Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Scariest bikes you've ever ridden.  (Read 18906 times)

Offline jtomasik

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Straightline Solutions, LLC
Scariest bikes you've ever ridden.
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:35:18 AM »
1.  My old RM-465 (1981).  Had it back in the 1980's.  Powerband of a 125.  Power of an open-class 2-stroke.  4 gears, only 1 of which was in any way usable (3rd).  Suspension of a crappy go-cart.  Weird thing is, I never stopped trying to go fast on it.  The one and only place it would ever do "ok" was in sand washes.  Heck, the old Alsport-Steen (anyone remember those?) had a leg up on that old 465!

2.  XR600R.  Not positive what year.  It was a friend's of mine.  Musta been late 80's/early 90's???  Did a dual sport ride with him, and I didn't have a dual purpose bike (was visiting my old stomping grounds in Cali and only had my full-dirt bike with me).  We rode out of his house in Hesperia, down some streets, and the first thing we did when we got off the streets was ride in to a whooped out sand wash.  Now, I'm really at-home in the sand, and especially in those sections.  But, that bike was NOT.  The front end weighed like my F-250 (truck).  It immediately dove into the first whoop and tried to stay there.  Not enough power to get that pig to get its front end to float.  I tried everything I could think of to get it to ride half-decent in those whoops.  Nothing worked.  Check that...riding somewhere other than in sand/whoops corrected it!

How 'bout you guys?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 12:21:24 PM by jtomasik »
All motocross, all the time.

Offline HS125

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: Scariest bikes you've ever ridden.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:28:47 PM »
I owned a '85 CR500 once.  It maybe why my shoulders when rotated sound like gravel moving around in there.  Felt like it would pull your arms off.

I vaguely remember fast woods trails as just a blur. :)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »
Would have to be my Suzuki RMX 250. That bike had headshake like nothing else I've ever ridden. :o

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:06:37 PM »
My CBR1000RR, I would look down at the speedometer and could not believe I was dumb enough to go that fast on the street.

It was fun though :D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 08:55:37 PM »
1) 82 RM250 when i was 14. The rear mudguard did not last long. :-[

2) Moto-Guzzi 850 LeMans from London to Silverstone. Evil shaft drive that would stand the bike up straight if you lifted off the throttle while cornering. You had to do all your braking before the corner then gently wind on the power thru the corner. >:D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:19:42 PM »
The scarest bike I ever rode was a YZ426F, because it scared me that no more big bore 2 strokes were being produced.  Of course there is Maico and that eased my fears.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 02:57:03 AM »
The scariest bike I've ever ridden, by FAR, is the 1982 Husqvarna 250CR.  That is, as many of you know, my primary bike at this time.  Now, I don't have much experience with "normal" 125s, so I'm reluctant to say it's got a 125 powerband, but I will say that it feels like it has less low-end than the '67 120, and very roughly the top-end of the 390 Husky (until sixth gear, that is).  But the funny thing is, there's nothing whatsoever between the two.  Roll it on at low revs and there's almost nothing to speak of, and this continues until a certain RPM.  For all I know, that RPM is 6418, but it really is that specific.  As soon as you reach that precise point, it cuts loose and unleashes the Dogs of War.  If you watch some of my riding videos, you can clearly hear this at work, the bike goes "brrrrWAH, brrrrWAH" as you shift through the gears.  Of course, that's a short-shift, if you want to, you can keep it in Blitzkrieg mode but you're apt to run out of space really quick.

And that brings me to the next little problem.  The brakes.  They don't work.  I'm guessing at this point that the peanut gallery is thinking, "Of course they don't work, they're old drums!"  Let's put it this way, comparing the drums on the 390 to those on the [newer] 250, is like comparing the brakes of an F1 car, to a gentle tug on the reins of a horse in the wild west.  It's going to take a while.  The front brake allows you to pull the lever all the way to the grip, without locking the front wheel.  The rear brake will lock gladly, but it won't slow the bike.  To give it the benefit of the doubt, however, the rear drum is located right next to the shocks, which means that it's constantly bathed in oil.

