Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: blew it up again, no good!  (Read 12415 times)

Offline MCGRIDDLE_321

• Expert
    • View Profile
blew it up again, no good!
« on: May 23, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
well this saturday i destroyed a motor for the 3rd time in 2 years.  :'( as much as i love 2 strokes everytime it blows up it costs 1000 to rebuild it. thats not that much less then a 4stroke.

for some reason it always destroys the cylinder.
Josh
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:58:05 AM by MCGRIDDLE_321 »

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: blew it up again, no good!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »
if your blowing up a two stroke motor that fast, there's no doubt you'd do the same to a valve muncher. And 1000 is a third of a cost if you blew a thumper up

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 02:36:26 PM »
Are you doing the work yourself? I would consider getting the cylinders repaired and replated for much less than an OEM replacement cylinder.

But I can guarantee a 4T will be much more costly if you frag it.

But I have to wonder why you are having so many severe failures. Something is off; jetting, air filter maintenance, incorrect pre-mix, something. I know a lot of people that race two strokes, fast guys, and they do not have catastrophic failures like you are having.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 02:58:43 PM »
I second what Coop said, You are doing something wrong, I don't know what, but something is wrong.
Replate the cylinder you have, as a matter of fact if you have replaced the cylinder everytime and still have the damaged ones, have them replated as well. It will cost less than buying a new one. then get two piston kits with gaskets and change the top end out every 40-50 hrs.
use a quality premix at 32:1 if your on anything smaller than a 250.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline MCGRIDDLE_321

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
Are you doing the work yourself? I would consider getting the cylinders repaired and replated for much less than an OEM replacement cylinder.

But I can guarantee a 4T will be much more costly if you frag it.

But I have to wonder why you are having so many severe failures. Something is off; jetting, air filter maintenance, incorrect pre-mix, something. I know a lot of people that race two strokes, fast guys, and they do not have catastrophic failures like you are having.

and when i said its not that much less then a 4stroke i ment over time, ive gottin 2 years out of a 250f, and it cost us 2500 to replace almost everything when the crank went out. i love 2strokes, i will always have one and race one. im just confused on whats going on.
-jetting is good, runs fine
-change airfilter after every ride, sometime mid day on super sandy/dusty tracks.
- trick 114 with 927 premix, at 44:1 sometimes 50:1

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 04:31:04 PM »
http://twostrokemotocross.com/forum/index.php?topic=2065.0

I see that you race a lot, so what do you do for maintenance? Tranny fluid, air filter, Compression checks, etc.. And what exactly failed on the motor to cause a melt down similar to the japanese nuclear power plants?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:45:13 PM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline MCGRIDDLE_321

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »
well me and my dad usually do all the bike work during the week. we usually change oil ever 2 to 3 rides airfilter all the usual bike work, since its 4 days before the loretta lynn qualifier we took it to my engine builder to have him go through it. he said he found some dirt, which broke the reeds, and then the reeds got sucked into the cylinder and bottom end. so all in all it was a snow ball effect. its ok. i talked to my mom, we are either buying a 2011 250sx, which there is only one in washington, or we might get a 2011 250f so i can ride the national if i get my pro points in time, and fix the 250 2stroke to race and practice on.

Offline xandyx

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:48:46 PM »
if you're getting a new bike and rebuild your old one, don't go for the 250f.

it will make more sense practice and racing both 2 strokes.

Offline MCGRIDDLE_321

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »
yeah we will see.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »
So broken reeds caused $1000 worth of damage  :o I find that hard to believe. If what your saying is true, Everyone should watch out, they might drop a reed and destroy the motor...lol

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline dk

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »
well me and my dad usually do all the bike work during the week. we usually change oil ever 2 to 3 rides airfilter all the usual bike work, since its 4 days before the loretta lynn qualifier we took it to my engine builder to have him go through it. he said he found some dirt, which broke the reeds, and then the reeds got sucked into the cylinder and bottom end. so all in all it was a snow ball effect. its ok. i talked to my mom, we are either buying a 2011 250sx, which there is only one in washington, or we might get a 2011 250f so i can ride the national if i get my pro points in time, and fix the 250 2stroke to race and practice on.

I am just a beginner/novice (motocross) and I change my oil every 2 to 3 rides.  Wouldnt you need to change your oil after every practice at your pace?

Offline MCGRIDDLE_321

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
1000 dollars... its about 700 bucks to get a cylinder and piston, thats with my discount from ktm munn racing. we might still have to replace the crank. not sure yet.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »
That's weird. You probably just ride a lot, that's why you're going through your motor so fast. Most of us ride 1/3 of how much you do. But still that's pretty quick to go through an entire motor. Anyways I would suggest rebuilding your katoom and waiting for the 2012 250sx.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline IllusionGrafix

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 08:01:43 PM »
Josh, I change my oil every ride and I am doing top ends at no more than 10 hours on my 250. I had the reeds break in mine as well and it didnt destroy the motor. I have blown up my share of 2-stroke though. It just happens, and after a couple times its just time to start with a fresh bike. If I grenade a bike I rebuild it and sell it cuz once it goes once its gonna go again!

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 04:31:21 AM »
I am pretty sure that when I was racing 85's an 125's we were changing rings every 3 races an piston every 6 races. Each race day was around an hour of riding. We ran premix at 36:1. When we started that schedule we stopped blowing bikes. Mind you bikes were never more than a couple years old and from memory I don't think we ever blew up a 125. There were some 60's and 85's that were blown up working out what worked tho