Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: blew it up again, no good!  (Read 12423 times)

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Re: blew it up again, no good!
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »
Maybe he's not, but maybe his dad is? At this point there are 3 possibilities:
1. He truly blew up the bike, but not from the reeds breaking.
2. The mechanic is screwing him over.
3. His dad is trying to convince him  to move on to 4 strokes.
 ???
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:27:58 PM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 10:14:01 PM »
It's a game of clue. Someone is framing the reeds. It's up to us to find out who the real culprit is.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2011, 12:43:46 AM »
Have broken reed petals while the engine is turning over at 12,500 rpm, back of the piston munches the reed to carbon powder and disappears out the exhaust. But for the missing reed you will never know.
Maxima 927 is good oil , no problems with that.On a hard ridden 125  25:1 would be the very minimum of oil I would run. Remember "Nobody killed a 2 stroke with too much oil" (sic 'Spanky') 
I see this as a straight mantenance issue, a 125 will usualy need 2 rings to every piston and a new piston would be needed after 15-20 hours on a track as a general rule.If your lifting the top end after season end your asking for trouble.
I would seek a reputable tuner rather than the one your persisting with.
Cranks and big end bearing failures are caused soley by the lack of lubrication.
Learn how to do a plug chop and how to read a plug(you will find you don need your 'tuner' then)
As mentioned cylinders can be replated for about $200 +piston no need to buy a new cylinder.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2011, 01:16:35 AM »
it happened to his 250, not his 125...

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2011, 01:37:44 AM »
Remember "Nobody killed a 2 stroke with too much oil"

I get your point and I am not flaming you but actually, too much oil in the fuel causes a lean situation and generates heat in a 2 stroke.

You may also want to check your intake manifold real good. Maybe the carb was not put on correctly and well seated or the manifold is cracked? That would cause it to lean out as well and might even generate the sucking noise that you heard.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2011, 05:00:29 AM »
Yes, if you add more oil it will run leaner, so you jet accordingly - hence the talk of checking the jetting with a plug chop etc.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2011, 05:14:24 AM »

I get your point and I am not flaming you but actually, too much oil in the fuel causes a lean situation and generates heat in a 2 stroke.

You may also want to check your intake manifold real good. Maybe the carb was not put on correctly and well seated or the manifold is cracked? That would cause it to lean out as well and might even generate the sucking noise that you heard.

Ah well 250 my mistake.

At 50:1 your running 2% oil and 25:1 4% oil how many engines are jetted within 2% of a seizure? To little fuel causes seizure faster than anything, without oil a engine will go for half a lap.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 01:26:55 PM »
Well, any updates?

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »

The lean situation you talk about is still a jetting issue, as always.
Jet to suit the mix.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:52:11 PM by TotalNZ »

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 10:32:33 PM »
Too Lean, chamfer cylinder wrong, for replating  I would only use Milenium technologys , I used another plater and it costed me a riding season. A  1,000 bucks on a engine is a bummer, but it,s 25-28,000 for engine rebuild on a big truck engine. :o

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »
You can send your motor to Eric Gorr and they will diagnose the problem and recommend changes
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:54:57 AM by luthier269 »
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline Mountain Goat

• Braap! Braap! Braaaaaap!
  • Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2011, 09:11:43 PM »
Looks like Gorr will save you money:

http://www.eric-gorr.com/cylinder%20repairs.html
We offer 4 types of repairs;

1)     Honing of plated cylinders to clean-up minor seizures $20
2)   Boring and honing to the next oversized piston for cast-iron sleeved cylinders $50
3)   Replating with nickel silicon-carbide composite plating to stock size and up to 2mm oversize $250

[snip]

FAQs on 2-Stroke Cylinder Repairs

If the piston breaks can I just powerwash the crankcase and change the oil to get out the broken pieces?
The crankcase on 2-stroke engines is sealed so draining the transmission oil won't help. Most likely the metal particles will contaminate the bottom end to the extreme that you'll need to rebuild the bottom end with a new crankshaft, bearings, and seals. We offer that service and it averages $500 parts and labor. Additionally you'll need to powerwash the exhaust pipe (not silencer) because metal may be trapped in there and re-enter the cylinder once you restart the freshly rebuilt engine.

If I send my old piston with the cylinder can you tell me what the original failure was caused from and recommend repairs to keep it from happening again?
Yes, we recommend that you send any and all damaged parts, especially if you've had repeated failures. Also you should check out the tech article (PDF format) from Eric's book titled Piston Diagnostic Guide (on our home page). We'll diagnose your mechanical problem and recommend action solutions.
1997 RM250
2008 RM250
2008 KTM Super Duke R

Offline smoke229

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 04:49:28 PM »
Guys, on the first page he says his mechanic found dirt - right there is the start of the problem. Take any newer 2 stroke (or 4 stroke if your really brave) and throw some dirt down the intake and see how it works out for you!! You can say he needs to run X brand of oil or Y jetting with Z fuel , add some dirt and nothing matters LOL.....
2nd if your bike is trying to sieze, bog, and sounding wierd - quit riding it until you can properly investigate the problem