Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Working local cross country race this weekend  (Read 2797 times)

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Working local cross country race this weekend
« on: May 01, 2019, 06:20:20 AM »
Looking forward to the weekend as I will be working a cross country race.  I worked one last year and really enjoyed myself.  I especially enjoyed helping the little guys / gals on their little PW's.  We had one little guy who fell over while trying to get up a little hill, several volunteers jumped in and picked him up, put him on his bike and got him up the hill and encouraged him to continue on...  He was almost in tears and scared, but we got him going again and he finished the race.  I happen to see him and his family after the race and congratulated him on finishing...  the smile on his face was priceless.  The thank you from the parents was heartfelt as they saw us pick him up and get him going again.   

In the adult classes, I helped several downed riders, and even had a guy ask if I had a spark plug as his was about to foul.  Of course I did... as I about to pull the plug out of his motor, I see the issue and mention to him to turn off the choke.  I put in my fresh plug, he turns off the choke and it fires up 1st kick as a 2 stroke should...  he thanks me and takes off...  he found me after the race to thank me, and wanted to pay for the plug...  I think I can cover the $2.00 for the plug...  he was so embarrassed about leaving the choke on...  :o   

It's been a little wet, but hope it dries up by Sunday.  I'll be on the track following the groups looking for those that need assistance.  Looking forward to a fun day
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Working local cross country race this weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 06:09:19 AM »
The week prior to race day, it rained... and it rained some more.  It did clear up on Sunday (race day)  but the track was a muddy mess...  I did not ride the track, but instead setup at a few hills during the pee wee races. They needed assistance to get up some of the hills.  For the adult races I helped with scoring and time keeping. 

Here's a video someone from the race posted.  The soil a the park is mostly clay...  so when it get wet, its like riding on ice.  The video doesn't give the true perspective as to how muddy / slippery it was...  Although as you'll see many had to stop and take a break, as the extra effort required really sapped the strength of many riders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz2Rg3B18Y&t=748s
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 03:57:42 PM »
yeah, i know all about rain epro. New England has been inundated with the wet stuff, it will be over a month since I've been on the bike.

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:49:35 AM »
The soil a the park is mostly clay...  so when it get wet, its like riding on ice.  The video doesn't give the true perspective as to how muddy / slippery it was...  Although as you'll see many had to stop and take a break, as the extra effort required really sapped the strength of many riders.

I race an off road series on a similar clay course. Our season ending race is 6 hrs long, and the night before the last one it rained really hard. In the morning the woods were like ice. I got a good start but I had a strategy and by the end of the first lap I was in last place - out of ALL the classes.

I watched everybody fly past me, some off into the woods, but all of them slipping and sliding all over the place while I took it easy and preserved my energy until the course dried up. It did in the second hour and I had lot's of energy left to run a good pace.

I finished second overall
Ontario, Canada

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 10:16:54 AM »
Good job beaner