Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Jd Jetting kit  (Read 11732 times)

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
Jd Jetting kit
« on: August 05, 2010, 02:03:40 PM »
ok, ok, I know some say it's the easy way out.
But, I wanted to find out how many of you out there use this kit and what kind of luck you have had using it.
I havent rode my new 07 cr125 bike yet (temps have been in the triple digits) so I dont know what issues with jetting I am going to have.  I pulled the plug and it is wet from the dealer checkout at purchase.  I do know that, I, at least need to change the main jet due to current temperatures in my area and I know many say that from the factory these bike come wet from the begining.
I had a terrible time with my 06 cr125 before with fouling plugs and I am tired of that bullshiet.
I have since educated myself on the brass side of things, as well as anybody should when owning a 2t.
I have heard that the Jd kit's needles are tappered and are a step up from factory and really are an asset to help with dialing the bike in.
In the next few weeks some 4t brothers have invited me to go to the mountains to ride, including some trails and some open space riding.
It will be up around 9,000 feet, so to have a hassel free good time I need to be dialed in to make sure my 2t represents our kind in good fashion.
These guys have been giving me a rough time verbally since they found out I bought another 2t.
St, redridermx2 & scotty dog in particular, what are yous guys thoughts on this subject?

Thanks in advance for any advice/experience/thoughts.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 02:07:51 PM by TxTechRedRider »
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline SubTexel

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: Jd Jetting kit
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »
ok, ok, I know some say it's the easy way out.
But, I wanted to find out how many of you out there use this kit and what kind of luck you have had using it.
I havent rode my new 07 cr125 bike yet (temps have been in the triple digits) so I dont know what issues with jetting I am going to have.  I pulled the plug and it is wet from the dealer checkout at purchase.  I do know that, I, at least need to change the main jet due to current temperatures in my area and I know many say that from the factory these bike come wet from the begining.
I had a terrible time with my 06 cr125 before with fouling plugs and I am tired of that bullshiet.
I have since educated myself on the brass side of things, as well as anybody should when owning a 2t.
I have heard that the Jd kit's needles are tappered and are a step up from factory and really are an asset to help with dialing the bike in.
In the next few weeks some 4t brothers have invited me to go to the mountains to ride, including some trails and some open space riding.
It will be up around 9,000 feet, so to have a hassel free good time I need to be dialed in to make sure my 2t represents our kind in good fashion.
These guys have been giving me a rough time verbally since they found out I bought another 2t.
St, redridermx2 & scotty dog in particular, what are yous guys thoughts on this subject?

Thanks in advance for any advice/experience/thoughts.

After doing the PWK swap on my 2006 CR250 I tried multiple needle / mj and pj combos and was never happy (NE3W needle that came in it, a 2000 CR250 needle, and a couple others (DDK and the like) and I just couldn't get the magic combo that made me happy.

So I bought the 2000 CR250 JD jet kit. Installed the blue needle and the recommended PJ and MJ and it was perfect from the get go. Yeah, I took the "easy" way out, but really the needles in the kits are pretty nice (the MJ and PJ are the same you can buy anywhere), for the 02+ CR125s and CR250s I hear the JD kit with a modified head cure most all jetting issues these bikes tend to have with the Mikuni carb. Worth a shot IMHO.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:32:05 PM »
It's not the easy way out to have something that works correctly.The advantage of many of the kits are needles that mimic the upper taper of needle "A" and the lower of needle "B" -Nothing wrong with doing that imo.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
Kits are nice because you have choices and don't just keep buying one jet at a time.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 08:02:28 AM »
Try to find an icat spark enhancer, I may have gotten the last one, it came out of Alaska. The icat  acts like an after market ignition,and if your jetting is off it  makes the bike more rideable. The 05-07 cr125 load up, you have to ride them hard, mid to top. I  put a Rad valve in my 06 cr125, Boyeseen suggested jetting ,pilot 50-stock, stock needle, 410 main-leaner, I  took the rad valve apart and polished the internals, I  rode it 2  minutes in the grass, it,s  snappier,noticable improvement low to mid. I  would have to check  my 06, I  think I  have  a 37.5 pilot in it, stock needle,410 main, 110 leaded, 32.1 , I,ve  been tuning my 04 cr151 lately.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 08:22:42 AM »
I think SubTexel gave you your answer Tx, I'm not much help on jetting, especially with the Honda i have at the moment it seems to be pretty much spot on. Havent fiddled with the brass bits since my KTM and that was in 01. Hope ya get it sorted though and ya can show those 4pig clowns how a real bike goes.. ;D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 11:31:57 PM »
I bought my 06 cr125 used maybe 10 hrs. on it. The vet beginner I bought t from, took it to a honda dealer ship, for jetting they put a 37.5 pilot in and that,s it. I  tried a  50 pilot and put the 37.5 back in, the temp. here is 82 to a rare 90, humid though. I  rode the 06 on the track today, it has  more snap off the bottom, more mid, topend revs out good. The Rad valve makes the bike run better overall, I think the stock reeds where fluttering. The stock reeds have 3 separate narrow reeds,on 1 side same on the other side. There very easy to open compard  to V force or Rad valve. I  checked the plug today coco brown, I heard good things about the JD jet kit for cr250,s , for riding at 9,000 ft. it might be a good idea to call them and see what they have for the 125.

