though. If they felt the need to include that warning, it probably meant that someone must have done exactly that.   ;D