Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Back to stock  (Read 4168 times)

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
    • View Profile
Back to stock
« on: March 11, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »
Getting to be that time to get the old girl back into shape. Here recently I've been mulling over my pipe selection. Currently I'm running an SST but it does have a few good dents in it. My issue with the SST is that it hits really hard and really quick.  I'm seriously thinking about going back to a stock pipe mated up to my Turbine Core II silencer.  I don't what you call rip around a track no more and really want to smooth out the power delivery as much as possible.  I guess the Fatty would do that but like most things you research online no two opinions or suggestions are the same. So I bring this qestion here to the guys I can trust to shoot it straight.

What do ya'll think?
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of the Way

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Back to stock
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:14:40 PM »
What kind of bike?

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 06:03:56 AM »
Gnarly
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:08:52 AM »

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 06:10:54 AM »
Gnarly :D
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:19:58 AM »
Gnarly

Thanks Myck.  So the Gnarly will smooth  it out?  I'm not looking to lug it around like a tractor but I don't need that holy crap feeling when I'm turning I'm turning into a jump face either. I'm only as fast as I thought I was once.    :D

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 01:21:33 PM »
dirt rider did a test in 03 with all the major brands of pipes for all the 2 strokes. i know its the year after yours but should give you an idea. from what i have heard and from people running them, the fatty is fairly similar to the stock pipe with small gains in spots depending on the bike. if you still have the stocko i would run that until you wreck it and then look at the fatty

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »
dirt rider did a test in 03 with all the major brands of pipes for all the 2 strokes. i know its the year after yours but should give you an idea. from what i have heard and from people running them, the fatty is fairly similar to the stock pipe with small gains in spots depending on the bike. if you still have the stocko i would run that until you wreck it and then look at the fatty

Appreciate it chump. Yeah I'm running an SST right now and don't have the stock pipe.  The price between the gnarly, fatty, and stock are pretty similiar so I guess I've some deciding to do.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 06:07:44 AM »
You could always try a flywheel weight to minimize that violent hit. cheaper than a new pipe anyway  :) .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 06:16:39 AM »
The gnarly can be tractored, but is also effective throughout the entire RPM range, I also have a 11oz flywheel weight.
I have the Fatty on my YZ250, it provides better power than stock everywhere
the gnarly is also made of thicker steel than the fatty so it is tough
I hit a tree a couple of weeks ago, broke one of my left toes, there is tree sap on the pipe but no dent. I thought for sure my new pipe was gonna be toast.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 06:20:06 AM »
I used to have a 99 KX 250 and I put an 11oz flywheel weight on it.  Its a suttle change, it just tames the violent "hit"  At 1st I didn't think it really made much of a difference, but it really does work.  Its really an inexpensive way to make the bike more controllable.  I was so impressed with it, I let my son ride it to see if he liked the difference...  I never got the bike back...  :'(  He said the YZ125 was now mine, as he was keeping the KX.  So I sold the YZ and bought a 300...   :D
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 08:05:03 AM »
So what I'm getting is prety much any of the pipes mentioned with a flywheel weight will do the trick.   My current pipe has a sizeable dent in it so I was in the market for a new one anyway.  Just wanted to make the right choice for my riding style or lack there of.  :P

A Gnarly with a flywheel weight sounds pretty damn good to me.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »
I haven't run the Gnarly without the flywheel weight so I don't how it does without it, but it's a tough SOB.

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 08:56:39 AM »
I haven't run the Gnarly without the flywheel weight so I don't how it does without it, but it's a tough SOB.

Understood.  I think the combination of the two will do the trick nicely.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 05:07:00 AM »
Seriously, my bike has the bottom end grunt comparable to a 400cc 4st, but once it gets wound up, it's all 250 2st, there's no violent hit, the power just rolls on.