Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: my rm is sparking but wont start PLEASE HELP  (Read 7230 times)

Offline jingham

• Novice
    • View Profile
my rm is sparking but wont start PLEASE HELP
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:05:29 AM »
hi my rm85 is sparking and gtin petrol but nt fireing 4 sum reason it is just recently had a top end rebuild but was workin fine 4 like 2 hours sayin that it kept locking up wen gttin really hot but done that like twice in the 2 hours if sum1 cud tell me plz do so thanks
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:13:44 AM by jingham »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: my rm is sparking but wont start PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 02:47:54 PM »
Sounds like it is running lean.
If it has locked up i would check the compression again.
Pull the carb of and check for blokages.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »
You remembered to put coolant back in right? Like TMK says my guess is lean or getting way hot from lack of coolant flow. Better check the compression unfortunately, locking up is never good.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:17:06 AM by Coop »
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 01:19:04 AM »
NO TEXT TALK PLEASE

Offline crash796

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 06:47:27 AM »
NO TEXT TALK PLEASE

^^^^^^^
                       Agreed

Offline jingham

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 06:56:26 AM »
i aint put cooler in i just put water in as i fouht  thts all u had 2 put in.
wat do u mean lean  and carb cud b blocked s nt cheked that yet  but there defently compression just had the head of it and it was fine the piston no scores on barrel or nowt but was black oil in there and i tuk the exhust ov and it was drippin like mad out ov there black oil but cud this because i used cheap 2stroke oil

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »
Sorry dude, I am having a real hard time understanding what you are trying to say.

Could you please write this so I can get a better understanding of what you are saying?

Is it that you are using "Texting talk" or is English a second language for you?

Thanks!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline jingham

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 11:23:47 AM »
sorry m8 lol its txt talk and english is my 1st language lol
anyway its got spark and its getting petrol and i have just bought a brand new spark plugand its still not fireing it seems like it is fireing at the wrong time but im not sure why because i have just fitted a topend rebuild and the bike worked fine then all of a sudden it locked up around 3 hours after  rebuild but it wasnt seized it has good compression stil but 2day i have had a friend lukin at it and he has made sure carb is ok changed the petrol took the head off and cheked the rings aint stikin he said he thinks its  the woodruff key or something like that but then he  removed all casin 2 gt 2 woodruff key and then he couldnt gt a part of it luked 2 me as if it was magnetic he said that the woodruff key sits behind it and he thinks wen it locked up that it wasnt anything 2 do wiyh piston he thinks it was the part he couldnt get off sorry i cant tell u the part as i dont no much about bikes if u have any ideas please let me no thanks

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 08:27:59 AM »
sorry m8 lol its txt talk and english is my 1st language lol
anyway its got spark and its getting petrol and i have just bought a brand new spark plugand its still not fireing it seems like it is fireing at the wrong time but im not sure why because i have just fitted a topend rebuild and the bike worked fine then all of a sudden it locked up around 3 hours after  rebuild but it wasnt seized it has good compression stil but 2day i have had a friend lukin at it and he has made sure carb is ok changed the petrol took the head off and cheked the rings aint stikin he said he thinks its  the woodruff key or something like that but then he  removed all casin 2 gt 2 woodruff key and then he couldnt gt a part of it luked 2 me as if it was magnetic he said that the woodruff key sits behind it and he thinks wen it locked up that it wasnt anything 2 do wiyh piston he thinks it was the part he couldnt get off sorry i cant tell u the part as i dont no much about bikes if u have any ideas please let me no thanks

Holy crap.  You forgot a period at the end of the worlds longest sentence.  Anyway, I would suggest taking it apart, and re-do the rebuild.  You'll probably spend less time than trying to track down the problem one piece at a time.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 12:59:48 PM »
If the woodruff key is off the timing is not correct.  I think your friend was on the right track.  1st thing you need is a manual so you know what your getting into.  You need to continue to to remove the flywheel to get to the key.  The woodruff key is an inexpensive part.  The problem is the timing is off, and its not firing at the proper time.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 01:08:09 PM »
If the woodruff key is off the timing is not correct.  I think your friend was on the right track.  1st thing you need is a manual so you know what your getting into.  You need to continue to to remove the flywheel to get to the key.  The woodruff key is an inexpensive part.  The problem is the timing is off, and its not firing at the proper time.

Well the first problem is the way he communicates, LOL. If he asked in way most of us older guys who don't text all day could understand, he would get more suggestions for fixes ;D .

But I agree with you about the timing. Very real possibility that's the culprit. Stick around so you can interpret all his posts for us  :D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 07:08:16 PM »
I know I'm almost a year late on this thread , but good lord, if he woulda come into my shop talking like he types, I woulda slapped him upside the head.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.