Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Who farted?  (Read 5239 times)

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Who farted?
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:11:30 PM »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Who farted?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:13:22 PM »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »
I keep noticing that four-strokes are constantly just banging up against the rev-limiter.  Can't imagine how fragile they'd be if they didn't have one!

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »
The cool aid pushers could maybe do themselves a favor by setting those a little lower. They are meant to help prevent catastrophic failures, but it looks like they aren't dialed back quite far enough.

The failures still happen regularly enough to create a negative stereotype for the 4 stoke machines even with every media channel blasting "So Happy Together" propaganda almost as loud as they can about 4 stroke junkers.

And, of course you'll never be told that Andrew Short's EFI fucked up on the line at Freestone and left him high and dry! They won't mention stupid fuel pumps, no sir!

High and Dry! E.F.I.! Blow Sky High!

I just love watching people buy into crap.

Or having crap basically forced on me by some invisible empire with a D Coombs greasy smile.

Oh well, the good news as I see it is that 4 strokes sold fast for a while, but now they're firmly un-selling themselves one engine failure at a time.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:50:59 PM by Suzuki TS250/185 »
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 04:02:29 PM »
The cool aid pushers could maybe do themselves a favor by setting those a little lower. They are meant to help prevent catastrophic failures, but it looks like they aren't dialed back quite far enough.

The failures still happen regularly enough to create a negative stereotype for the 4 stoke machines even with every media channel blasting "So Happy Together" propaganda almost as loud as they can about 4 stroke junkers.

And, of course you'll never be told that Andrew Short's EFI fucked up on the line at Freestone and left him high and dry! They won't mention stupid fuel pumps, no sir!

High and Dry! E.F.I.! Blow Sky High!

I just love watching people buy into crap.

Or having crap basically forced on me by some invisible empire with a D Coombs greasy smile.

Oh well, the good news as I see it is that 4 strokes sold fast for a while, but now they're firmly un-selling themselves one engine failure at a time.

hahahaah Good post! I love it!   

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 04:40:14 PM »
If one were to buy one of these things, does anybody know if it's possible to change the rev-limiter?  If the mafia were pointing a cannon at my temples and I wound up riding a 250F as my main bike, I would certainly want that limiter to be lower, but is there any way to do that, or anyone you can call to have it done?

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
If one were to buy one of these things, does anybody know if it's possible to change the rev-limiter?  If the mafia were pointing a cannon at my temples and I wound up riding a 250F as my main bike, I would certainly want that limiter to be lower, but is there any way to do that, or anyone you can call to have it done?

No one has to ride bouncing on the rev limiter!! All you need to do is shift before the bike revs so high.

Attempting the rev limiter trick on an open class two-stroke could be very dangerous to your health!! So experienced open class masters suggest shifting early, avoiding lots of noise, knob ripping wheelspin and a rear tire that tries to pass the front one by going underneath it!!! LOL

Of course you could also perform the "surgery" that some of us old guys used to do on the late 70's Suzuki RM's and cut the wire that engages the rev limiter altogether! All the silly rev limiter does is cut out the ignition when the rpms climb too high... just let the bike rev until it blows, then back it down a notch!  :-* :-*
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »
What I'm thinking, though, is that when I'm watching these guys take to the track on their four-strokes, they don't hold it at the limiter necessarily, but as soon as the back tire hops or when they're getting on the power to start a landing, it revs to the moon and hits the limiter.  For example in the video in the OP of this thread, his RPM doesn't seem all that high when the wheel is touching the ground, but the instant it goes into the air it's spinning at full blow.  If it were my bike and I wanted to avoid rebuilding it every week, I'd want a really good insurance policy against revving to the moon.  With a two-stroke it's not so bad because they don't seem to break (example, I once accidentally shifted from fourth to first on the 120 and it's still going on those parts) but with a four-stroke I'd definitely want a safety net to save my assets.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 08:00:18 PM »
The 4 stroke guys on certain parts of a circuit keep the motor screeming to aid in the handling.
They are using the rotating mass to help them jump. ;D
Throttle off and you have engine braking. :-[
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:14:09 PM »
If I were one of the big factory execs, I'd just put a compression release on the cylinder to stop the engine braking at the rider's discretion.  That way you could have the engine braking to help you stop if you need it, or cut the compression if you want it to be more like free-wheeling.  About half of my dad's bikes have them, and every once in a while on a downhill you can hear the bike make a sound like a rattlesnake as he dumps the compression and smoothly coasts at a billion miles per hour.  Never ridden a bike with one myself, but it seems pretty sweet.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 11:21:42 PM »
Had a compression release on my Husky 360WR, I used it quite a bit going down hills and it made starting a lot easier. Also had one on my Yamaha 125 before I put on the Webco high compression head and plan on having my spare YZ490 head modded for compression release. Oh yeah, I forgot my Maico 400 has two compression releases, the factory one in the cylinder and another in the spare plug hole in the head.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:24:32 PM by riffraff »
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days