Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: EFI Bighorn  (Read 30389 times)

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2013, 07:28:08 AM »
I don't think the laptop likes it too much.

I'd say so - visions of that set up have me (respectfully) chuckling away.

Brilliant stuff , Uniflow.

I've Never had anything to do with castings - I'm enjoying seeing / reading your progress. A  new YZ top end, with the ability to go bigger in bore size, with your EFI, could certainly find a market. I went into that 'Micro' Dirt Track car / karts world, via the Internet, and it seems like a big market. Though, there may be restrictions on induction methods?????? Karting seems to restrict induction systems, to keep costs in check.

Your a clever Kiwi - geeze I Hate praising Un Zudders!. They are 'orrible ;D ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2013, 02:25:21 AM »

Here is a little of the development of the Bighorn. Video is mostly by "accident" ( someone happened to have a camera around at the time) so it's just a lot of jumbled bit's of video from a friend of mine. Most was with the Lake Injector ( copy ) and some with the early days of EFI, still had a lot of tuning to do. Actually still finding bits in the computer I didn't even know was in there. I'm sorry the pictures are not so good but at least you can see it runs.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2013, 02:46:31 AM »
uniflow you fat f@#k we have the same ridining style! if ever we meet its pints on me.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2013, 07:02:38 AM »
nice one mate!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2013, 04:36:53 PM »
Funny, your bike doesn't sound like a bighorn. What is a Lake Injector? My riding buddy had a girlfriend in Bellevue (Seattle), Washington, spent a lot of time there. ;D

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2013, 09:32:16 AM »
Racer X , What style??? It;s taken me many years and a buggered hip to evolve this " style "
No, if ever I see you, the pints are on me!! That Lake injector was a @#$%^ to tune I'm glad it's gone.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »
Shout yourself some good shocks and you can make some emulators for the forks. That sounds very sharp indeed.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2013, 10:35:09 PM »
ha! we'll drink. that old school sit down style was what i was on about, now i don't have the buggred hip, i'm just fat and lazy. people think i seat bounce everything but i truly don't feel like standing up for very long so i sit for every thing but whoops.

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:41 AM »
2T , it's got racetec emulators in it now, made a huge difference. Yes well, the back shocks could be better. Biggest problem, apart from the rider, is weight, steel tank, guards, wheels, seat base etc ( and me ) . It's only a rolling test bed my RV engine ideas. Cost too much in time and money to change everything to alloy. This is old video, it runs better now I have a lot of problems getting my head around the advance needed with ethanol and have been too conservative so far.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2013, 12:36:52 AM »
 A decent set of shocks will transform that rear, I can see from the track bit of the video, it can't get the power to the ground and doesn't track well over bumps. Trust me it be the best $$ you ever spend.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »
Stuff that Bighorn motor in a Maico chassis. ;D

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2013, 02:24:03 AM »
It is what it is, I'm hoping people will look past the 1973 bit and focus on the 2012 / 2013  bit, the EFI, just to show does  run. Engine itself is quite mild, standard barrel with a lightish port job but the EFI is what makes it special ( to me anyway ). I don't want to throw anymore time and money at it, the next project is the 360T / YZF bike. Slow progress but I do have one case drawn up now ready to machine. Work keeps getting in the way!!

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2013, 02:28:53 AM »
i admire her as is.

Offline Uniflow

• View Profile
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2013, 12:04:48 AM »
Well we did it, The Bighorn, second in the VMX series. Certainly the bike is good enough for first just not the rider. EFI performed flawlessly all season only problems was a foot peg falling off ( this was the only DNF ), gearbox bearing failure ( at a trail ride but still finished the ride ) and a regulator issue that was found half way through the season but this didn't affect five lap races. I'm not sure if an EFI twostroke has finished with a place in a national MX series before? I would imagine it would be the first EFI Bighorn Kawasaki to do this anyway! I'm just saying EFI does work.
YZ 250 is running, problems with the injectors being too big so we are waiting for some smaller units.
Injector on times are too small to get the mixture right. Do you know the biggest problem we have here in NZ is getting stuff, no one stocks anything and to order out of the US you have to be sure it's what you want before they send it and trying to ask technical questions over the phone to some parts packer is impossible. Half of them can't even read a ruler, keep telling me sizes in something called " inches " ?  :D

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
EFI Bighorn
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »
I have watched your bighorn thread all the way though -- thanks for the continued updates. I am split between my admiration of a vintage bike still on the trail and my admiration for what you have accomplished with a roll your own EFI system. Congrats, and contrats on th 2nd in the series.

Now its time to really make that bike fly. Find a roached 250F and put that way cool aire cooled 2T EFI motor in there!

Well we did it, The Bighorn, second in the VMX series. Certainly the bike is good enough for first just not the rider. EFI performed flawlessly all season only problems was a foot peg falling off ( this was the only DNF ), gearbox bearing failure ( at a trail ride but still finished the ride ) and a regulator issue that was found half way through the season but this didn't affect five lap races. I'm not sure if an EFI twostroke has finished with a place in a national MX series before? I would imagine it would be the first EFI Bighorn Kawasaki to do this anyway! I'm just saying EFI does work.
YZ 250 is running, problems with the injectors being too big so we are waiting for some smaller units.
Injector on times are too small to get the mixture right. Do you know the biggest problem we have here in NZ is getting stuff, no one stocks anything and to order out of the US you have to be sure it's what you want before they send it and trying to ask technical questions over the phone to some parts packer is impossible.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)