Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Boyesen engine  (Read 11588 times)

Recovered

Re: Boyesen engine
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 07:41:23 AM »
The above video explains why Mrs. Mad Scientist does does not to ride with me in the snow. That, and I become somewhat verbal towards other drives who are driving 11 mph on flat ground, whilst their chains are beating the body off of their cars. I call them MORONS >:( ::) ;)

Offline Helmut Clasen

• Intermediate
  • Helmut Clasen
    • View Profile
    • 50 years of 2 wheel sporting
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 01:51:40 PM »
Then you can put this carb on it :  http://www.cpcracing.com/site/256083/page/190735
$550 is a lot of cash though.

I would say that this is a very close copy of this:

3xSACHS MC-GS 250 1977
1xHercules GS 250  1976
1xHercules GS 350  1976
1xCan-Am 175 TNT 1975
1xZuendapp GS 125 19072-73
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy

Offline Helmut Clasen

• Intermediate
  • Helmut Clasen
    • View Profile
    • 50 years of 2 wheel sporting
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »
Lectron is the older company and the carbs cost less.

In January 1977 at the Toronto MC show,I had my stand right beside the LECTRON stand.
The rep for Lectron at that time was Kenny Roberts.We where sitting for 4 days together and he explaint to me the function of this unic carb.I did know about the carb because John Penton offered with his Penton bikes the stock BING or the Optional Lectron carb.But had no expirence with them.All I did know was that the standard BINGS on all our Zuendapps-Hercules-DKW-Maicos-Pentons,would only work when brand new,but had to be adjustet when a HORSE nearby farted.
On the end of the show,I handed Kenny a check for 10.000 Cad $ and he made me the very first importer distributor for Lectron.
And he gave me the CUTAWAY Lectron carb he had at the show.
I still have that carb in my office. ;D

3xSACHS MC-GS 250 1977
1xHercules GS 250  1976
1xHercules GS 350  1976
1xCan-Am 175 TNT 1975
1xZuendapp GS 125 19072-73
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 12:04:05 AM »
And he gave me the CUTAWAY Lectron carb he had at the show.
I still have that carb in my office. ;D

Now that IS a very cool story!

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 03:38:32 AM »
Does anyone know if the Boyesen system is any different to Honda's  AR system? I've checked, as much as I can, and can't find much on the Boyesen to separate it from Honda's Trapping valve set up they used on the EXP400 and the CRM250ARs that where sold, I think as late as 2000/01/02?

Yes, Honda used a partial 'diesel' system, with a combination of spark ignition & diesel/compression ignition ( I can't recall the order,low revs/ high revs, but understand that this can be applied either way), and I've seen no mention of this being used in the Boyesen engine, and, of course, the external nature of the trapping valve drive system is a result of it being an add on to an existing engine.

Is it fundamentally different to the Honda AR system?(of course it is, if its not using AR combustion - I'm really referring to the Trapping Valve concept) Have the Honda patents expired, and Boyesen have just taken up an engineering solution that has been left languishing?. Something tells me Eyvind Boyesen would perhaps be doing more than just refining the Trapping Valve, but I guess that's basically what he did with the reed valve, and the royalties paid by the factories that used the dual stage reeds certainly were well deserved - maybe, he's doing the same thing again, improving on the Trapping Valve and patenting those improvements?

When you see the variety of options available to the furthering of 2t development, be it DFI, EFI, AR, Trapping Valves, AST, FAST and the various combinations of these technologies ( and others ), it makes you wonder why these solutions haven't swept 4ts aside. It's sad & infuriating.

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 11:38:22 AM »
Hey bearorso, there aren't many articles or pics of the boyesen engine out there. I don't know if there even done R&D or quit totally. The engine does look promising against say DI which is a new concept to motorcycles.

Honda's ARC has a (what you could say "big ass powervalve") that is controlled by an electronic stepper motor to move the valve to a precise degree in milliseconds. Now the Boyesen engine has a somewhat similar concept except the valve is a bit different and it is controlled off what we call the flywheel side via a cam system. They run a cam system because it is a timing system (look at the cam(s) on four
strokes) and can move the valve in relation to the crankshaft.

So, actually both systems are different from each other but with the same concept with the power valve. The ARC is just controlled by electronics, which can control when it wants to fire the engine with the spark plug or through compression. It's a fairly complex system, but it does work.