Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Scariest bikes you've ever ridden.  (Read 18939 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Scariest bikes you've ever ridden.
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 04:51:58 PM »
2008 crf250r was the first four stroke i rode, and that thing scared me becuase you never know when that thing will blow up.  When hit the jumps all i could think about is that thing exploding and me ending up in a wheel chair.

NICE  ;D ;D ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 06:58:54 PM »
I bought an 85 CR500 from a local pro who ported it himself in his garage. Holy $h1t. Super fast and kind of unridable. There was a sandy pit riding area that had a deep inverted cone of a hole that guys on 250's were spinning and crawling their way up. I could jump about 20' coming out. The guy I bought it from could have gone much higher. Finding traction is where the problems started. Scary-Yes, fun-YES.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 07:30:22 PM »
Scariest bike, or scariest two stroke?

Scariest bike was a 1960something BSA. Practically no brakes, throttle would stick at will, it would stall at will, only bike I've ever ridden and thought "That was NO fun at all."

Scariest two stroke was a 1995 CR500 I rode on a WV trail ride. The bike Eric Gorr engine mods & pro action suspension. More times than once I thought I was going over a cliff because the power was too brutal and uncontrollable. I like to ride fast off-road and that was way too much bike for this part of the country. Cured me on ever wanting a big bore for the tight eastern woods.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 09:46:11 AM »
Yesterday evening I went for my first real ride on my Maico 500 since my accident three years ago and something really strange (and scary) happened to me! The sun was getting close to the horizon and it was getting hard to see with the sunlight filtering in thru the trees directly into my eyes. I went around a corner and down thru a brushy section when I realized " H*ly sh*t there's a BIG black bear coming right at me!". At the last possible moment the bear veered of the trail and tried to climb a tree (it was too fat). I stopped and looked back at the bear trying to figure out if it was a mother with cubs. I could tell by the look in the bear's eyes it wasn't too happy to see me! Just glad I wasn't on my mountain bike! :o

Maico 500s are actually a pleasure to ride in the tight stuff as the power is so smooth and with incredible torque you can take lines you can't take with the smaller bores. The problem I find is in braking - you have to slow down those big flywheels.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
Wow, that's pretty crazy! Was the bear coming at you to attack you?!

What year is your Maico?

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 03:37:11 PM »
Why would you stop and look back. :o  I would be gone.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 07:42:57 PM »
Whats happening here in Western Canada is that because of various environmental policies black bear numbers are increasing and it seems, to a certain extant, they are also losing their fear of mankind. I always watch the bear in an encounter like this to make sure no cubs are involved. I'm not sure if the bear was charging me but that Maico coming right at it scared it away.

I bought my 500 new in 1995 and I enjoy riding it as much now as when I first got it.

In 2004 I was tuning up a 1973 CZ125 (cost - 1 case of beer) and I was in a steep walled, flat canyon. As I revved the bike I was watching the exhaust and out of the corners of my eyes I could see the rock walls to guide me. Imagine my surprise when I turned around only to see a black bear running for it's dear life in front of me!

Offline Mudkipz

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 04:02:10 PM »
When I was 16 I had an 82 RM250 without brakes. That was scary.

Without little to none engine braking, + the power of a 250 2-stroke + the tempting to go fast, especially at a young age + no brakes

= Six flags rides with a warning of that there will be a chance that the bar thing will go off and release you from the seat.

Now with a power of a CR500

= Suicide run.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »
Now I'm curious, do you mean the RM literally had no brake drums, or that the brakes simply worked extremely poorly?  I've found that people often claim to have no brakes, and then I ride their bike and find out it stops better than mine does (Opferman's '83 Maico being a case in point.)

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 02:25:14 PM »
Geez,I feel kind of bad as I've never really ridden a scary one.Change the thread title to women though and I can contribute a story or two ::)
As for bears,you don't have to go far around here.We had one last year sitting on the door step munching out of the recycle bin.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 05:19:02 PM »
A little wild in our youth now were we? ;D

One of the things that I really enjoy doing is exploring deep into the back country on an offroad motorcycle and I've seen three Grizzlys during my excursions.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 04:33:56 AM »
The sad part is,once you get older you start thinking back-and also about some you passed up that you wouldn't pass up now.Oh well,most from the good old days that I've met up with in recent years ended up being fat-that's at least a little consolation. ;D
As for bears,blacks are one thing.I don't think I'd be too enthused about meeting a grizzly-especially when riding a machine that's likely to leave me motoring for out on foot :D ;)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 08:36:35 AM »
High school reunions can be a very scary thing.Some classmates still look 18 and others could be their parents. :o

Once I was out on a vintage Ossa exploring a potential mountain bike area when I came across a huge Grizzly stocking a young deer fawn.The fawn took off at about 90 mph and I found myself staring at a Grizzly about the size of one of those Alaskan Browns that you see in the wildlife videos chasing salmon. The bear stared at me for a moment and then casually turned around and wandered up the hill.To think I was in that same mountain plateau area the previous weekend stumbling around on my mountain bike in a dense fog!

Offline Swimr2DaResQ

• Expert
  • Awww Yeaah!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 04:49:33 PM »
I used to live in Kodiak, AK and had quite a few encounters with Brown Bears. The most memorable was on a hunting trip with a buddy from work and we were on our way back from a successful deer hunt. We came to a river crossing and he slammed on his brakes, I very nearly missed his quad and almost ran into a deep pool in the river. After a near miss and looking back at my buddy, I noticed he was scrambling to get his quad in reverse and turn around, I then turned to see two Brown Bruins staring me down at 40 yards. I thought it was awesome as they were just fishing and did not seem to care we were there.  After we calmed down, we turned off our quads to just watch and take pictures. I started to get my camera out of my pack, then I realized we had a little less than two hundred pounds of deer meat on our quads.The bears seemed not to notice the smell of the meat as there were fish half eaten all over the bank of the river. After we had been there for about 5 min they started pacing towards us, my buddy Brian was white as a ghost and scrambling to get his quad turned around again. I decided that taking their picture was not a wise choice and started my quad to get across the river and away from the brown monsters pacing towards me. As I was crossing the river, I did not choose that best path, and the water was already up to my knees. It got so deep that my quad actually started floating, thank God I had such monster mud tires on that quad, I actually floated down stream and across to the other side of the river, I was able to crawl up the bank and get back on the trail. By this point the bears had stopped their pursuit and began fishing again. After we got back on the trail, we statred laughing about how close we came to being mauled by Brown Bears, and the fact that we smelled like blood and guts! Whew, what a rush! Those Bears are much larger in person than on TV. The two bears were young males, probably about three to four years old, they were not yet full grown adults and still they had to be near 9 ft tall each! I had encounters with Black Bear On the mainland in AK and didn't even flinch, they seem like dogs to me now after encountering The Big Brownies! That was probably the only time I'm glad was on a quad and not my Bike!
"Technology frightens me to death. It's designed by engineers to impress other engineers, and they always come with instruction booklets that are written by engineers for other engineers - which is why almost no technology ever works."

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 03:59:36 PM »
Cripes,I was reading something not long ago about a guy who disappeared while camping in Alaska.His remains were later found in Grizzly Poo. :o