Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Scariest bikes you've ever ridden.  (Read 18899 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Scariest bikes you've ever ridden.
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2011, 03:41:28 PM »
As for me the scariest bike I've ever ridden was an old XL250 and yes,I am serious. :(

Why ? Were you 5 ?  ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Widow Maker

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »
I like that CR WidowMaker.Can I have it? :D
As for me the scariest bike I've ever ridden was an old XL250 and yes,I am serious. :(

Thank you! I installed the correct blue fork boots this past weekend. A few more small items to go and the restoration is done. Only problem is it's too nice to ride now! :D

1986 Honda CR500R
1997 Honda CR500R - Street Legal Motard
2006 Yamaha YZ85 - Backyard Playbike

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2011, 04:15:54 AM »
I like that CR WidowMaker.Can I have it? :D

Thank you! I installed the correct blue fork boots this past weekend. A few more small items to go and the restoration is done. Only problem is it's too nice to ride now! :D

Very nice.Send it up here and I'll install it in the living room.I'm sure the old woman wouldn't mind  :-\
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 04:19:08 AM »

Why ? Were you 5 ?  ;)

Lol,no,actually about 30.There's a story behind it but I'll have to get to it later-on the way to a funeral now.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2011, 06:16:50 AM »
250cc bike, with a turbo the size of a watermelon.  That'd do it.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2011, 08:46:59 AM »
300lb XL250 and no suspension/wet brakes - massive downhill. :o :o

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2011, 11:29:07 AM »
Lol,no,actually about 30.There's a story behind it but I'll have to get to it later-on the way to a funeral now.

Thats what i thought. Do tell
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »
Lol,sort of-but worse.It's a bit long winded and I just got home so I'll post it up tomorrow.

Offline sinned

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2011, 09:29:27 PM »
 :o scariest bike i ever rode was a RZ500 v4 smoker, that bike was insane and i was young and real stupid when i rode it. anybody here ever done a 80 + mph wheelie before, mine wasn't on purpose and i thought i was gonna meet my maker... :o

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 04:59:50 AM »
Ok,here we go....
Back around my late 20's/early thirties I was still riding street.One day,having thrown the RZ into a ditch,I decided to follow it in and buggered up my back.It was nothing serious but anyone who has ever pulled all the muscles in their back can attest to what it feels like.I could lay down,partially stand up, but sitting was excruciating.
The next day the wife screwed off shopping with one of her hen friends,leaving me laying there staring at the ceiling.Naturally,at this point,a friend calls and asks if I want to go dirt riding.When I explained the situation to him he said-cripes,when did you become such a damn pussy?Naturally,in those days,that was all I needed to hear so I crab walked out to the truck and headed out to his place-sitting sort of sideways in the seat.
Once I got there,he had to help me on the bike-an old xl250(he was riding his TT500)
After I figured out the starting drill(choke part on,half throttle,hold your head just the right way)and tested the controls-good lever pressure and all that-off we went.
We were following an old rail bed and when we got to the first stop where it crossed a road I hit both brakes and had absolutely nothing.Madly gearing down and dragging my feet I cruised across the road and coasted to a stop farther down.Riding up alongside he says-oh yeah,which reminds me,it's got no brakes.
Anyway,once on the bike my back didn't feel too bad(unless I hit bump,then the empty shocks would send a "pleasant" jolt up my spine) so we spent most of the day cruising around.This ride was largely responsible for my transition to dirt a year later.
On the way back,I was cruising along behind him keeping a decent distance when we got to a part of the rail bed that had about a 10' drop on either side.
At this point,his rear wheel locks solid(his swingarm nut had fallen off and the shaft worked it's way out until the whole back end twisted sideways,locking the rear brake) and he starts slewing all over the trail such that I had to guess at which side to go.
 Dragging my feet of course,I motored by on the left just as he slewed to the right.
We eventually got the shaft back in and he held it in with he heel as we headed back to his place.
On the way home,slurping an XL of Tim Horton's finest halved with a bottle of tylenol,the pain was so intense I was absolutely beside myself.
Regardless of this,I was thinking-well,if nothing else,here I was,layed up in bed,and yet still managed to go riding in the dirt with an old clapped out bike with no brakes-my(relatively new to me at the time) wife should be quite impressed with my studliness-you would think that anyway.
Instead, I got home and got out of the truck and stumbled toward the house bent at about a 90 degree angle where she was waiting on the step-no doubt anxious to hear of my manly exploits.
Instead,I got called a moronic,freakin' idiot and was drug down to the bedroom and pitched on the bed face down while she exited slamming the door behind her.
So,my first real dirt ride on a pos bike coupled with the sudden realization that the honeymoon was over makes the scariest bike I'd ever ridden the XL250.Nothing else even comes close. :(
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:03:20 AM by ford832 »

