Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: I must be a TOTAL PUSSY! Aaargh !!  (Read 8568 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
I must be a TOTAL PUSSY! Aaargh !!
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
Check your messages stu.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »
Thanks KIWI

Back on topic. Skidmark, first off and this is something I should have made alot clearer alot sooner: You're not a pussy as I believe you put it. Transitioning from a 250F to a 250 is a HUGE change.
If you're serious about finishing high but aren't sweet with the repair bill that comes with a 250F, my advice is to buy a 125. Any experienced rider on here will tell you a 125 is the most phenomenal skill building dirt bike, challenged by the 85 though, granted. I went straight from a 250F to a 250 because I really needed to make my engine last. Which I couldn't do if I was wringing the bikes neck all the time, as fun as that does sound :P Now I'm not saying race the 125, not against 250Fs. I'm saying use it on practise days. Alot. And still alot more. After you've done that go out and use it alot more :D THEN hop back onto your 250. With any luck, you will be hugely better. A 125 is a great bike to get back into riding the 2 strokes with. Who knows you might even have a real connection with a 125 and decide to race it. Either way, it will make you better.

Thanks my advice. Good luck mate. Its always inspiring to see a machine ring ding and zing its way over the chequered flag. Damn I really can't spell that word today

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »
My opinion - Race what your most confortable on, your decision on a racebike should not be based on rebuild cost. Ride them both and then decide.
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 12:32:10 AM »
My opinion - Race what your most confortable on, your decision on a racebike should not be based on rebuild cost. Ride them both and then decide.

Its a good call. As I've said I'm actually faster on two strokes but thats just me. If you're an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction on the 250F and can afford it, go for it. But if you really don't want to go that way and are still serious about motocross, considering riding the 125 for a few months. Even then, if you still want to go back to the 250F, you'll probably be better at it. Not to mention wringing a 125's neck is just pure adrenaline soaked bliss right? :P

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 04:54:27 AM »
Every time i ride my brothers 250f i come back to the pits saying i know how he can go so fast lap after lap. They are smooth and easy to be consistent. However, i can run the same times on my RM that i can run on his bike but i can do them more consistently on his, especially when i am tired.

At the end of the day for me it comes down to 2 things.

1) i wont do any better racing a 250f than i do on my rm. My starts on the RM are good because even with a bad jump off the line i can pull past a heap of guys before the first turn. It is easier to start a race up front and hold your position than start from the back and make up positions

2) the cost and extra maintenance. I spend too much time at work to come home and change oil and filters and check valve clearances every few hours in my limited spare time. 25 hours between ring changes and 50 hours between pistons and oil changes every 10 and that is it. Sure there are the other things that are the same on both bikes like chain tension, spokes etc but engine maintenance and cost goes to the 2 stroke. It also ties in with the first point too, why would i spend the extra time and money on a bike that wont improve my racing.

also after reading Jody Weisel's story on building his race ready YZ 250 it just makes sense to be on a 2 stroke. Nicely ported and flywheel weight, i would love to ride that bike to see what it is like. I have had bikes in the past when i was just starting to race ported for a more even power spread. It made them much nicer and easier to ride. The 250 can sort of get around that with the extra power off  the bottom that you can lug but it can only improve it

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 05:01:55 AM »
Every time i ride my brothers 250f i come back to the pits saying i know how he can go so fast lap after lap. They are smooth and easy to be consistent. However, i can run the same times on my RM that i can run on his bike but i can do them more consistently on his, especially when i am tired.

1) i wont do any better racing a 250f than i do on my rm. My starts on the RM are good because even with a bad jump off the line i can pull past a heap of guys before the first turn. It is easier to start a race up front and hold your position than start from the back and make up positions

2) the cost and extra maintenance. I spend too much time at work to come home and change oil and filters and check valve clearances every few hours in my limited spare time. 25 hours between ring changes and 50 hours between pistons and oil changes every 10 and that is it. Sure there are the other things that are the same on both bikes like chain tension, spokes etc but engine maintenance and cost goes to the 2 stroke. It also ties in with the first point too, why would i spend the extra time and money on a bike that wont improve my racing.

also after reading Jody Weisel's story on building his race ready YZ 250 it just makes sense to be on a 2 stroke. Nicely ported and flywheel weight, i would love to ride that bike to see what it is like. I have had bikes in the past when i was just starting to race ported for a more even power spread. It made them much nicer and easier to ride. The 250 can sort of get around that with the extra power off  the bottom that you can lug but it can only improve it

Well said. The 250s usually have a more forgiving powerband than the 125s/144s. If 250s can be made easier to ride it gives them a solid boost throughout the later minutes of a moto. Hey have you got a link for that story you mentioned?

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 07:26:52 AM »

Well said. The 250s usually have a more forgiving powerband than the 125s/144s. If 250s can be made easier to ride it gives them a solid boost throughout the later minutes of a moto. Hey have you got a link for that story you mentioned?
http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/INSIDE-MXAS-WORKSHOP-BUILDING-THE-ULTIMATE-2012-YA-8948.aspx:D
I love it  :D :D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 07:47:05 AM »
Thanks scotty. I appreciate it. What I'd give for one day on that monster :P

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
And he basically did all that for the price of a titanium 4 stroke exhaust. I believe that is a very similar setup to what DK runs in the nz lites class

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »
Its a good call. As I've said I'm actually faster on two strokes but thats just me. If you're an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction on the 250F and can afford it, go for it. But if you really don't want to go that way and are still serious about motocross, considering riding the 125 for a few months. Even then, if you still want to go back to the 250F, you'll probably be better at it. Not to mention wringing a 125's neck is just pure adrenaline soaked bliss right? :P

Yes it is  ;)
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 11:06:03 PM »
And he basically did all that for the price of a titanium 4 stroke exhaust. I believe that is a very similar setup to what DK runs in the nz lites class
Thats what I keep saying to my fooper trooper friends. I can do two top ends for the price of their valves. and 5 top ends for them to get their valves replaced.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »
Cool bike.Of interest to me was the fact that once he installed the same reed the KTM had,modified the head to what would have been stock before yamaha modded it to allow owners to burn a wider range of(crappy) fuel,and threw a pipe on it,he equaled KTM hp figures.So much for R&D.Just sayin' :D ;)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline rookie

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 04:29:36 PM »
the 150sx !

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2012, 12:40:31 AM »
the 150sx !

The funny part was you've posted exactly 150 times... hehehe...

Cool bike.Of interest to me was the fact that once he installed the same reed the KTM had,modified the head to what would have been stock before yamaha modded it to allow owners to burn a wider range of(crappy) fuel,and threw a pipe on it,he equaled KTM hp figures.So much for R&D.Just sayin' :D ;)

Is that with a YZ144 or the 125? And by equalling KTM figures do you mean the stock KTM figures? Or the ktm figures after its been pipped up and modded in the same ways except for where it is stock?

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 05:14:20 AM »
Sorry if I am a bit late to the party, but I have disconnected my PV before, it makes a difference in the low end, mellows the hit, but it WILL still hit in the top. You wont have as much power in the low to mid range, but up top you will still have most of the power. Try it, it's not like it will cause any harm. You would be basically turning your 250 into a powerhouse of a 125, which is a useful learning tool/stepping stool. Good luck  :)