Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A New 2stroke Design?  (Read 6354 times)

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
A New 2stroke Design?
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
Not sure about applications for a dirtbike, but this is an interesting looking 2stroke design. --->

http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Opposed-Piston-Opposed-Cylinder

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: A New 2stroke Design?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »
He sounds like Dr. Frankenstein..
But if he creates evil 2 Stroke monsters, he has my blessing.  :)

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:04:49 PM »
Like so many things with regards to engineering, this is a modern application of an old idea.

That's not a criticism, just how it is. Do some research into the incredible amount of fantastic ideas that have been tried, but abandoned because of materials technology, low tech available when the design is first tried, and you will be amazed at what has been already thought of.

I think, that this opposed piston engine is reminiscent of a Junkers aircraft engine. It's Very Clever design, that has been vastly improved on.

I also think, that Bill Gates has backed this, contributing a fair few million to it's further development. But I might have it mixed up with another project?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »
I've heard some whisperings floating around about this engine, I definitely recognized the layout.

Speaking of interesting engine ideas, has anyone heard of the "Doyle Rotary" engine?  Apparently some dude's been working on it in the garage for some obscene amount of time, but hasn't yet made a prototype that works for all that long (which I imagine is common with garage engineering projects.)  I just stumbled upon it one day whilst looking for cool shit on YouTube.
Doyle Cycle Demonstration

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 06:25:07 AM »
Now here's a concept I don't think the US government has ever considered.
Efficiency WTF!!!???
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
So each piston has to pass just one spot to fire?If so,no power,poor efficiency,and shake your fillings out-unless there's something I'm missing there.  ???
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:27:54 PM »
The commentator was speaking of a thermal efficiency of 40% ,which ,if true exceeds Diesels (typically 30%) and double that of your typical Otto cycle 4T.

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
Ya, I'm not seeing it either but maybe I'm not so smart as himself. ;D
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 03:59:52 AM »
The commentator was speaking of a thermal efficiency of 40% ,which ,if true exceeds Diesels (typically 30%) and double that of your typical Otto cycle 4T.

There was a commentator?I guess I had the speakers turned off-lol.Oh well,I still don't see it.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »
Like so many things with regards to engineering, this is a modern application of an old idea.

That's not a criticism, just how it is. Do some research into the incredible amount of fantastic ideas that have been tried, but abandoned because of materials technology, low tech available when the design is first tried, and you will be amazed at what has been already thought of.

I think, that this opposed piston engine is reminiscent of a Junkers aircraft engine. It's Very Clever design, that has been vastly improved on.

I also think, that Bill Gates has backed this, contributing a fair few million to it's further development. But I might have it mixed up with another project?
That is correct info bearorso about Bill Gates investing a few million in this project.There's also another billionare that has also invested a very large sum of money into this project along with Bill Gates but I can't remember his name right now.I recently tried to look up Eco Motors stocks but I don't know what their stock symbol is? However with Bill Gates investing in this project it will more than likely do GREAT so I may want to invest in Eco Motors in the near future.

Offline pushdogg

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 09:58:41 PM »
I'm willing to play devils advocate here and say......are we re-inventing the wheel here?......along with previous posts......you would be surprised what people have come up with and others have shelved because of technological deficiencies. I'm thinking about what other undiscovered tech we have yet to re-stumble upon.
98 rm125
89 yz490(work in progress)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 10:26:01 PM »
I agree with you pushdogg.
There has not been many breakthrough's in the last 20 years in engine design.
Most of the "new" inventions are 50-100 years old.
What did not work 50 years ago now do through improvements in metallurgy and production techniques.
That is why large companies spend a fortune on going through old patent's to find their "new" discovery.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 08:33:50 AM »
I agree with you pushdogg.
There has not been many breakthrough's in the last 20 years in engine design.
Most of the "new" inventions are 50-100 years old.
What did not work 50 years ago now do through improvements in metallurgy and production techniques.
That is why large companies spend a fortune on going through old patent's to find their "new" discovery.

Lotus Omnivore?

I'm sure this is probably a re-post, but.....

Lotus Omnivore Concept Engine

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »
Navistar (International) is developing a twin opposed piston 2 cycle diesel powerplant (Junkers design) for use in light commercial trucks.The motor is producing over 200 hp at an engine weight of 298 lbs. with a thermal efficiency superior to a conventional diesel. ;D

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 12:26:58 PM »
An International 2T!?  Sweet!  Will that mean they're bringing back the big ol' X-71 blowers again?!  :D  ;)
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R