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2011, 06:23:50 AM »
I hate to sound like a powder puff, but my '00 RM250 is probably the scariest bike I've ridden.  Or at least the one that scares me most often.  Power wheelies in any gear would be all the power I need to have fun.

For reference, I used to have a Yamaha R1 sportbike.. 125hp at the wheel, 420lbs wet, yadda yadda.  It didn't have any character.. it was just an appliance.  It was only fun on the track of if you were riding way too fast for the street.

If I think about it, another scary bike that comes to mind - my dads pre-evo Harley Sportster 1000.  It sounds like it's going to grenade at any minute.  One jug is down just in front and below the seat...... so It's a little intimidating.  Wooden brakes - a hinge somewhere in the frame that you feel around corners or over bumps. 3 speed with a tall overdrive 4th.  Yeah, it scares me!  But it's got loads of character.  Cant say that for the R1.
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2011, 03:19:35 AM »
Character is important in a bike.  By the numbers, my 120 is a pretty inferior machine to just about anything you want to compare it to, but it's got so much character that it's more fun to ride than my Husky.  You just expect so little out of it, and then right about the time you feel a wave of torque in second gear, and get an unexpected wheelie from the downright stupid weight balance, you fall in love.  I don't know if anyone else would connect with it the way I do, but it's wonderful.

And, in keeping with the theme of this thread, it can also be a little bit scary because it can put itself into a terrain + speed combination that the structure of the bike simply can't take.  We're all used to bikes that you can ride as fast as you possibly dare, and so long as you don't crash, they're good to go faster.  Anything with long-travel suspension will basically do that.  Not this one.  Take the 120 at maximum attack mode over something scarier than a dirt road, and there's a good chance something's going to disintegrate - probably the poor shocks.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »
Ford I'm beginning to think you were forced into marriage.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline RedFoxCR

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
Definitely, CZ 500, an old Chezh dirtbike. With a bore of 500 cc and the torque enough for a small truck, it can squeeze some shit outta anyone. Maybe, i didn't have enough balls, of course...
So, i first rode it in winter 2011 in our bike club. It had metal spikes and was heavy as hell... But it started at once! (After my 1999 cr 250 with HUGE compression, i can start anything)
When a fellow said it's actually faster than Vasylich's XR 650 R i just laughed. But when i rode it all across small streets of the city (in winter!) and returned about to shit my pants, my opinion slightly changed.
The second attempt was in a muddy, snowy road, the spring had just started... Guys said me - go and check that road... I rushed from the start, and after riding about 150m, on the very first, wet, icy turn i crashed it on the side and broke the shifter... :((
Pity.
Neytiri:Now you choose your CR 500R. This you must
feel - inside.If he also chooses you,move quick, like I showed.You will have one chance, Jake.
Jake:How will I know if he chooses me?
Neytiri:He will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding.

Offline RedFoxCR

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »

[/quote]

Amazing baby! That is the best bike ever (along with R1)
Neytiri:Now you choose your CR 500R. This you must
feel - inside.If he also chooses you,move quick, like I showed.You will have one chance, Jake.
Jake:How will I know if he chooses me?
Neytiri:He will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding.