Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Hello all, new here!  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Sideways17

• Novice
    • View Profile
Hello all, new here!
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »
Hello ladies and gents,
i found this forum today and have been reading the posts here. Seems like my kind of people! I have a 2003 RM250. I recently thought about selling it and moving on to a 4t but I cant seem to buy a bike that I cant do a topend on. The RM is, however, getting a little old and it has its problems (I asked in the tech section today on what someone thought might be the issue) so Im still thinking about getting a new bike. Ive heard the 2005-2008 RM's are better than the 03 version I have and Ive also read alot of good things about the YZ. Im not sure...

Im currently healing from surgery I had 2 weeks ago. Last June I highsided and crushed my left collarbone. 6 months went by, it never healed so the Dr. went in a plated it with 9 screws total! Ive been spending my off time researching bike, reading everything I can about suspension setup and trying to figure out what bike to buy next!

Glad I found this site!

Here is my RM:

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Hello all, new here!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »
Welcome aboard sideways.

Nice looking RM. Sorry about the clavicle, Mine is a mess as well.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:24:23 PM »
Welcome to the site Sideways!
I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions on bikes here. :)
Clean Suzuki!  ;D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 06:47:53 PM »
Welcome.
If you like RM's stick with them.
Great cornering bike's. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline rookie

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
welcome my fren.

:D

Offline Sideways17

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »
Welcome.
If you like RM's stick with them.
Great cornering bike's. ;D
[/quote

Thanks! I've been doing some reading, the 2006 RM250 sounds like its the best RM that was released. Is the 06 the same bike as the 07 and 08?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:30:38 PM »
I think the 06/07/08 are all the same.
Sure someone here can confirm.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »
Off the top of my head I think Suzuki made some slight porting changes to soften the hard low end hit in the 07-08 models.  Not sure on that though.

Welcome to the forum, nice RM!  :)
"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 09:10:46 PM »
Welcome to the site!
Sick bike!
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 04:42:15 AM »
Welcome, nice bike!
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 05:24:26 AM »
Welcome, sorry about the crash. I don't know why you would want anything else other than an RM250. They have the best suspension, cornering, and IMO look better than the YZ (although the front fender could go down a little farther in the front - nitpicky though). Depending on your weight, you might think about a KTM 150.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 05:44:29 AM »
Welcome to the site sideways, that's a nice bike, Honestly the newer models aren't a whole lot better than what you have now, just minor changes here and there. If it were me I'd hang onto it, keep up the maitinance, and add some mods here and there like suspension valving, and springs for your weight, ceramic bearings in the lowerend and trans, triple trees, billet junk, folding levers, etc. The RMs of that family from, I think 01 and up, are all great bikes, some of the stock components were kinda chinsey, but that was due to Suzuki realizing that most of those parts would be replaced w/ cool aftermarket stuff anyway. I'll go look at your other thread and see if I can help you out.
See ya round
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Sideways17

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 07:31:17 AM »
Welcome to the site sideways, that's a nice bike, Honestly the newer models aren't a whole lot better than what you have now, just minor changes here and there. If it were me I'd hang onto it, keep up the maitinance, and add some mods here and there like suspension valving, and springs for your weight, ceramic bearings in the lowerend and trans, triple trees, billet junk, folding levers, etc. The RMs of that family from, I think 01 and up, are all great bikes, some of the stock components were kinda chinsey, but that was due to Suzuki realizing that most of those parts would be replaced w/ cool aftermarket stuff anyway. I'll go look at your other thread and see if I can help you out.
See ya round

Wow! Thanks man! I really do like my bike. I have the suspension valved and sprung for my weight already. I got that done last winter and it really was a great investment. My bike has vforce reeds and the pro circuit pipe and R304 silencer combo. I think I may just do that man, keep it. I have to be honest with myself, I really won't be able to ride a lot.

I need to find some comfortable bars. I've never had good luck picking bars. My Team suzuki/mike alessi bars were close but they had too much sweep...and they were destroyed in my crash. I'm gonna try the Windham bars this summer. I also want some really nice levers and perches. Thanks for the help!

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »
Howdy Sides! Welcome here.
Nice RM250. I would say from 2004 onwards, all RM250's are good.
Some small changes to the brake(hose), porting, and some different needles, and graphics,
they're the same. If you put RM-Z plastics on, it looks like a 2010 RM250.
But if you concider another Japanese 250, i'd say the YZ250 is pretty bulletproof from 2007
onwards. Specially with the SSS suspension. But it's all up to you.
If you take the bugs out of your RM, and mod it a bit, it's all very close in terms of pure fun!

Offline Sideways17

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »
Howdy Sides! Welcome here.
Nice RM250. I would say from 2004 onwards, all RM250's are good.
Some small changes to the brake(hose), porting, and some different needles, and graphics,
they're the same. If you put RM-Z plastics on, it looks like a 2010 RM250.
But if you concider another Japanese 250, i'd say the YZ250 is pretty bulletproof from 2007
onwards. Specially with the SSS suspension. But it's all up to you.
If you take the bugs out of your RM, and mod it a bit, it's all very close in terms of pure fun!

RMZ plastics will fit on my 03 or are you saying the 04 and up? I think a port job on my bike would be cool, although it already is pretty damn snappy! It blows my buddys CR out of the water, when it comes to the powerband. That CR is kinda boring...