Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Boyesen engine  (Read 11590 times)

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
Boyesen engine
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:28:59 PM »
http://www.maxsled.com/absolutenm/templates/articles_layout.aspx?articleid=1059&zoneid=17

A KX250 engine with a exhaust valve driven off of the crank. Know it only needs semi-direct injection!!

Recovered

Re: Boyesen engine
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 08:56:21 PM »
That's a cool design. Fairly uncomplicated. I've spent some time on the phone with Mr. Boyesen. He is not only a class act, he is very, very intellegent. He has an incredible understanding of 2T function, as well as 4T. If he designs something, it is usually worthwhile.

I hope he keeps it up.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 08:18:55 PM »
I'm very intrigued.  While I love the idea of direct-injection coming in and saving the 2T from the grips of environmental hysteria, I am really reluctant to have a computer determining whether my bike is going to run or not in the middle of the desert.  Who knows what sort of voodoo crap might happen in three years of down-time that might render the bike useless?  Computers components tend to be on the sensitive side, and sitting in a 19 degree garage for months on end can't be good for it.  And what's going to happen 20 years from now when I need it replaced?  Who's going to provide gadgetry?  Parts are simple enough, but that might just be asking too much.  And there's no damn way I'd be able to fix it with a tool kit in my backpack.

I like Boyesen's thinking.  Keeping the snowmobile and dirt-bike 2T engine purely mechanical is something I support 100%!

Hey Mad, you should do some of your string pullin' and get Mr. Boyesen to do a guest editorial for 2TMX!

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:38:10 AM »
The technology is here guys...The problems is that the manufacturers/AMA want you to buy a 4 stroke!
Ski-Doo Rotax Challenge - Chapter 2: Cold Start Challenge

watch all the episodes!

Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 02:20:24 AM »
That's a direct-injection engine.  It's a very good technology that I think has great promise, but I like the idea of solving the problem mechanically rather than using a computer-controlled injector.  Both solutions are great!  I can't stress enough how much I am in favor of the E-Tec technology, but I prefer the Boyesen solution.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »
That is cool. But how adaptable is the technology to a competitive dirtbike? A snowmobile can wiegh 30-40 more pounds and it's not too much of a factor. Plus, they have the room to hang computers etc. I too, am not looking forward to computer controlled anything for off road. Or catalyzed exhaust. It's already here on 4T's. Next up...emissions testing. That pisses me off for more reasons that I care to name here.

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 08:46:20 PM »
Engine Management (computers) have come a long way in the last 20-30 years. Plus they are a lot easier to tune than the old days of MS-DOS and Hex numbers, now its all graphical interface which is a hell of a lot easier to tune. But I'm still stuck between wanting to tune carbs or a efi controller. :(

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 08:55:30 PM »
I'm more concerned with reliability.  I don't want my dirt-bike, which is going to be taking heavy shocks and impacts for long periods of time, to be dependent on circuitry the size of a red blood cell.  If I can destroy a piece of equipment in my computer by poking it with my finger, I'm going to be damn scared when a similar piece is installed on my bike, and I fall down on a trail.

That's not to say it won't work fine.  Indeed, I've bought a totally digital helmet camera without hesitation, but I still have a natural preference for mechanical, rather than electrical, solutions.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »
Then you can put this carb on it :  http://www.cpcracing.com/site/256083/page/190735
$550 is a lot of cash though.

Recovered

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »
Then you can put this carb on it :  http://www.cpcracing.com/site/256083/page/190735
$550 is a lot of cash though.

First I have seen of this carb and I need to spend some time on their site but this is what I am talking about, except that looked like a 4 circuit carb! Which would be even better, but again, I need to spend some time on that site. The carb I use is a PSI "Big Air" carb. You can goole it. It's more money than the one you have listed but it WORKS,  it can be tuned in less than 30 minutes and tuned up in less than 2 minutes.

I'll write more on it later.

Recovered

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 09:50:08 PM »
After a REALLY quick look...it appears to be adjustable EXTERNALLY, but has JETS. The "Big Air" carbs have no jets. That is a giant plus.

I'll read more later.

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
PSI "Big Air" carb.
I knew I heard of that carb before, but I wasn't sure if it was on this forum or not. But I did find were I did hear about it.
http://www.ekartingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=306232&sid=bfd9b7f2322c968affad7b55909238cd
On the karting forum of all places!! :)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 05:47:55 AM »
Very interesting carburetors! I want to know more...

Mad, you put a Harley Carb on your bike??? How does it work?

The CPC carb looks very cool as well. Do you know if either of these are legal in AMA Pro Motocross??
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Recovered

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 06:43:19 AM »
Both are AMA legal. They make non-Harley carbs. I'll find the link. The Harley carbs are fairly new. He has made good money replacing the OEM junk on the H-D with his carb. I'll write more later on the 3 circuit carb (prolly later tonight) as I'm preparing for a travel day today and it freaking snowed so now the Mrs. is in a panic (she has some "problems" with the way I drive!!!!! :o).

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 07:23:03 AM »
Per your driving in snow, just show the Mrs. this video... she'll then think you are the best driver ever!

Wreckless Snow Driving
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!