Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Gary Semics' Training DVDs  (Read 4170 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Gary Semics' Training DVDs
« on: July 31, 2010, 03:18:22 AM »
I happened across this about a year ago.  I was looking for footage on YouTube from various helmet cameras, when I see the name "Gary Semics" in one of the titles.  Being all crusty and old-school like I am, I immediately recognized the name from the magazines of Yore.  Lo and behold, Semics is keeping busy by training other riders in the art of motocross.  His former students include Jeremy McGrath and Ryan Villopoto, among many others.  On his YouTube channel, you can find snippets and previews from the DVDs he sells, the oldest being produced in 1992 and the newest in 2010.  The following is from the most recent DVD.  I haven't bought any of these yet, but from what I've seen it looks like they have immense instructional value.  And, if you have the ability (and the cash!) to bring your bike to a few select spots around the country at the right time, you too can be instructed by Gary Semics, or some other "Semics Approved" trainers.  I'm sure he'd get a kick out of me showing up with an '82 Husky, but there's no way I'm driving to Ohio to show him my bike. :D

Motocross Corner Speed - Beyond the Basics.wmv

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Gary Semics' Training DVDs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:58:48 AM »
Yep Gary has been doing those classes a long time. He knows his stuff for sure.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline KTMguy

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:53:23 AM »
My cousins and I got a few of his vids from the local library back in about 2000. It's definately got some good stuff for the beginning rider.

I got a funny story about those vids. About mid-way through one of them my younger cousin, probably 10 at the time, says he saw a naked chick flash on the screen. My other cousin and I didn't see anything, so being about 12 y/o and always desperate for pics of naked chicks we wanted to investigate this thing further. We rewinded the tape and played it back a few times and then finally we could kind of see what he was talking about. We played the tape one frame at a time and there she was, one bare chested chick. I guess someone slipped it in there for laughs. I still don't know how my cousin saw that.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:14:22 AM »
ktmGUY,that is a funny story and thanks for the heads up! :D