Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Hondas NOT so surprising anti 2-stroke stance.  (Read 15937 times)

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
Hondas NOT so surprising anti 2-stroke stance.
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »
In the recent August 2010 issue of MXA Hondas development engineer was asked the question...Is there a future for two-strokes? and while I'm not going to post every answer he gave in MXA word for word I would like to post his 1st four answers to the said ?

1) There is no future for two-strokes at Honda.
 2) Our policy is 100% four-stroke.
 3) It's a green issue.
 4) Honda strongly believes in this in every product it makes,from motorcycles to garden trimmers.

These are the answers that were given by Taichi Honda in the latest issue of MXA concerning the future of 2-strokes! Well at least the future of 2-strokes according to Honda.. >:(
   It's reasons like these as well as some of Hondas past decisions concerning two-strokes that makes me have very little if any respect for that company...!

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Hondas NOT so surprising anti 2-stroke stance.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »
You know, I have no problem with Honda going the "4 Stroke only" route, but only if they believe their 4 strokes are superior or equal to 2 strokes.  So if they "vote" to allow the AMA rules to be changed to equal displacement for all engines, then good for Honda.  But I doubt they will because they KNOW that if the rule is changed, and they're the only company not selling a competition 2 stroke, they will be the unerdogs.  Just going on lap times alone, I think there is plenty of room for competition for both types of engines and in a variety of CC's.  They could have their factory riders on 4 strokes for "4-stroke" tracks and have them ride 2 strokes for "2-stroke" type tracks.

It'll never happen though, UNLESS by some miracle, the rules change to be equal.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »
My biggest problem with four-strokes in general is the enormous amount of money they cost in up keep. Especially the modern four-strokes..? Back in the late 70's & 80's when they (4-strokes) were air cooled and did'nt have titanium valves & the very,very high rev ceilings that they have today they were pretty reliable bikes,but the new breed of four-strokes are just way too costly for alot of the younger generation of Motocross racers & privateers.

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
Awhile back I saw Honda had a two smoker that they claimed would be the future!! They called it the 'ARC' it was almost diesel like the spark plug cut out at a certian RPM I'll bet RIFF RAFF has this article cut out of the magazine somewhere.

So now they claim 4-stroke will be the future? how many times can they change thier minds? If the 2t manufacturers keep stealing sales from them I'm sure they will flip flop again!
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »
Funny thing, Honda lost all of my business because of their "no more two strokes" stance, And all of their political BS with the unfair four stroke handicap.

I spend a small amount of money on dirt bikes, But much more on cars, trucks, garden equipment and generators.

I was a loyal Honda customer for many years. I will never purchase another Honda product.

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:50:07 PM »
1) There is no future for two-strokes at Honda.
 2) Our policy is 100% four-stroke.
 3) It's a green issue.
 4) Honda strongly believes in this in every product it makes,from motorcycles to garden trimmers.

I thought there was a rather positive facet to what he said, UNLESS you were waiting for a new Honda 2 stroke.

My favorite thing was that he stated openly, "There is a 2 stroke resurgence." Interesting that this Honda guy would be honest and willing to acknowledge this resurgence, while most of the industry and media stripes seem hell bent on minimizing or outright denying it and/or using their influence to try to slow it or marginalize it.

Also, Mr Honda responded to the question, "Which bike are you particularly proud of?" by saying "I have worked on many bikes through the years, and I liked the 250 two strokes."

Watching one of those works of art in motion with a great rider on board, it's plain to see why.

2003 Minneapolis Supercross - Part 1 of 3

I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 05:34:03 PM »
he also said he owns and rides an '05 and '07 CR250R. hmmmm.

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »
Yeah, you're right! They don't make 2 strokes anymore and they say they won't ever again, but this one guy seems pretty positive on them for the most part.
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 06:14:47 PM »
Agree GlennC.
I grew up on hondas but wont touch anything of theirs now. >:(
Honda have repeatedly threatend to pull out of different championships over the years if the rules dont go their way.
I say let them. :)
They will come crawling back before long.

The new moto2 class is a classic example of Honda getting its own way..Yes the racing is close, but how the hell did the FIM let it happen and then make honda the engine supplier  >:(

Now road racing has the same problem as mx with the kids having to jump from 125's straight onto 600cc's.Which are slower then the 250's :(
And now they are saying the 125's are going next.
This is suposed to be gp racing not "production" racing.We already have production racing.
Build the ultimate engine and chassis to a given cc & weight.Thats it !
If Honda didn't have an ingrained anti 2 stroke policy i am sure they would have 2 stroke street bikes & dirt bikes that were quicker, lighter and more economical then 4 strokes.
10 years with no new research and development and cc for cc the 4 strokes are still not better then a 2 stroke. :D
I think its time the manufactors looked in the mirror and thought to themselves, " Are we doing the right thing"  
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
ok I have a serious question I just got done watching the 2005 san diego supercross and I'm having a hard time with what is different? Are the 2010 450's that much different than the 05's as far as power cause I just saw carmichael and reed lap the entire field on 250's and not to mention windham was on a 450 what is it that makes the 250 2t so unattractive to ride these day. I'm having a hard time figuring out this one as well if a 250 2t is faster than a 250 4t but the 250 4t's alot of times put down the same time as the 450's why is it not 250 vs 250?? I'm soooo lost

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 06:46:05 PM »
I could'nt have said it better TMKIWI...! Honda is clearly against all 2-strokes even products like weed whackers...?!How ridiculous is that? Ironically the first ride I ever owned was a Honda mini trail 50 but I was only 7 years old & did'nt know any better but I sure know better now..
  Long live European two-strokes...!!!aye.
   TM
   KTM
   HUSABERG "Now that they have a couple 2-strokes".
   HUSQVARNA
   BETA
   MAICO
   GAS GAS
  And any other Euro brand thats NOT afraid to build top notch smokers..!!! :) :P ;)  

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 07:34:09 PM »
Awhile back I saw Honda had a two smoker that they claimed would be the future!! They called it the 'ARC' it was almost diesel like the spark plug cut out at a certian RPM I'll bet RIFF RAFF has this article cut out of the magazine somewhere.

Sorry G, don't have the article handy but I definitely remember it and I'll find it again
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 07:59:54 PM »

Sorry G, don't have the article handy but I definitely remember it and I'll find it again

Is this what you're talking about??

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2008/11/honda-exp-2-the-return-of-two-strokes/
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 08:13:35 PM »
Different article but same engine I think
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
It,s  all  about   the  sale  of  parts, Honda  does a  parts  price  check  every 30 days. If  you  tell  the  parts  guy, the  wrist pin bearing  is  8.30, he,ll  tell  you  that   he  has  to check yet, because  Honda  goes  over  parts prices  everyday 30 days.  It,s  a  shame  honda  caved in  to  the  green  bs, because   they  built  the  best  handling  125  of  all  time.  Talk  to a  retired  pro, he,ll  tell  yeah, and  factory connection,s  owners  kid   has  2  cr125  07,s, I  just   found  that out. I,m  sure  they  have  money  to  buy, any  bike  you can  think  of. But  he  choses   to  ride  a  cr125,  the  same  bike as  the  05,  the 02- 04  had  small  changes, to the  frame. Remember  Honda   had to  giveaway big  tool boxes  to  sell  there  bikes and  lost  there  star  McGrath. They  went  nutso  on  the  chasis, and  got  it  near perfect.