Ah yes, the shocks.  The dual Ohlins found on the Husky are supposed to have three main components: the spring, shock absorber, and reservoir.  The springs work fine, obviously.  I mean, how in the hell do you mess that up?  The shock absorber, for some reason that we are trying to determine, leaks oil so badly, that after five minutes of hard riding, all dampening is completely gone, and oil can be seen dripping from everything rear of the swingarm pivot.  Including the brake.  And there is quite a lot of oil indeed to be lost, because each shock has a reservoir with over 100PSI of air pushing oil into the shock so that it can be blasted out all over everything.

All this combines to make a bike that likes to explode forward in great bursts of insanity, spin the rear wheel up to jet-engine-like speeds as it hops over every bump and groove in the dirt, and then take about sixteen miles to haul down to a stop.  But, once the shocks get fixed (which they will be by the time the next season starts) the bike should be a thing of greatness.  I question whether the brakes will ever be considered good anytime this decade, but I can live with that.  It'd be horrible for racing, but I don't do racing, so I've usually got plenty of room to stop.  And the engine, while kind of weird to get used to, is actually great.  It allows you to cruise around with the most mild, easy-to-control power on the face of the planet, OR take off at a million miles an hour and keep up with a bike half-again its size.  It performs both functions well, you just have to know which one you're looking for.  And that's why I completely fell in love with the big yellow axe-murderer the last time I rode it.

To hear the weird powerband in action, fast-forward to the 5:30 mark in the following video.
Going Ballistic with Tobyeo

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 05:30:14 AM »
Deltec mini bike with a CR80 engine in it.

Offline tripleduh

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 04:56:55 PM »
1971 Maico 501,My dad had to start it for me.I was 12 at the time.Rode less than 5 mins,looped it, tore off the seat and rear fender.I never got to ride it again......!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 08:02:30 PM »
Riding a 501 at age 12, holy balls!  That would be like trying to wrestle a Tyrannosaurus to the ground with your bare hands.  Or your bear hands, if you happen to be a bear.  Either way, it's not going to turn out well.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 09:09:38 AM »
The plan was hatched in the back of my highschool English class, we would take my friend's 1974 1/2 Maico MC450 (oh to have that bike now!), insert it in the back of his Mustang car and go race a local cross country event.I was to be the pilot and pre-race preparation amounted to oiling the chain. 1st gear on that old Maico was good for 50 mph and those early races were tight and twisty, with a million log crossings. What I quickly discovered was that some previous owner had welded angle iron to the bottom of the downswept expansion chamber and if I didn't plan a log crossing just right the leading edge of that reinforcing angle would dig in and launch me over the bars in a manner fit for an Olympic box vaulter.

Then, after having extracted myself from whatever bush I landed in, I would have to run back to the Maico and right it before the bike flooded. Now the previous owner, in his Mensa class wisdom, had also removed the decompressor and with points ignition starting the bike was like trying to subdue a 230 pound rattlesnake.

They eventually found me wandering hysterically in the bush, covered head to toe in scratches and bruises.

Complete vindication came at the next race, in the form of a shiny red, ISDT bred, Hercules GS250 7 speed. I miss that bike. :D   

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 01:52:50 PM »
The 1st time I swung a leg over my new 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M... I was 12.. I had to change my drawers...  I wanted a 125, but there was a 30 day waiting period, and the 250 was sitting on the floor...  The 1st time I really twisted the throttle....  holy shiiiiittttt....  how do you keep the front wheel down.  That bike was so much fun...

1975 RM400...  I thought my 250 had a loty of power...  The RM had power everywhere, and it just kept on coming...  but you'd better be wearing a good set of boots when you tried to kick that big boy over...lots of compression and a lot of kick back.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline 2stroke250

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 02:28:42 PM »
When I was 16 I had an 82 RM250 without brakes. That was scary.
1996 SUZUKI RM250 W/2000 RM250 ENGINE SWAP

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 01:21:43 PM »
My mates 85 CR 250 with no rear brakes, first time on a moto x track, 16 years old and brimming with confidence. After about 3 laps i wasnt so confident and was definately riding alot slower than the first couple of laps, its amazing how hard you will pull on the front brake when your rocketing towards a corner wondering, "how the hell am i gonna stop this bloody thing??!!!"

Was tons of fun when the brake got fixed though.........and not so scary..
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »
2008 crf250r was the first four stroke i rode, and that thing scared me becuase you never know when that thing will blow up.  When hit the jumps all i could think about is that thing exploding and me ending up in a wheel chair.