Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 01 CR 125 case split, parts needed to re-assemble?  (Read 8776 times)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: 01 CR 125 case split, parts needed to re-assemble?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »
Ford832, Mr T. saying no to fourstrokes...yeaaa!

Last three questions(you can only hope)

1.I got a flywheel puller, I also need ta get my hands on a case splitter tool?
2. Do those 4 bearings (primary drive,etc.) in the left case come in a kit perhaps? (Yea I dont wanna tear down this gutless wonder this far again so I'm going all bearings and seals)
3.I haven't ordered parts over the web in a coons age, whats the best/easiest site.  I'm talking good chain/sprock deals too

4. Hang Loose!

Nothing else I can add to the good advice above wikid other than I prefer to use the proper tools whenever possible.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline wikid

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
Hey ya'll!  Long time no update, but here I am with the scoot back together after a "good" Sunday afternoon of doing bike work.  So here it is...big moment, fresh filter, oil, gas, chain/sprockets.  One little thing going on in my mind all the way to putting on the last seat bolt......THAT GOSH DARN LAST WASHER!   Yea, I figured it looked like too much of a "inside motor" washer and after the first kick over of the motor: Yea something doesnt sound right...sounded like a "loose" piston or something wasn't right, second kick....same sound, definitely not something right.  Third kick and it's "locked"...stuck.   Lord, I know I didnt attend church today and did bike work instead, but please just let it be something on the top end.  Nah, it's gotta be that washer.  So...without a manual and not seeing where it may have "fell" from, does anyone know where this "medium" size washer may be from?  It can't go up against the four bearings.  Does it have something to do, or bump up against the tranny?  Quite a fun, new sort of realm of the two stroke world that I haven't wrenched into yet, and Im thinking I'll have to journey into there again!  My buddy said "hopefully it's just something stupid in the top end" but I think it was us being stupid and playing the "wait to see if you have any parts left" game.

Offline wikid

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 05:56:44 PM »
I just remembered this: The clutch pull seemed alot harder than normal too after we got it back together.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »
Pull your right hand case cover off.
Its either a clutch thrust washer or something from the gearbox.
Not knowing what classifies as a "medium size washer" the right side is where I would start.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 01:20:12 AM »
Hmmm i seem to remember a medium sized washer that dislodged easily out of the powervalve actuator.
Sounds like somewhere in the clutch would be a good start though.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 04:40:11 AM »
Pull your right hand case cover off.
Its either a clutch thrust washer or something from the gearbox.
Not knowing what classifies as a "medium size washer" the right side is where I would start.

Agreed.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 06:29:54 AM »
You should have a repair manual....  :o
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 09:33:34 AM »
Posting pictures would help lots too. A photo of the washer with a
quarter or a nickel in the frame would help us know what you are
talking about. Sounds like a thrust washer from somewhere. Maybe
the clutch, maybe the kickstarter shaft? When you open the cover
you can post pics of that too.

Is it 18 or 19 or 15?

Is it 10 or 9?

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:40:00 AM by citabjockey »
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline wikid

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »
Hmmm i seem to remember a medium sized washer that dislodged easily out of the powervalve actuator.
Sounds like somewhere in the clutch would be a good start though.

What exactly is the powervalve actuator? (I know, I know, I should have a manual)  This washer is about 3/4'' inner diameter, just guessing.  I will double check.  Thanks for the all the help/troubleshooting but I did not even open the right/clutch side...it has to be something between the left case cover and tranny or somewhere on that side.  I have a pretty strong feeling I'm going right back into her even though she sits completely re-assembled, ready to rail....well if I wasn't such a fleatard! 

Thanks for the microfiche pic, gave me the idea that I could actually "see" where it may go. 

Offline wikid

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 01:50:39 PM »
Effffffffffer...one thing I can already see I forgot/probly lost....the key in the flywheel shaft.  Would that cause the "locking" up problem?  Do I still get this souvenir washer? Looking further...

Offline wikid

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »
Ok, the clutch pull is from the key not being on the flywheel shaft and it bent the "prong" of the piece that holds the flywheel backing to the motor but also holds the clutch actuator in.  It bent off its bottom pin where it sits and allows the clutch actuator to come out farther, so I gotta either bend that back and get a new one. 

The washer is 13/16" inside, and about 1 3/16 outside diameter and it looks as though it matches right up with the primary drive bearing.  My other friend came over who has a bit of two stroke motor experience and agreed, and it has wear on both the o.d. and i.d. of it, question is when I get back in there what way does the "flat" go.  It seems like it would be "key" (haha pun intended for me being a retard) as the flat side has more of a burr on its edges.  I cant seem to find it listed on the microfiche though: http://www.cycleworldnj.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

So now I probably need a new key ( I know, I know, a manual) and the pullers again.  If the key is less than a week away Im definitely gonna order the flywheel puller and possibly a case splitter...the right tools for the job!  Garrrrrrrf     I'm going to re-use the gaskets, keep your thoughts on that within your own self.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 05:50:45 AM »
Just mark this down as a learning experience...  When I rebuilt my son's Honda 400EX, (yes he's a quad turd) I put 1st hear in backwards.  It was rubbing on the case...  It split and re-split the case 3 times before a friend on mine found it... I also sheared the flywheel key upon reassembly....   :D
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 07:04:03 AM »
When I rebuilt my SC500 I printed copies of all the associated parts explosions of the
engine internals. Then I made index cards and matched the pages with the cards, wrote
the ID numbers of the parts on the page on the cards and put those parts into bags
with the cards. I got a tip from someone else after all of this to put a tie wrap around
sets of washers/cogs/etc with them stacked in the proper order too (something I did
not do but it would have helped). Just a suggestion for next time.

Good Luck with your replit and parts investigation efforts!

I do not see the washer on the CR125 crankshaft page but on older yamaha's there
is a shim on one side of the crankshaft. Does honda put these together with custom
one-off shims too?

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 07:11:21 AM »
Missing the key would not prevent it from turning but WILL keep it from running. I think it likely that your hard clutch pull is associated with the "problem" and I also predict that the washer is not the binding issue (but needs to find its home nevertheless).  Of course I have been known to be wrong before. Many times.  Oh, and your strategy of getting the right tools is spot on. Makes the job much easier.

This is a puzzle. Have fun with it! You will get it. And re-using your new gaskets should be fine if they don't tear on dissassembly.

Effffffffffer...one thing I can already see I forgot/probly lost....the key in the flywheel shaft.  Would that cause the "locking" up problem?  Do I still get this souvenir washer? Looking further...

Offline wikid

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 01:33:23 PM »
Missing the key would not prevent it from turning but WILL keep it from running. I think it likely that your hard clutch pull is associated with the "problem" and I also predict that the washer is not the binding issue (but needs to find its home nevertheless).  

Effffffffffer...one thing I can already see I forgot/probly lost....the key in the flywheel shaft.  Would that cause the "locking" up problem?  Do I still get this souvenir washer? Looking further...

Yea I said the flywheel backplate type thing bent when the flywheel "spun off".   "Insert Quote
Ok, the clutch pull is from the key not being on the flywheel shaft and it bent the "prong" of the piece that holds the flywheel backing to the motor but also holds the clutch actuator in.  It bent off its bottom pin where it sits and allows the clutch actuator to come out farther, so I gotta either bend that back and get a new one"

I hope now that I didnt damage the flywheel, it seems to be the "stuck" part. and I cant tell but I bet its not on so straight anymore.  May be even hard to get off being on tittywompiss now!

No one knows where the one washer goes when you pull off the left side cover?  I have a good guess, but it's just that.  No washers on the microfiche...wtfffffreeeak