Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 01 CR 125 case split, parts needed to re-assemble?  (Read 9214 times)

Offline wikid

• Novice
    • View Profile
01 CR 125 case split, parts needed to re-assemble?
« on: July 11, 2011, 03:58:56 AM »
Hello ladies and gents, I got into a 3rd gear tangled mess with what was a prime morning at the mx track with my buddy, but ended up as a de-railed chain cracking my left side case.  I have a new left side case on the way but am a virgin to splitting the cases.  This seemed as though it would be as easy as a two stroke top end but now I am seeing I need a fly wheeler puller and about 3 other specialty tools.  Am I wrong? (Please say yes) 

Also I am wondering what parts I need when going back together.  Base gasket, primary drive seal? any more seals? 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(and does anyone have Moto814 Steve's email?)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 01 CR 125 case split, parts needed to re-assemble?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:51:18 AM »
get a full gasket kit, top and bottom, replace everything, you will be glad you did down the road. Also find a manual online, and study it, and print out the pages needed for the tear down, reassembly, and the specs and keep it handy while doing the job.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:46:55 AM »
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline wikid

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:15:53 PM »
Daaang, someone made it sound alot easier (inexperienced, obviously) like it would just be a sidecover pull and replace.  Alright I'm off to find a manual and watch some youtube vids about it....any know of an online manual?  Do you recommend replacing the bearings that came in the left side cover(used)?  Thanks for the help, off to the bottom end of uncharted territory I go!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
It's not that difficult,just take your time and if need be,take pics of it as you haul it apart.It make it much easier as you can reference them upon reassembly.It's always best to replace all bearings,seals and anything else that shows wear while you're in there.Better that than tear it apart again a few months down the road.Pay close attention to your crank while you're in there as well.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline wikid

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »
Ford832, Mr T. saying no to fourstrokes...yeaaa!

Last three questions(you can only hope)

1.I got a flywheel puller, I also need ta get my hands on a case splitter tool?
2. Do those 4 bearings (primary drive,etc.) in the left case come in a kit perhaps? (Yea I dont wanna tear down this gutless wonder this far again so I'm going all bearings and seals)
3.I haven't ordered parts over the web in a coons age, whats the best/easiest site.  I'm talking good chain/sprock deals too

4. Hang Loose!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »
How bad is the damage? I've welded many damaged cases (still assembled) without any problems. ;D

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:50:01 PM »
Also go to You Tube and watch some vids on how to split the case. Rocky/mnt mc has you tube vids on how to split the cases and assemble and do bearings.
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 05:57:25 AM »
Indigo Racer Powersports is a sponsor here and offers a discount to forum members:

http://www.indigoracer.com/default.asp

I use them and RockyMountainAtv mostly. If I need an OEM part I have been using Ron Ayers because they are cheaper (shipping too) than BikeBandit. I am pretty sure Mike at indigo can get you OEM parts though.

As far as tools, you need a fly wheel puller to get the flywheel off. I use an air impact for the clutch nut so I never bought a holder. Do NOT use a screw driver to split the cases. Do you a search on google and you will see how folks have use pullers to split cases. Honestly I get ALL the bolts out (they are easy to overlook), place the engine on my bench, then use a soft piece of wood and a mallet and use that separate the cases. Just put the wood against the case half and tap it. I keep working around the case and once it starts to come apart it goes easily. Having said that, I have been rebuilding a lot of bikes the last year or two (I supply my nephews with bikes) so I may invest in a splitter for the next one as it would be faster and safer.

When it comes time to reassemble, follow eprovenzano's advice. Freeze the bearings, heat the case. Then heat the case with bearings installed and freeze the crank. Reassembly will be a breeze.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:18:48 AM »
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 07:59:44 AM »
To replace a damaged left side case you need only to pull the top end,flywheel,countershaft sprocket and side case fasteners.The clutch side of the motor can remain assembled-no need to touch it.Be careful as Hondas use a lot of shims in their transmissions.

In theory centre cases are matched sets and should be replaced in pairs. ;D

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 08:49:43 AM »
Normally I agree with your tech advice Sachs, but in this case I don't. I recommend completely disassembling and replacing both crank bearings/seals. No sense in putting it back together with used/worn parts. This way you shouldn't have to crack the cases again anytime soon (hopefully).
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »
I am seeing I need a fly wheeler puller and about 3 other specialty tools.
Lots of info here, both good and bad.

The new case you ordered from Honda will come with all the bearings pre-installed.  You will
need to purchase seals and retainers and, as somebody already pointed out, a complete gasket
kit (more cost effective than purchasing individual gaskets).

Since this is a ten year old tiddler, I recommend you replace all the circlips, shift pawls, shift pawl
springs, gearshift spindle spring, gearshift ratchet spring, right side crank bearing and all the seals
on the right side case.  This will essentially yield a like new feel (shifting action especially), for the
bottom end.

Before you start, I highly recommend getting a Honda Service manual.  There is a lot of useful
info, including seal depths, that isn't found in other manuals.

For tools, you'll need a flywheel puller and case splitter.  There are many other ways to accomplish
these two task, but I don't recommend them on your first attempt.  A good but inexpensive line
of tools is the Tusk brand sold by Rocky Mountain.  They also sell a crankshaft puller/installer
that is very useful for this job.

I recently posted an engine tear down and rebuild pictorial using a CR500 engine on anther forum.
The basics are the same and the pictures and techniques might be helpful.  Here is a link if you are
interested: http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-235/cr500-engine-build-pictorial-part-1-a-50432/

Good luck with it.

dogger

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »
Summary of a case split.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
Hey Coop I was just trying to clarify the fact that a total engine teardown was not necessary to replace the damaged side case.While it is better to "bite the bullet" and recondition the entire motor the repair can be done in a simpler manner. ;D