Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Gas Milage  (Read 8247 times)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Gas Milage
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:25:18 AM »
So how many miles can you go on a full tank and over what terrian (tight single track, wide open desert, wide open ATV style trails, etc.)? 

How big is your gas tank?  I've seen Acerbis makes tanks for some model bikes of over 6 gallons.

What size engine do you have?

Anyone use Auxiliary Fuel tanks like the
Acerbis Front/Rear Fuel Tanks or a side panel fuel tank or carry collapsable bladders?

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=360_362

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Milage
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:44:17 PM »
Bike: 07 TM en300.
Tank size: Standard 9.5L
Range: 80Km easy Over fast hill country. Mainly 3rd, 4th , 5th gear country. And i dont ride slow. ;D

P.S I have been surprised ever since i bought the bike how good the range is.I cant get my head round why its so good.
My RM 250 i just sold was lucky to get 50Km out of a 8L tank.I did manage 60Km on one ride when i missed the fuel truck but i was on fumes when i got back. And i took the last 10Km quite abit slower to make sure i got home.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »
on trails I usually get 30 mpg
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »
YZ250 30mpg in the mountains 35mpg desert
CR500 25mpg in the mountains 30mpg desert

Both bikes have 3.2 gallon tanks.

I can squeak out a little more range if I take it easy.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:41:27 PM »
My friend's bike gets 10mpg :)  1998 KX 500, he ran out of gas on a 40 mile poker run half way.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:06:28 PM »
I was talking with a guy on MSN the other day (he comes on here occasionally) and if I'm remembering correctly, he said he went through something like two gallons of gas in a 2.5mi race, on a new CR125.  The same CR125 apparently broke his foot when he tried to kick-start it, in spite of wearing motocross boots.  Sounds like a monster.

Anyway, I really can't say what kind of mileage my bikes get, because I really don't know how many miles we actually cover at a time.  I do know, however, that my 250 Husky with its 2.1 (or is it 2.2?) gallon tank has about twice the range of Opferman's '83 Maico 490.  The 120, with it's ? gallon tank, has quite a lot better range than the 250, though again I don't know what the numbers are.  One time, when riding the 120 with my dad's 100 Yamaha (we have a traditional small-bike ride each year) we got way, way, WAY out in the middle of nowhere after getting lost on the way, when the Yamaha ran out of gas going up a hill.  It was so underpowered at that time (airbox modification and a longer stinger fixed that) he was full throttle the whole time, so it really sucked it down.  He still had reserve, so we limped back to camp.  He ran out of gas for real three times more on the way back, and twice we'd take a beer can, fill it with gas from the 120, and put it in his bike.  Finally, he gave up and told me to go back to camp.  I rode back, put some gas in the 120 (which was understandably almost empty) and then transported a Gatorade bottle of gas to rescue the stranded Yamaha.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 11:12:54 PM »
I do know, however, that my 250 Husky with its 2.1 (or is it 2.2?) gallon tank has about twice the range of Opferman's '83 Maico 490.

This was never proven, I never hit reserve that day, Just didn't want to get stranded since we parked miles from the actual riding area, but I know you had a half tank and since I didn't hit reserve but was less than half tank you may have more range but I don't think it's 2x  :)  

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:23:58 PM by opfermanmotors »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 11:30:51 PM »
So it's not quite 2x the range, but it's somewhat close to that.  Without actually doing some measuring you can't really tell.  But you also had a giant desert tank.  Any idea of what the mileage on the '83 is?

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 11:48:20 PM »
Not really since I only just started riding it again after rebuilding it.  I know the one time I ran into reserve I rode close to 10 miles back to the truck and didnt run out of gas.  I am going to get one of those universal speedometers to track the milage in my bikes.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 05:37:20 AM »
No idea. Nobody I ride with records mileage. I have been considering buying a cheapo speedo/odometer for on it, but haven't done it yet.

I know my nephew's CR80 Expert is harder on gas than my 125. His has a 1.8 gal tank and mine has a 2.3gal but he has been on empty before and I still had half a tank.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 08:29:46 AM »
I find that often times, when you're riding and keeping up with someone who's got a bigger bike, it's easy to go through the gas faster.  Recently the formula has been my 250 paired with dad's 390, and while he's purring along in sixth, I'm pounding two or three gears out of the corners to match the pace set by his low-end.  The bikes have the same gas tank so its real easy to see who's burning more, and it ain't the 390.

That said, unless you're really going for it, the 390 is very good at cruising about as fast as its rider has the balls to go, without ever really laying down the power.  When I took it on a ride by myself and cruised around real easy (because you don't want to abuse a bike when there's no one around with a tow-rope) I pretty much ran out of places to go when I still had half a tank.  Very efficient bike when you ride conservatively.  If the other guy has something bigger, though, you'll start to think a hole has been ripped in the fabric of space-time, into which your gas has disappeared, never to be seen again.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 08:42:59 AM »
Zach is basically a noob so I either follow him (he is SLOW still, lol) or I stop often to let him catch up. Once he learns some more technique and skill he will get more speed. Luckily I have of both our bikes jetted well so he has only ever fouled one plug on his 80 and I haven't fouled any yet on my 125.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 08:47:46 AM »
I see.  I remember when my cousins were at the 80-100cc level.  They would foul plugs and go through them like corn chips because they ran ratios with a very fat dose of oil but never really got the bikes revving at all.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 09:15:22 AM »
I ride with a wide variety of people, some Class A or B riders sometimes and have to go faster, some newbs and go slower, some average riders, some newbs who want to kill themselves, some newbs who don't want to kill themselves but will still want to push themselves but within more reason to their current skill level to newbs who do not want to push themselves at all. 

Depending on what bike I have and who I am riding with seems to dictact how much ground I can cover :)  I want to get a speedo tho so I can judge better, usually I just look in the tank if it looks like I'm getting close to reserve then go refuel.  Definately want to judge tho b/c next year I want to enter the 85 mile ISDE in diamond mill and so want to make sure I can complete.  I think I can today with the KTM since they have emergency fuel at 30 miles and then refuel at 60 miles and the KTM I know has covered 40 miles without running out of gas, but was getting close. 

Thing is, I want to have the 86 Maico since its the best handling and has the best brakes, so when I get that ready I need to see how far a tank goes.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »
I see.  I remember when my cousins were at the 80-100cc level.  They would foul plugs and go through them like corn chips because they ran ratios with a very fat dose of oil but never really got the bikes revving at all.

We run Yamalube 2R at 32:1. Hill climbs and open sections Zach opens it up. But otherwise in the rocks, roots, twisty hills, etc. He is learning every ride but very cautious still.