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
Thanks guys for all the great comments & advice.
I will be buying the jd kit at least for the needles.
St. keep the comments coming, I'm learning lots.  :o
You guys that have honda's, are you able to change out all your brass when you rotate the carb?
What I mean is, I know I can change out the main and slow jets when rotating the carb, but will I be able to get the top of the carb off to get to the needle?
I've been studying the manual & the shop one as well.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:29:50 PM by TxTechRedRider »
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 09:32:11 PM »
Yes you can get to the needle without taking the carb off. I  take the countersproket guard off, rotate carb, then use a short and a long philips screwdriver.  Just be  careful and take your time, there,s a  tiny washer on the screw that likes to disappear. That,s the worst thing about the bike, how tight the carb is, that sucker is stashed way back. The icat is great,because it cuts down on jetting, you know 1 day it,s 89 then the next ride is 78, with  the icat your still good.

Offline sidewayskid

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 06:31:51 AM »
For what it is worth........
at best a kit is going to get you in the ballpark. There are several factors that drasticly
effect jetting on two strokes. Fuel used and oil choice being two of them. Exhaust as well S/A or silencer.
If ballbark is not OK, then there is no short cut to getting it right.
Many OEM needles have their own number system and do not share technical info.
Needles are measured each 10mm. You need to know where you are starting, in order
to figure out where you are going. Next is to figure out where in the power band does not work correctly. Some correction can be made be made with jets. It is when you get out of you adjustment range with the needle clip that a new needle may be in order.
The Needle is part of the fix. Many try to "jet" around the problem or feel that the needle is the magic answer. Oh yea, don't forget the slide. This can fix many problems being clean down low. Some own tractor two strokes and don't know it. Businesses that
offer kits are providing a needed service by getting us into the ballpark. However,
each bike, each rider, each situation. Basic stuff here equals max power to the ground.

Colors are used for certain applications. But my grand daughter gets mad at me when
I go outside the lines.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Is the JD kit worth buying?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 07:05:07 AM »

Did you even read the other posts in this thread?  :D
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 07:50:50 AM »
For someone "new" to the art of jetting, a JD kit is the way to go...  As stated it will get you close...  I have a 2000 KTM 300 EXC.  This bike is notoriously known as difficult to jet.  I could have gone with a kit from JD, but opted (based on suggestions from those much more knowable than I) to got with a few different needles, and a few different jets.  (They previously owned the same bike and knew the "fixes".  The best advice I received from them was to change slides.  I still get some spooge...  but the bike runs like a scalded ape... and it's rock solid.  So my jetting is close...  not perfect, but for me its fine. (If anything I'm a little on the rich side, I can deal with that...  I do have to adjust for colder temps, but that's a 5 min adjustment.  I'm happy with it.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 07:55:09 AM »

Did you even read the other posts in this thread?  :D

lol no not really...  :P

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 06:03:01 PM »
Its very true that great words of wisedome on personal exprience have been posted on this thread about this topic, very truely.
Hoping not to muddy up the water on what has been posted here, but only to add my experience to this subject.
There seems to be mostly two sides to this issue about the jetting and using a jetting kit.
Roughly stating, one side says that if a person adheres to the temperature, altitude and manual specifications, a person will be able to correctly
set the bike up by purchasing the correct "brass"(jets and needles) and given that the parameters are correct(float is where its supposed to be).  
The other side says that the kit isnt a lame excuse and is a modern technology benefit for arriving at a bike that runs and doesnt foul plugs out on the back 40, which will cause a person to walk the bike back to camp possibly several miles.
I think its up to the person to study your own situation (bike) and what to do.  I bought the shop manual to help me understand and know
what parts are where and how to get at them.  Dont be discouraged, everyone on this site will help.
An interesting thing I found out about my bike is that a good way to discover whats going on with the bike is to turn out all the lights
and use a flashlight to look at the bike and follow the wiring, tubing, etc. to see what is what.  It is easier understand the
map of a bike.  Give it a try, I think you will see it in a different light, really.

Todd
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:08:53 PM by TxTechRedRider »
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61